Mykelti Lefau | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mykelti Lefau

Slowly building form. Very slowly!

He is playing KPF at the moment, which isnt meant to be his position. But he doesnt look a small forward either. Or a lead up medium forward. He doesnt show any attributes of being an AFL mid.
For those who have watched him play well in the VFL, where should he be playing?

All i know is we are desperate for anyone taller than 5'10" to mark the ball. Thought we got mugged in the air again cept for Nank.

Slowly building form. Very slowly!

He is playing KPF at the moment, which isnt meant to be his position. But he doesnt look a small forward either. Or a lead up medium forward. He doesnt show any attributes of being an AFL mid.
For those who have watched him play well in the VFL, where should he be playing?

Mid-forward or try him on the wing perhaps but I'm not convinced on what I've seen.

He averages in his 3 games, 5 disposals, 1.5 tackles, 1 goal, 1.5 marks

At 195 cms I don't see any leaping marks, crashing packs, or running down players with his so-called speed and his pressure is non-existent.
It's time he goes back to the ressies to work on his game.

Reactions: 1 user
Mid-forward or try him on the wing perhaps but I'm not convinced on what I've seen.

He averages in his 3 games, 5 disposals, 1.5 tackles, 1 goal, 1.5 marks

At 195 cms I don't see any leaping marks, crashing packs, or running down players with his so-called speed and his pressure is non-existent.
It's time he goes back to the ressies to work on his game.
Playing the toughest position on the ground. A lot being asked of him for one so raw. His first qtr was pretty good. He should at least get another 6 or so games to show improvement.

Playing the toughest position on the ground. A lot being asked of him for one so raw. His first qtr was pretty good. He should at least get another 6 or so games to show improvement.

Mate I've shown his numbers he has been average. Can't have him on his L's whilst in the seniors, hence why I said back to the ressies to work on his game.
If Cumbo was doing those numbers the knives would be out and you can't defend that.

What's his one wood that sets him apart? He is 26 years old and I don't see anything that screams out wow!

Still early, but shouldn't be given games if he is not contributing enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Kosi has copped a fair bit but Lefau also struggled today. These guys are simply punching above their weight.
Mykelti Lefau is quite a different package to Kosi. No need to explain how.
The bigger question is should their performance be compared from week to week as an indicator of who stays in and who is sent back to the VFL, or is Mykelti worth persevering with over the season, come what may.
I wrote sometime ago that I thought he was one of the most interesting prospects to arrive at the club in many years.
His principle talent is speed. Added is his courage, confidence and physical strength. Also that he is a reliable set shot. He reminds me a lot of Noah Balta, whom I currently rank as one of our top 5.

We are in rebuild mode. Don't mind where we finish but I do want to see players who show potential to improve, coupled with speed and courage.
So as I see it, no point in giving preference to Kosi but worth persevering with Mykelti. Would love to see Dusty take a leading role in his coaching.

Reactions: 2 users
Mate I've shown his numbers he has been average. Can't have him on his L's whilst in the seniors, hence why I said back to the ressies to work on his game.
If Cumbo was doing those numbers the knives would be out and you can't defend that.

What's his one wood that sets him apart? He is 26 years old and I don't see anything that screams out wow!
Cumberlamds numbers are /were better than just about every other permanent foward since 2022...picket ,mj ,mansell ,graham ,cotchin...only jack and lynch were more damaging ...we need speedy x factor goal kickers and he is it.I dont buy that utter rubbish about bad body language blah blah blah..the guy showed geniune passion and from all reports is a well liked ,lovely kid ...
Just play him...what the hell does graham do that warrants his position ? It is NOT two way running ..Pickett Kmac and now MJ ,RIOLI snd campbell are two way runners ...
The cumbo thing is just plain bizarre

Reactions: 4 users
Mykelti Lefau is quite a different package to Kosi. No need to explain how.
The bigger question is should their performance be compared from week to week as an indicator of who stays in and who is sent back to the VFL, or is Mykelti worth persevering with over the season, come what may.
I wrote sometime ago that I thought he was one of the most interesting prospects to arrive at the club in many years.
His principle talent is speed. Added is his courage, confidence and physical strength. Also that he is a reliable set shot. He reminds me a lot of Noah Balta, whom I currently rank as one of our top 5.

We are in rebuild mode. Don't mind where we finish but I do want to see players who show potential to improve, coupled with speed and courage.
So as I see it, no point in giving preference to Kosi but worth persevering with Mykelti. Would love to see Dusty take a leading role in his coaching.

Agree - Lefau is an interesting type with a different skill set. Persevere

As to where I think it should be high forward. He has the speed to gain separation and the accuracy to convrrt his possessions, when they come.
A nice complement to Lynch and Noah when they return.
Learning leading patterns should be a focus.
Brown to Lefau … music.

Agree - Lefau is an interesting type with a different skill set. Persevere
I think it is a relevant question to consider whether his development is best served struggling in the AFL, or potentiality getting a few kicks in the VFL.
I'm not sure the answer.

Reactions: 3 users
Should persist with Lefau with Lynch Balta out but not as main forward he should play as 3rd tall behind Ryan/Naismith Kosi

For mine he needs to be our game day squad every week and used wherever needed as he learns the ropes.

His physical attributes, kicking skills and natural competitiveness are just what we needed with the transitioning out of the old guard.

I think it is a relevant question to consider whether his development is best served struggling in the AFL, or potentiality getting a few kicks in the VFL.
I'm not sure the answer.

fair question Broderick...

He's kicked 3 goals in 3 games, not bad for a rookie forward. I've not attended any games so not sure how he's going off the ball.

fair question Broderick...

He's kicked 3 goals in 3 games, not bad for a rookie forward. I've not attended any games so not sure how he's going off the ball.
A bit of bash and crash but doesn't over do it. Just enough to say be careful.

Cumberlamds numbers are /were better than just about every other permanent foward since 2022...picket ,mj ,mansell ,graham ,cotchin...only jack and lynch were more damaging ...we need speedy x factor goal kickers and he is it.I dont buy that utter rubbish about bad body language blah blah blah..the guy showed geniune passion and from all reports is a well liked ,lovely kid ...
Just play him...what the hell does graham do that warrants his position ? It is NOT two way running ..Pickett Kmac and now MJ ,RIOLI snd campbell are two way runners ...
The cumbo thing is just plain bizarre
Has he ever had more than 1 good 1/4 at senior level? i

Not many 3 gamers hold down the key forward position. Let him play, let him develop. He’s still finding his feet, how his teammates play, posted.
He has no experienced mentor along side him. It will be a long lesson. But there’s no other option

Almost a code hopper apart from a few seasons with St Kilda City, and now having to do his footballing apprenticeship in the big league, Mykelti has literally been thrown in the deep end. Has his head above water and is contributing ok. I like the cut of his jib. Worth investing in and persevering with.

Not many 3 gamers hold down the key forward position. Let him play, let him develop. He’s still finding his feet, how his teammates play, posted.
He has no experienced mentor along side him. It will be a long lesson. But there’s no other option

Wlllo he can play and learn in the ressies. This isnt work experience.

He'll make way for Ryan or Naismith to play alongside Kosi