New clash jumper - reversed strip | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New clash jumper - reversed strip

Panthera Tigris said:
As long as we don't go down the route of most other clubs in fundamentally changing the clash strip every year or every other year. I dislike Collingwood as much as the next person, but admire that they developed a clash strip that, although is quite discernible from their primary strip, still looks very Collingwood (in truth, the primarily white strip looks closer to what they wore for the majority of their history, than their predominately black strip). And have stuck to it now with minimal change, creating a tradition. Don't think any other club has done that.

St.Kilda have had some reasonable clash strips too, particularly when they essentially just change the black back to white, wear white shorts and add some extra white to their socks. Still looks very St.Kilda like. Or alternatively wear their heritage 'barber shop' strip with white shorts. But where they lose points in my view is changing it from year to year and indeed, come up with some shockers like this year's, when trying to reinvent the wheel.

yeah agree. The only thing you would look at is perhaps changing to yellow shorts and perhaps consider a black sash on the back. but essentially it should resemble the 2017 GF guernsey for the next 50 years.

some of the interstate teams have come up with some Barry Crockers. over the years. Adelaide's yellow this year. the west coast spew shirt. the Freo green. The Victorian teams tend to make more of an effort to stay closer to their traditional colours.

Ian4 said:
yeah agree. The only thing you would look at is perhaps changing to yellow shorts and perhaps consider a black sash on the back. but essentially it should resemble the 2017 GF guernsey for the next 50 years.

some of the interstate teams have come up with some Barry Crockers. over the years. Adelaide's yellow this year. the west coast spew shirt. the Freo green. The Victorian teams tend to make more of an effort to stay closer to their traditional colours.
Hawthorn are as guilty as some of the interstaters for trying to reinvent the wheel with ghastly consequences. Shocking examples. Not sure why they don't just wear their heritage jumper - which is brown with a yellow 'V' and yellow number, rather than the shocking silver and white abominations with silly pictures on the front, they seem to keep inventing (truth be known, who clashes with yellow and brown anyway?).

Melbourne, total shockers most of the time. Why wear a white jumper when white isn't even one of their colours? The only decent clash strip they came up with was the red one with the navy blue 'MFC' monogram on the front. But abandoned it after a year.

North Melbourne, who can forget their terrible Argentina inspired strip? At least now they seem to have settled on the same methodology as Collingwood.

As for your point on the Crows. Not sure why they don't simply reverse the navy blue on their primary jumper with the red to create a clash strip and stick to that for eternity. Would actually look quite good and look very South Australian - a bit of a SA State of Origin flavour. The Eagles, similar. Their original 1987 jumper is just a reversal of their royal blue primary one. Why not just use that as a clash strip?

Happy for the 2017 Premiership jersey to become our permanent away strip. Might as well get on the front foot and do it before it's mandated by the AFL and it will *smile* off Eddie

Baloo said:
Happy for the 2017 Premiership jersey to become our permanent away strip. Might as well get on the front foot and do it before it's mandated by the AFL and it will p!ss off Eddie
Although the yellow strip has grown on me, I personally HATE the idea of separate home and away jumpers. Seems to me a pointless exercise - just wearing a different jumper, 'because you can'. In my view, you have a primary strip and a clash strip. Don't get me wrong, the clash strip has it's place, but should ONLY be worn if there is a genuine clash.

And in addition to this, the AFL needs to come up with a document that stipulates exactly what combinations clash and hence what will be worn when that combination meets. At present they make it up as they go along, making teams wear clash strips when there is not the remotest clash - sometimes the clash strip actually making the teams look closer (for example, why the *smile* Freo had to wear white instead of purple in their GF against Hawthorn is anyone's guess, absolutely zero common sense reasoning for it).

Another point, if you go down the route of separate home and away jumpers you create new clashes. For example, would we wear the yellow jumper as the away team against Hawthorn? Would Essendon wear their predominately red alternate strip as the away team to Sydney or the Gold Coast?

leon said:
I love both our guernseys and always liked our most recent away strip. You can really see us coming!

However, there was a small article I saw recently. Would you believe that research has shown that umpires worldwide have a more positive response to lighter colours. It seems like a cliche but, yes, apparently darker colours do show a negative bias in the penalties data, awarded across most codes. Some kind of association with more devious actions or something, psychologically. Strange but true supposedly. [It might have already been reported on PRE, can't remember where I saw this]

It seems to be borne out by the GF at least.

Very interesting Leon. I've proposed this theory to many people over a long period of time, only to be met with cynicism. When you're losing, it's easily portrayed as whinging. There has to be some logical reason why RFC are continuously way and above the lowest team for frees for vs frees against.
Now that we're winning, I demand a coronial inquest.

Panthera Tigris said:
Hawthorn are as guilty as some of the interstaters for trying to reinvent the wheel with ghastly consequences. Shocking examples.

their problem is that gold and brown don't go well together.

Blind Turn said:
Very interesting Leon. I've proposed this theory to many people over a long period of time, only to be met with cynicism. When you're losing, it's easily portrayed as whinging. There has to be some logical reason why RFC are continuously way and above the lowest team for frees for vs frees against.
Now that we're winning, I demand a coronial inquest.

would be interesting to compare our free kick stats in 2017 when wearing the clash strip compared to our traditional jumper.

I flew from Geraldton WA to Melbourne 4 years ago for our VFL launch, loved the yellow with black sash then & love it even more now

Blind Turn said:
Hey Kevin.
You were wrong!!

Yes, and it was just a huge distraction coughed up by KB for his radio show ratings. Seemed to work for him, but it was noticeable that club and players couldn't care less overall. It was only about winning the GF.

But BT, maybe L2R2r might find some stats on the point you raised.

leon said:
Yes, and it was just a huge distraction coughed up by KB for his radio show ratings. Seemed to work for him, but it was noticeable that club and players couldn't care less overall. It was only about winning the GF.

But BT, maybe L2R2r might find some stats on the point you raised.

You are right that the players couldn't care less, it might of even helped them psychologically & visually, (looking like there are more of us than them).
Shane Edwards in his Grand recollections clip said:

It was just chaotic, all he could remember is just YELLOW jumpers running around everywhere.

Certainly didn't hurt his no look handballs, he didn't miss a target :clap

caesar said:
You are right that the players couldn't care less, it might of even helped them psychologically & visually, (looking like there are more of us than them).
Shane Edwards in his Grand recollections clip said:

It was just chaotic, all he could remember is just YELLOW jumpers running around everywhere.

Certainly didn't hurt his no look handballs, he didn't miss a target :clap

The more you think about it, the more you realise this is a significant factor. There is no doubt in my mind that the two original home strips clash, because the Crows should never been allowed to come in with colours close to ours. Remember the stink Collingwood put up about PA wanting to come in with another B & W combo. They soon backed off, along with the AFL!! We were just regarded as insignificant.

Back to the point, just imagine for our players, under pressure and at high speed, in a blur of motion, how much more visible that fluoro yellow actually makes your team-mates.

Ideally a clash strip should be so different from your original strip that if they played each other there is absolutely no clash whatsoever.
We are in the fortunate position that a complete reversal of our jumper does that.
Not many AFL clubs do - Adelaide, Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and the Bulldogs may be the only ones.
We should never, ever change it.

I like the reverse strip, but having watched the GF replay numerous times, I went back and watched the Qualifying and Prelim again.

There is no doubt we look a lot better in our traditional strip, and I now feel a bit disappointed that we weren't Premiers in Black and Yellow, rather than the Yellow and Black.

I would have loved the boys to change into the traditional strip for the aftermatch celebrations.

One positive was the yellow accentuated opposing defenders grabbing the jumper.

Will always love the traditional jumper. It's the best. But have to say the 2017 premiership jumper has really grown on me.

Bullarto Tiger said:
Will always love the traditional jumper. It's the best. But have to say the 2017 premiership jumper has really grown on me.
Same same.

And won't the traditional jumpers look magnificent lined up to unfurl the flag!

We absolutely should have changed into our traditional jumpers for the presentation and post match celebrations.

Happy they kept their jumpers on. It’s the jumper they won the flag in! It’s now going to be apart of the club for a long time. They can wear the home jumper in the 2018 grand final 8-

Giardiasis said:
Happy they kept their jumpers on. It’s the jumper they won the flag in! It’s now going to be apart of the club for a long time. They can wear the home jumper in the 2018 grand final 8-

That we wore them in the first place is a sad indictment on the RFC. Eddie said that if he was in Penny's shoes he would have paid the $50,000 fine and worn the traditional jumper in the GF. Now that's leadership