Nathan Batsanis (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nathan Batsanis (merged)

Re: Red Evo and Phanto: Opinions on Nathan Batsanis from Oakeigh please

Phantom said:
Tigerdog said:
Well of course you cant say Phantom. Maybe I should have made my question more clear.
In your opinion, where do you see a player like Batsanis as going in the draft, judging by what you have seen of him?

BTW Phantom what can you tell us about a bloke name Caleb Mouresh (sp?) from WA? Noticed on BF that some guy had him as our first round selection in his phantom draft. Although I am not worried about it happening, I wouldnt mind finding out some more about this guy.

Sorry, missed your reply until now.

Batsanis could be anywhere from round 3 on, I guess.
Depends on who wants him badly enough.

Mouresh is a very interesting prospect.
He comes from Geraldton and is supposed to be a 6'3" ruck rover type.
He's reputed to be the complete junior package.
Also, he's supposed to be best mates with Pat Ryder, now with the Bombers.
He played the one Colts game to qualify for the National Draft.

Not much info, it would need someone who has seen him to comment better.

I know that Essendon have looked at him.
I didn't want to talk about him, without knowing anything substantial.
It would be hard to gauge a player who has had so little mainstream experience.

One might suspect a taller version of Carl Peterson.

A speculative pick indeed.
Thanks Phantom. I took a trip over to BomberBlitz and read some similar info. They reckon over there that Sheeds has been trying to hide him.

Geeze Batsanis looked the buisness during the finals bigdog.

Lovely kick.Obviously Richmond wont be interested in him. ;D

I've tended to become more sceptical of TAC GF stars being upfront stars in the AFL.

I suppose it goes back the year the Sandy Dragons won.
Certain stars in that GF - Poyas, Ries, Ainley & Spriggs - didn't go onto become household names.

Then there was the Murray's turn in the late 90s with Horn & Shir ending the same way.

Later, names such as Gathercole, Hazell & Heaslwood followed the same path.

Only a couple of year's ago Jesse D. Smith has been another to be in that questionable territory.

To me, you've got to have something more than just playing well on one big day.

On the other side of the coin,

Fraser & Pettifer did well for the Murray that year.

Eddie Betts made it too.

But these had that special extra something going for them.

One or two good games does not make player.
But it is the Richmond way to think they are stars after such games.
Have a look at our list over the last 10 -20 years.

Phantom said:
I've tended to become more sceptical of TAC GF stars being upfront stars in the AFL.

I suppose it goes back the year the Sandy Dragons won.
Certain stars in that GF - Poyas, Ries, Ainley & Spriggs - didn't go onto become household names.

Then there was the Murray's turn in the late 90s with Horn & Shir ending the same way.

Later, names such as Gathercole, Hazell & Heaslwood followed the same path.

Only a couple of year's ago Jesse D. Smith has been another to be in that questionable territory.

To me, you've got to have something more than just playing well on one big day.

On the other side of the coin,

Fraser & Pettifer did well for the Murray that year.

Eddie Betts made it too.

But these had that special extra something going for them.

phantom I believe adam goodes, thomas, and amon buchanan alos had preety good grand finals too !!!

Yep. I remember Adam Goodes GF very well. As I've posted before it was my favourite TAC GF. And Goodes' effort at CHF for the NBR that day was a match winning effort. Think he kicked about 5 goals in NBR come from behind win.

Thomas, of course, played in last year's win by Gippsland over the Stingrays. Whole side did well.

Yep. And Amon Buchanan. He had a great TAC finals series. I remember, after it, telling all my Tiger contacts that we should get Buchanan. Even when he was later delisted I said, "Great we've got a 2nd chance."
But then again, I remember saying exactly the same thing about Stephen Milne, years before.

Nathan Batsanis training with Richmond

The word is Nathan Batsanis is training with the Tigers.

What can those in the know say about him?

Also are there any other juniors who missed out on the draft training with are who we may look at in the PSD?

Cheers

Re: Nathan Batsanis training with Richmond

ive seen him play 2 games only plus tapes tv but he looks okay to me. has a great body shape finds plenty of the ball and what ive seen uses it pretty well most of the time.

Just punch 'Batsanis' into the search engine Oldy. That should bring up a bit of reading on him.

He is on the short list of potential rookies along with a number of others.

Nathan played with us at Doncaster cricket club a couple of seasons ago before his football committments totally consumed his time. He is a wonderful kid, and seeing the things he could do with the footy in a kick around impressed me. I believe he is the nephew of Peter Daicos as a small bit of trivia. Only saw him play in the TAC GF and still dont know how he wasnt BOG.....

Would love to see him with the Tigers

the claw said:
ive seen him play 2 games only plus tapes  tv but he looks okay to me. has a great body shape finds plenty of the ball and what ive seen uses it pretty well most of the time.

Well that's an excellent recommendation. :clap

Tigerdog said:
Just punch 'Batsanis' into the search engine Oldy. That should bring up a bit of reading on him.
:thumbsup
Cheers all.

There's a link that tells a little more about him here, but not much info..
http://www.puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=18018.15

Seems many thought he'd go in the draft at about dp50?

Described as a player in a similar vein to Joel Smith from the Dawks.
Does that seem like a reasonable comparison?

If the boy is as good as some say then take him PSD and forget Kingsley ffs. ;D

Young Guns Record Rare Double

Five bright young stars have capped outstanding 2006 seasons by adding club best and fairest awards to their TAC Cup Team of the Year honours.

Bendigo Pioneer Jarryn Geary, Geelong Falcon Daniel O’Keefe, and the Western Jets’ Cameron Lockwood achieved the prestigious double and boosted their chances of being selected in the upcoming AFL National Draft.

Meanwhile, Oakleigh Chargers midfielder Nathan Batsanis had the distinction of topping his club’s voting in a premiership year and was named on a wing in the Team of the Year, while his opposite number in the Grand Final, Calder skipper Andrew Horne, took out the Cannons’ top award to go along with his TAC Cup Coaches Award and selection as first rover in the Team of the Year.

Other TAC Cup best and fairest winners were Curtis Barker from the Dandenong Stingrays, Matt Lobbe from Eastern Ranges, Gippsland Power’s Tom Johnston, the Murray Bushrangers’ Mark Tyrell, Jack Grimes of the Northern Knights, Daniel Anthony from the Sandringham Dragons, while Myles Sewell took out the award for the North Ballarat Rebels, who completed the home and away season undefeated.

In other TAC Cup best and fairest news, dual Morrish Medalist Fortunato Caruso finished third at Calder, Geelong’s Michael Rockefeller finished second despite missing most games through school football commitments, while Rhyce Prismall, brother of emerging Geelong on-baller Brent, topped off a solid year with second place at the Western Jets.

I read on the AFL website he is training with Hawthorn.

checkside said:

He tried out with us on Sunday in the Rookie Selection trial exercise along with Ryan Anderson (dumped), Harbrow, Avery, Jak-Kennedy, Sherringham and a number of others.

As Redders said, he was there on Sunday morning. There were a handful of boys who did stand out, I don't believe that he was one of them.

There are many boys who have missed out this year who would have made it in other years.

Consider that both Kennedy-Hunt & Macaffer missed out this year, whereas similar types from last year, McKinley & Neagle, were 2nd & 3rd round picks. (Still can't believe Neagle got picked up.)

Hopefully Batsanis & his peers can find a club in the rookie draft, if not I would suggest the SANFL, WAFL or VFL. But he should keep at it. If he wants it badly enough, and works hard enough then he should make it.

I would recommend full athletic training over the summer to aim for the following criteria:
1. A sub 3:00 for 20m,
2. A beep up near 14.
During the cricket season there are plenty of cricket pitches to practise on.

There is however the stat that his KERs & HERs were ordinary in the TAC 2006.
This showed up last Sunday morning.

Redford said:
checkside said:

He tried out with us on Sunday in the Rookie Selection trial exercise along with Ryan Anderson (dumped), Harbrow, Avery, Jak-Kennedy, Sherringham and a number of others.

what do you know about damien rayson that trained with us on sunday too?