New clash jumper - reversed strip | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New clash jumper - reversed strip

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
YinnarTiger said:
With the current (2014) clash jumpers I think only Collingwood and Richmond have clash jumpers that would still clash with their own home jumpers if you had say, a practice game, with one team wearing the clash strip and the other the home strip.

This, this and this. The ultimate test of whether a clash jumper is any good and our old one fails miserably.
Very happy about this. We are in the fortunate position of having a reverse jumper which is much unlike our real one, unlike say Collingwood, Hawthorn, North and Geelong. Should have been done years ago and should stay like it forever.

Whether or not clash jumpers are necessary is another matter. But consider the modern world ... more teams, and the fact that there are people watching AFL games on internet streams which can be dodgy at times.

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
TigerMasochist said:
If we were going to have a clash jumper then this is the one we should have done right from the start. Simple straight up reverse of our proper jumper.
Have never been able to understand the need for a clash jumper, hundred plus years and it was never a problem till corporate administrators started to feel the need to justify their existence, now we've got to have a different jumper every time some executive has a brain fart.
Yep, agree.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
TigerMasochist said:
If we were going to have a clash jumper then this is the one we should have done right from the start. Simple straight up reverse of our proper jumper.
Have never been able to understand the need for a clash jumper, hundred plus years and it was never a problem till corporate administrators started to feel the need to justify their existence, now we've got to have a different jumper every time some executive has a brain fart.
I agree with that. No one ever had a problem when the difference was one team wore dark shorts and other white, but you can't market shorts like that. This was also back in the days when games were played on mud heaps and you could barely tell one team from the other, but crowds and commentators seemed to be able to do it.

RFC56

@alanrfc56
Jun 19, 2004
Richmond VIC
Don't like the yellow jumper with the black "half sash". It's not a Richmond jumper but a marketing exercise. I've never had a problem in over 50 years of going to the footy, so I can't see the problem.

If we are to have such a clash strip, the AFL needs to specify which games we wear it in at the start of the season, not a week before we play Port in a final like last year.

Mr Magic

The Centre of Perfection
Dec 7, 2006
Get with the times RFC56

If we want this club to attract new young supporters we need to appeal to young people. They don't tend to care less about history and tradition

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Mr Magic said:
Get with the times RFC56

If we want this club to attract new young supporters we need to appeal to young people. They don't tend to care less about history and tradition
What the hell does a clash jumper have to do with appealing to young people? I don't care about young kids needing to have a clash strip. If the AFL didn't force the issue not one kid would shed a single tear about us not having any other jumper but the black with the yellow sash.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I like the idea. It's Black, yellow, has a sash and looks great. The game is evolving, some people are not going to like that, and I understand - but if it generates additional revenue and catches the eye of a few extra kids, then why not I say.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Best song in the afl
Best clash strip in the afl

Simply the best, better than all the rest.....

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
jq70r9.jpg

Re the back of the jumper design I always like to do a test as to what it would look like viewing it from the grandstand and there's no doubt that the black number is far more legible with the half sash purely on the front.
I know some don't like it the idea but I think our traditional guernsey looks better with just a yellow number on the back as opposed to a white one on top of the yellow sash too like we had about 15 years ago. It's unlikely to change back but from a design perspective it makes more sense.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Tigers of Old said:
jq70r9.jpg

Re the back of the jumper design I always like to do a test as to what it would look like viewing it from the grandstand and there's no doubt that the black number is far more legible with the half sash purely on the front.
I know some don't like it the idea but I think our traditional guernsey looks better with just a yellow number on the back as opposed to a white one on top of the yellow sash too like we had about 15 years ago. It's unlikely to change back but from a design perspective it makes more sense.
It's better than that weird Hawthorn looking thing we wore in a heritage round years ago, the only good thing about that jumper was that I could pretend it was Hawthorn and not us in the event of a loss, which I think that match was. I'm against clash jumpers and always have been. I simply don't see the necessity for them. They're a marketing exercise pure and simple.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
design doesn't bother me - but the term 'clash jumper' or 'clash strip' does

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
CarnTheTiges said:
It's better than that weird Hawthorn looking thing we wore in a heritage round years ago, the only good thing about that jumper was that I could pretend it was Hawthorn and not us in the event of a loss, which I think that match was. I'm against clash jumpers and always have been. I simply don't see the necessity for them. They're a marketing exercise pure and simple.

Not so sure it's just a marketing exercise or more so a "suggestion" from the TV head honchos that it makes for "better viewing". Don't underestimate the demands of the TV rights holders. The afl put the onus on clubs via equalisation money. I believe clubs get more income from that, than from sales of clash strips.
What *smile* me is that all clubs have to toe the line except for collingwood. The 'pies also bribe nth to wear their away/clash strip in their games. Weak kneed kowtowing acquiescence from afl HQ.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
jq70r9.jpg

Not as bad as QPR with those red numbers on blue & white hoops. Vertigo.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
willo said:
What sh!ts me is that all clubs have to toe the line except for collingwood. The 'pies also bribe nth to wear their away/clash strip in their games. Weak kneed kowtowing acquiescence from afl HQ.
Pies should be made to thin their stripes right out. Something like this (not my design).
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4230/2801/1600/collaway.0.jpg

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
willo said:
Not so sure it's just a marketing exercise or more so a "suggestion" from the TV head honchos that it makes for "better viewing". Don't underestimate the demands of the TV rights holders. The afl put the onus on clubs via equalisation money. I believe clubs get more income from that, than from sales of clash strips.
What sh!ts me is that all clubs have to toe the line except for collingwood. The 'pies also bribe nth to wear their away/clash strip in their games. Weak kneed kowtowing acquiescence from afl HQ.
Collingwood do have different strips, they just won't change their colours much, and honestly it only clashes with North. We never used to clash with anyone, so why do we now? I agree that it's all TV driven, I don't know why the AFL don't just admit that, but that is also marketing.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
CarnTheTiges said:
Collingwood do have different strips, they just won't change their colours much, and honestly it only clashes with North. We never used to clash with anyone, so why do we now? I agree that it's all TV driven, I don't know why the AFL don't just admit that, but that is also marketing.

Different strips, yeah black with white stripes instead of white with black stripes or vice versa. They make a mockery of it and the afl just nod and wink.
I believe when the afl sign off on new jumper designs (ie port, how many designs have they had now, 10?12?) they should make certain they don't clash with existing clubs designs.
Yeah nth and collingwood is probably a one off, but if that's the case for away games the onus is on the pies

Tigers of Old said:
Pies should be made to thin their stripes right out. Something like this (not my design).
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4230/2801/1600/collaway.0.jpg

That's sensible