Nathan (Axel) Foley [MERGED] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nathan (Axel) Foley [MERGED]

Re: Nathan Foley

the claw said:
mel and missing we are talking footballers now not duds go to the back of the claas and put on the dunces hat please.

You did bite though

;)

I remember reding a quote where you addmitted flying the Petticoat flag on Saturday Night, deep down we all know you love the bloke mate :grouphug

Just needs to keep improving with the extended game time he is getting. Going OK at the moment, just needs to work on disposal by foot to make the leap.

Reminds me of Daniel Cross at the Bulldogs.

Disco08 said:
20 touches and 5 clearances yesterday.

Still only spent 67 minutes on the ground.

Apparently the RFC pay him by TOG. ;)

Looks like it.

Is it fitness that stops him playing 90 or 100 minutes? He'd easily be in the top 10 clearance players in the league if he continued that type of output over more TOG (and be in the lofty company of players like Judd, Hodge, Mitchell, Goodwin, etc.)

Wallace is using him perfectly.67 minutes is just right IMO.

It's about time we had someone to come off the bench week in,week out who can still keep us competative in the all important centre clearance stakes.

Any player who keeps Chaffey playing for Coburg is all right by me.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Hartbalme said:
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Likes the way Foley goes about it however IMO his AFL career is on borrowed time.

In what sense, J2R ?
The one positive in Foley,s favour is he,s great in & under however apart from that he hasnt got to many tricks up his sleeve.Would be great if he was quicker.He would be pretty lethal if he had the speed to compliment his in & under capabilities.He would get a game at the Dome and the SCG because of the size of the grounds whereas at any other ground his lack of pace would be exposed.
I just have a gut feeling that TW doesnt see Foley as a long term prospect under the game plan of run and carry.

You're wrong. The run and carry game, starts from the middle. It's great to have four to five different styles of centre/midfielders, makes it harder for the opposition to match up. Cogs, Tivs, Tucky, Foley, Johnno, kraks, Lids have different qualities.
Cogs and Foley are both similar in pace, Cogs has a tall and stronger body, Foley has quick hands, both are gusty.

a guy who gets the ball that often and we leave him on the bench...

what if he actually play a full game? i dont see what there is to lose by playing him for a whole game, what if he gets 30 - 35 possies, sets up a few? i cant see what there is thats holding him back..

stupidest thing ive ever heard, got a complete ball magnet as a player so he plays 40 minutes and sits on the bench?

im no genius but this is as plain as black and white to me...

get the kid on!

He's starting to get media attention, too. Mentioned amongst others as one youngster who has a long future in the yellow & black ahead of him. today.

why hasn't he earned a rising star nomination??? it's staggering when you compare him to some of the other kids who have been nominated this year. he's played every game this year hasn't he? how many kids eligible for the rising star have played every game this year?

He has played 12 out of 13 games. He will probably get a nomination next week if he plays alright.

Something that really impressed me on yesterday was Nathan backing up Tambling when he took on the Neanderthal (Rocca).

When Rocca slung Tambling to the ground after the whistle was blown, Richie jumped up and went him.....loved it, David and Goliath, and then the next thing you know there are 2 more Tigers there backing him up, one being Foley and the other I couldn't see (maybe Newman :'( ).

It is an aspect of the Tigers game that has been seriously lacking over recent years and was good to see the kids going in to bat for one another, suggests some serious comraderie developing down at Punt Road. And the fact that it was Rocca copping it, made it that much sweeter.

Carn the Tiges!!!

as far as im concerned he should be the starting rover. do we have rovers anymore :-\. cmon terry iasked weeks ago give the weeble a decent go.

the claw said:
as far as im concerned he should be the starting rover. do we have rovers anymore :-\. cmon terry iasked weeks ago give the weeble a decent go.

He's getting his possessions competing against the 2nd/3rd rotation midfielders generally. He's averaging ~14 touches a game at this stage and has had four single digit possession games and three 10 possession games (7 of 12 appearances in other words). If he's going missing more than every 2nd game against the 2nd/3rd midfield rotation, then IMO he's not close to starting on the ball against the 1st midfield rotation yet.

Finally, he's not seasoned enough to spend more time on the ball than he already is.

Evo is right, he's getting the right amount of game time as it is and doing very well for us on occasion in the 2nd rotation. He's coming along steadily and overall has had a pretty good season, but he's nowhere near 1st rotation yet IMO...be another couple of seasons yet perhaps.

You seem to be missing the picture Rayzor - Foley is averaging 14 possession a game but not playing more than 60 minutes. That works out at about 28 possies for a full game which is OK in my book. I also disagree with your assessment that he plays against the second tier rotations. Usually starts on the pine but I notice Wallace inserts him when we need some centre clearances ususally when the game is in the balance. I think they can step him up a bit. I think he was viewed as a direct replacement for Campbell early on in the season but with Cogs out I think he can start playing 90 plus minutes per game. If he does, then, like Polo and Raines, he will give the rising star award a real shake!!