Nathan (Axel) Foley [MERGED] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nathan (Axel) Foley [MERGED]

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
never having seen nathan foley play football it is hard to get an idea of how this player is developing and his potential . the reports filtering through seem to sugest that he knows where the ball is and gets his hands on it plenty of times . the down side is that he lacks pace and his kicking skills are suspect , from this description it sounds like a young greg williams .before some of you jump down my throat sideways and bag me for sugesting this just remember that greg williams was dumped by both carlton and geelong as not being good enough for afl but went on to win a brownlow . that type of player is rare today as clubs are looking for athletes and silky skills so it would be great if we unearthed a gem in foley . for those posters who have seen him play is it posible that foley could develop into a williams type player????????????????????????

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Re: nathan foley

I recall that Williams was dumped by Carlton, but I recall that he starred for Geelong, then got poached by Sydney. Probably the big difference between Foley and Williams is that Williams got his chance to become a star. Foley is still yet to get his chance.

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005

I don't there was anything wrong with Williams kicking skills either.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

yandb said:
never having seen nathan foley play football it is hard to get an idea of how this player is developing and his potential . the reports filtering through seem to sugest that he knows where the ball is and gets his hands on it plenty of times . the down side is that he lacks pace and his kicking skills are suspect , from this description it sounds like a young greg williams .before some of you jump down my throat sideways and bag me for sugesting this just remember that greg williams was dumped by both carlton and geelong as not being good enough for afl but went on to win a brownlow . that type of player is rare today as clubs are looking for athletes and silky skills so it would be great if we unearthed a gem in foley . for those posters who have seen him play is it posible that foley could develop into a williams type player????????????????????????

PM Harry y&b, he's written a thesis on Foley

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

Besides his kicking being ok, Williams was also about 12kg heavier and an enforcer !!!

There's little similarity at all.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

Don't worry yandb, Foley will get his chance and will be a good player. Comparing him to Williams is a bit far fetched as Williams had one of the best kicks in the game and had some mongrel in him. I like to compare Foley to a mix between Lambert and Broderick, not a good penetrating kick but reads the play really well and has amazing hands. These comparisons to Ednie are not accurate as Ednie was an outside jockey in comparison. Foley wins all his 30 odd posessions every week and goes in very hard. He's not a light weight by any stretch but will put on a few more kilo's as he matures some more. Remember he had no pre-season at all and is Coburgs best every week which suggests he would be much better if he had one. He'll get his chance and when he does Tiger fans will love the way he goes about it.

jayfox

Tiger Champion
Nov 11, 2003

Redford said:
I'll accept the Lambert comparison, which is much more accurate.
Speaking of our younger players what do you think of the recruiting of Polo instead of Eckermann? ;)

Bingo!

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 21, 2004
Melbourne

We will never know unless he gets a go.

However this year is a playing field too far - suggest promote him next year, play him in the wizard cup and hopefully, he'll star.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham

I read in the local newspaper that Bourke, Sziller and Rogers are playing footy under Broderick for East Burwood.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

jayfox said:
Redford said:
Speaking of our younger players what do you think of the recruiting of Polo instead of Eckermann?  ;)

Don't you mean "Eckermann or a bunch of others" ?

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002

Foley the most talked about rookie since Plapp.Lets hope he isnt all huff and puff like Plapp

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003

Leave him alone.....All of you! ....ALL OF YOU!

Gargs51

Tiger Cub
Jul 27, 2004

Nice to see you are learning Evo.

My opinion of Foley is that he reads the play very well, he is solid and knows how to get the ball, unfortunately we haven't seen the best of him as yet, he has been troubled by a knee all year, hardly done a preseason, but is now getting play time with Coburg, the broblem is going to be that even if he plays well with Coburg he won't be elevated to our senior side if we get an injury because of the salary cap, that is what my understanding is at the moment.

JPM

Will Richmond ever be the one?
Sep 3, 2003
East Melbourne

FullBackFwd said:
jayfox said:
Redford said:
Speaking of our younger players what do you think of the recruiting of Polo instead of Eckermann?  ;)

Duck... here comes evo & chuck  :help

That was far more subdude than I was expecting, well done lads :clap

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne

Chuck said:
Nice to see you are learning Evo.

My opinion of Foley is that he reads the play very well, he is solid and knows how to get the ball, unfortunately we haven't seen the best of him as yet, he has been troubled by a knee all year, hardly done a preseason, but is now getting play time with Coburg, the broblem is going to be that even if he plays well with Coburg he won't be elevated to our senior side if we get an injury because of the salary cap, that is what my understanding is at the moment.

Is it salary cap or just money that's the problem?