New clash jumper - reversed strip | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New clash jumper - reversed strip

willo said:
Different strips, yeah black with white stripes instead of white with black stripes or vice versa. They make a mockery of it and the afl just nod and wink.
I believe when the afl sign off on new jumper designs (ie port, how many designs have they had now, 10?12?)

My mate is a big Port fan and collects every jumper. He will bankrupt or divorced soon, the number they keep churning out.

KiwiTig said:
My mate is a big Port fan and collects every jumper. He will bankrupt or divorced soon, the number they keep churning out.
Yeah, I tried collecting every tiger jumper but yeah, it gets expensive. I got to 6.

Mr Magic said:
Get with the times RFC56

If we want this club to attract new young supporters we need to appeal to young people. They don't tend to care less about history and tradition

If we don't care about tradition we may as well throw the towel in and walk away. If we need to attract young supporters and not be worried about tradition, I suggest we use Peppa Pig or the Wiggles ;-)

I'm not against a clash strip when it's needed, I just don't see what's wrong with the one we have and don't like the reverse one.

RFC56 said:
If we don't care about tradition we may as well throw the towel in and walk away. If we need to attract young supporters and not be worried about tradition, I suggest we use Peppa Pig or the Wiggles ;-)

I'm not against a clash strip when it's needed, I just don't see what's wrong with the one we have and don't like the reverse one.

Our jumper has stood the test of time for many years now and the young of then and now have loved it, just like our song. We have to change it for TV apparently, so that is moving with times. Does not mean we have to like it. It irks me that the Mudpies have to change little and get away with it....the darlings of the AFL

RFC56 said:

It's wrong because we had a clash jumper that didn't prevent clashes :hihi

Port had to wear a clash strip for their own home final, which isn't right. Even if the tribal part of sport has you thinking '*smile* everyone else', I'm glad we proactively value fairness in the competition rather than being s like Collingwood.

Mr Magic said:
If we want this club to attract new young supporters we need to appeal to young people. They don't tend to care less about history and tradition
That'd be the way to go magic man. Upset all the older supporters by killing off something they've connected with for years while pandering to the five second gratification span of the younger society. Believe that's exactly what Brisvegas did with their paddle pop lion just recently. Pretty sure they've cut back a lot of the paddle popping n going back to their Fitzroy Lion heritage for 2015.

Even though we've had a few changes over the years of our Tigers logo, I'm not much of a fan of our newest entity. Too bloody cartoonish for my liking, much prefer a more traditional looking Tiger logo.

The whole idea of tradition n heritage is something that's built and grown over a long period of time that people can appreciate and connect with as they also grow and develop, not just five seconds of cheesy gratification that leads to boredom and the need for constant rushes and flashes of change to maintain an interest.

TigerMasochist said:
That'd be the way to go magic man. Upset all the older supporters by killing off something they've connected with for years while pandering to the five second gratification span of the younger society. Believe that's exactly what Brisvegas did with their paddle pop lion just recently. Pretty sure they've cut back a lot of the paddle popping n going back to their Fitzroy Lion heritage for 2015..

Even though we've had a few changes over the years of our Tigers logo, I'm not much of a fan of our newest entity. Too bloody cartoonish for my liking, much prefer a more traditional looking Tiger logo.

The whole idea of tradition n heritage is something that's built and grown over a long period of time that people can appreciate and connect with as they also grow and develop, not just five seconds of cheesy gratification that leads to boredom and the need for constant rushes and flashes of change to maintain an interest.

Not sure what our clash jumper has to do with the paddle pop lion? It's a long bow u are drawing their. It looks great!

Mr Magic said:
Not sure what our clash jumper has to do with the paddle pop lion? It's a long bow u are drawing their. It looks great!
Simply an example in reference to your comment about kids having no interest in history or tradition. Paddle pop Lion is just a reference point. Why do you think Colonwood fight so hard to retain their jumper as a clash n home strip, or stop Port from wearing their old prison bars or try to keep the kangas home strip from clashing with their strip.
Eddie knows you don't *smile* off over a hundred years of history n tradition just to appease a few t.v. exec's n marketing guru's. Should be the same for us with our jumper n our Tiger logo, or Brisvegas with their Lion logo, as they have learned in recent years.
The kids learn the history n tradition of their clubs from previous generations guiding them as they grow, they also get their own brand new hero players every generation, but the core images of the club shouldn't be messed around with.

I'd rather just play in our regular Tigers jumper without all the fussing n fiddling around that has gone on with it in recent years. If we MUST have a clash jumper then I'd accept the straight reversal of colours as displayed in earlier post. I'd also prefer we didn't keep refreshing our Tiger logo every few years and keep a simple straight forward snarling tiger head rather than some of the cartoon type caricatures that have been used.

Port's colours are white, black, teal and silver, black and white if they wear their old Magpies uniform. How does that clash with yellow and black? Port could have worn their old Magpie uniform against us, they supposedly love it as it harks back to the old Port Adelaide tradition. I don't think anyone has ever suggested we clash with Collingwood.

I have been supporting the Tigers since the days of Paddy Guinane and personally I have no problem with the reverse jumper. I much prefer it to some of the NAB cup jumpers we have had. Yellow with black stripe, black with yellow stripe...still a Tiger

I also wouldn't have an issue playing in it in a Grand final, in fact I wouldn't have a problem with the team playing in hessian sacks if we made a grand final.

Sintiger said:
I have been supporting the Tigers since the days of Paddy Guinane

Me to.

I just loved how Paddy could, without fail, kick a point from a set shot from within the goal square without really trying hard.

Every time Richo managed to do the same thing it never really had the same flair. ;D

th

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
Me to.

I just loved how Paddy could, without fail, kick a point from a set shot from within the goal square without really trying hard.

Every time Richo managed to do the same thing it never really had the same flair. ;D
Yeah if Paddy was playing today he would be a cult hero.

Missed some sitters but also took some of the best grabs you could ever see

Sintiger said:
I have been supporting the Tigers since the days of Paddy Guinane and personally I have no problem with the reverse jumper. I much prefer it to some of the NAB cup jumpers we have had. Yellow with black stripe, black with yellow stripe...still a Tiger

I also wouldn't have an issue playing in it in a Grand final, in fact I wouldn't have a problem with the team playing in hessian sacks if we made a grand final.
Spot on ST

Sintiger said:
Yeah if Paddy was playing today he would be a cult hero.

Missed some sitters but also took some of the best grabs you could ever see
Judging from the stories my parents told about watching Paddy back in the day he was a cult hero.

willo said:
I believe when the afl sign off on new jumper designs (ie port, how many designs have they had now, 10?12?) they should make certain they don't clash with existing clubs designs.

yep, and thats why i had no sympathy for the eagles or power when they had to change their guernsey against us, despite it being their home game

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
I'll be in the extreme minority, but would prefer yellow shorts as our "clash strip".

been arguing this idea for many years now.

CarnTheTiges said:
Judging from the stories my parents told about watching Paddy back in the day he was a cult hero.
My old man used to say to me when I was a kid, "is it a bird or a plane, no, it's Paddy Guinane". Loved that!