Nathan (Axel) Foley [MERGED] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nathan (Axel) Foley [MERGED]

Re: Nathan Foley

I don't think he has to run, I think it was Foley that got the quick kick out of the middle against the Crows to Pattison?

I don't know if he even took two steps... if it was him...

Shers said:
Young Nathan will never win races over 50 or 100 metres.
However, over 10 to 20 metres he has a bit of toe.  I think all teams need one or two players who are on the bottom of packs feeding the ball out.  I realise Kane, Cogs and Tucky do that too, but at times they are required in other parts of the ground, as well as resting on the bench.
If Nathan keeps improving, I'm pretty sure he'll be with the Tiges for a while yet.

That was the same with Bartlett too.

We all watched Bartlett and knew that he'd always be beaten over 50-100 metres, but he was unbeatable over a first 20 metres. That's a rover's plight. Ask any true rover from any competition, and we'll tell you that in run-throughs we always lead the pack over the first 20 metres then we get overhauled.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Hartbalme said:
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Likes the way Foley goes about it however IMO his AFL career is on borrowed time.

In what sense, J2R ?
The one positive in Foley,s favour is he,s great in & under however apart from that he hasnt got to many tricks up his sleeve.Would be great if he was quicker.He would be pretty lethal if he had the speed to compliment his in & under capabilities.He would get a game at the Dome and the SCG because of the size of the grounds whereas at any other ground his lack of pace would be exposed.
I just have a gut feeling that TW doesnt see Foley as a long term prospect under the game plan of run and carry.

Yeah, knew another bloke a bit like that - Greg Williams - not much pace, but geez he made the ball look quick.

Thinking out loud though, does anyone know whether more goals are scored from centre clearances or from rebound attacks? ???

If it's the latter, maybe guys like Foley will stuggle unless they can read the play like Williams, be ready in a damaging position like Williams and have top decision and execution skills like Williams (oh and being a dirty little mongrel like Williams helps as well ;))

feisty tige said:
I don't think he has to run, I think it was Foley that got the quick kick out of the middle against the Crows to Pattison?

I don't know if he even took two steps... if it was him...

It was him... threw it on the boot and it was a kind of mongrel inverse torpie that fell into Pattison's lap.

taraba said:
I have another angle to suggest that young Nathan Foley might struggle. When you think of list management and who you're going to cut over the next few seasons his name would come up for a variety of reasons.

Firstly, if we want some quality picks in the superdraft we need to make space on the list. This year should not be too much of a problem but it depends on the number of picks we want. Obviously Stafford, Humm and Chaff would be almost gone. Not sure on Chaff and suspect we might hold on to Gas and Chubba. At least one of the two. And then you have to factor who is still in contract. Like D-Rod would be gone for sure but he's contracted for another year so that cancels him out. And unless you want to get rid of guys like Krak and Tivva, both of whom are playing great footy this year BTW and then you are already starting to delve into the stocks of our younger players.

Year after and the 2006 draftees are all on two year deals and we may or may not have delisted most of the above mentioned veterans. So think about who you're going to delist that year and then think of the year after. Unless we are drafting duds that you want to cut after two or three years it is going to be a difficult process.

So as much as I hate to say it, ultimately you'd think it's going to be guys like Foley who get the chop. When our side is more developed to Terry's plans it should be loaded with skilled running players and a couple of grunt types. If he keeps improving he could still be there in the future but he's gonna have to try and surpass players like Sugar and Cogs. That is his challenge to stay on the list.

You can add Roach and Moore to the list of Stafford, Humm, Chaff and possibly Gaspar for my early predictions, with Rodan a possibility for trade with a year to go on his contract they may pay him out if they have to, which is why he should not have been signed for two years when really he hasnt done a huge amount . With the emphasis on youth now i wouldnt be shocked to see a so called big name bandied about as a trade.
I also cant help but think with the emphasis on quality talls and i mean blokes over 194 cm not 190 cm utilities of quality at this years draft that either one of Limbach or McGuane could face delisting ala Archie and Gilmore or probably a better option would be demotion to the rookie list to open up another spot for a more highly rated draftee, which would give them more development time as they both require it, sadly AFL does not allow youngsters 5 years grace anymore.

Moore was a given and with Limbo and McGuane you'd have to delist them first before you could rookie them which would mean any other club could pick them up before we had our first rookie pick.

As for Tommy Roach, I suspect he may surprise a few people and eventually make it.

taraba said:
Moore was a given and with Limbo and McGuane you'd have to delist them first before you could rookie them which would mean any other club could pick them up before we had our first rookie pick.

As for Tommy Roach, I suspect he may surprise a few people and eventually make it.

Dont think clubs would be falling over each other to take Limbach or McGuane ahead of good kids that miss this years draft or other likely types, i think if we delisted one of them we would not have trouble redrafting them.
If we had to delist one i would say Limbach as of this moment then redraft him as a rookie for another year or so and see if he comes on.

Between our retirees and the fact that we have to date not really ever looked at the non-dud kids, I believe fringe senior player like Foley won't be in the firing line this year.

As for Rodan, he is on peanuts and given we won't have any retirees next year - we'll need him to make room for next year's draft.

Does anyone think like me that Tivva has made himself a more attractive trade proposition - or is that blasphemy (trading a player who is doing his best to save his career)?

Not one of our Kids at this stage I think TW would have put a line through, a couple of course are up against it,but they all would be still a chance to be retained on the list come seasons end if they can have good 2nd halfs of the year.I think there will be more from the over 25s gone at the end of the year then the under 25s.

CC TIGER said:
Not one of our Kids at this stage I think TW would have put a line through, a couple of course are up against it,but they all would be still a chance to be retained on the list come seasons end if they can have good 2nd halfs of the year.I think there will be more from the over 25s gone at the end of the year then the under 25s.

Spot on CC - even though this is the year for Moore and Roach to show something, Terry will give them a chance to prove if they can cut it.

All I know is that if all our players had the guts to throw themselves wherever the ball is like Weeble then we'd be a formidable opponent each and every week.

Ms Tantie.
xox

Foley's clearance work keeps improving. It's a real strength.

When G.Ablett jr was running around on his own for much of the first half Foley was on him. Admittedly he gave a few hidings on the day.

Foley has to get more and better c;earances to justify his lack of defensive pressure. Maybe he can improve in both areas. He'll have to.

ATM he helps to give us a great blend at the stoppages (and he's learning the caper). A much less one dimensional blend than last season. If he's dropped it will be the lack of defensive pressure he's exerting ATM.

But I've been pleasantly surprised by his improvement. He's a valuable cog in our new found stoppage strength.

the knocks on foley are the same that were placed on sam mitchell at the start of his career...

This kid needs some more game time!

Now that Lids is likely to be out of the side, I think it's a good opertunity to give Foley a full game.

Go Weeble! :hihi

Dyer'ere said:
ATM he helps to give us a great blend at the stoppages (and he's learning the caper). A much less one dimensional blend than last season. If he's dropped it will be the lack of defensive pressure he's exerting ATM.

But I've been pleasantly surprised by his improvement. He's a valuable cog in our new found stoppage strength.

Absolutely, we need to keep in mind that Foley is just an apprentice and a good one at that.  With 14 games (I think) under his belt he is learning the caper and has a very experienced professor to teach him, however I have this feeling that he may be overtaken in the near future by a young Tony Free by the name of Matty White.  Having said that, it would beneficial for the structure of the team when both of these boys are running on the park at the same time, very exciting times ahead.

ok blokes who have one or more or all of these deficiencies cant kick cant run lack speed lack ticker lack size.a footy brain cant find enough footy and others and have generally underperformed over a long period of time.
tivendale stafford chaffey gaspar kellaway and hall of the senior group are all extremely expendable.list structure probably compels us to hang on to hall and kellaway for a couple of yrs yet. the truth of the matter is if we had of been better run and had some decent people in recruitment we would be rid of these players yrs ago. of the mid tier players krakouer pettifer rodan and moore are expendable and in some cases tradeable.of the kids out of the rookies hum and howat 21 and under  schulz jackson roach limbach. i must say i dont like naming kids but imo all of the above must be in the gun and schulz and jackson must have some trade value.
at this point in time retirements would be stafford gaspar and chaffey.most likely delistings rodan moore limbach and roach. trades krakouer tivendale although i seriously doubt if anyone would offer anything up for either and pettifer . also all players on the list are tradeable for the right deal.

Claw,
I think at the moment that Pettifer would be worth a fair bit on the trade table. Many clubs would be keen to have Pettifer at their club playing the way he's playing for the Tigers this year.
Not that he will be traded.

Shers said:
Claw,
I think at the moment that Pettifer would be worth a fair bit on the trade table. 

Spot on Shers, Petts is appreciating like Uranium at the minute.