New clash jumper - reversed strip | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New clash jumper - reversed strip

tigerlandishome said:
My old man used to say to me when I was a kid, "is it a bird or a plane, no, it's Paddy Guinane". Loved that!
He was a favourite of my mother's. I don't think she had another favourite until Jimmy Jess came to the club and that had a lot to do with him being from up St Arnaud way, which is where she grew up.

CarnTheTiges said:
Judging from the stories my parents told about watching Paddy back in the day he was a cult hero.
yes he was. I was a very little boy when he played but I still remember the excitement he brought to the crowd, but it was different in those days . The media coverage was much less.
tigerlandishome said:
My old man used to say to me when I was a kid, "is it a bird or a plane, no, it's Paddy Guinane". Loved that!
Gold... I had forgotten that.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
I'll be in the extreme minority, but would prefer yellow shorts as our "clash strip".
Yellow shorts - not in a pink fit. Actually think I'd prefer pink shorts over the yellow!

can someone please explain why they are so offended by the idea of yellow shorts? yellow is one of our 2 official colours (unlike white, or pink). moreover, if we do revert to a reverse clash strip, wouldn't it make sense to wear yellow shorts instead of white? afterall, yellow shorts are technically the reverse of our black home shorts.

Ian4 said:
can someone please explain why they are so offended by the idea of yellow shorts? yellow is one of our 2 official colours (unlike white, or pink). moreover, if we do revert to a reverse clash strip, wouldn't it make sense to wear yellow shorts instead of white? afterall, yellow shorts are technically the reverse of our black home shorts.

Because they look revolting.

Ian4 said:

I don't have a problem with yellow shorts with our normal jumper but yellow shorts with this new clash jumper I think mught be a bit to much yellow.

brigadiertiger said:
I don't have a problem with yellow shorts with our normal jumper but yellow shorts with this new clash jumper I think mught be a bit to much yellow.

if you go with that argument, it also means we have too much black on our home kit.

Ian4 said:
can someone please explain why they are so offended by the idea of yellow shorts?

th

Phantom said:
That's what I thought 10 years ago, or whenever the need for a clash jumper first came up.

It was why there were so many WA Tiger supporters prior to Westcoast being created.

I read somewhere a few years ago that the WAFL held the Australian design rights to the yellow jumper with black sash, which was one of the main reasons why the RFC had not implemented this design in prior years. It is a State of Origin jumper after all.

Now that SoO is dead, the AFL must have forced the WAFL's hand..

CarnTheTiges said:
Judging from the stories my parents told about watching Paddy back in the day he was a cult hero.

Did I see right? Think I read Paddy was our oldest living premiership player. That would mean all the 43 teamare gone? Feasible as youngest would be 90 if still with us.

TigerMasochist said:
That'd be the way to go magic man. Upset all the older supporters by killing off something they've connected with for years while pandering to the five second gratification span of the younger society. Believe that's exactly what Brisvegas did with their paddle pop lion just recently. Pretty sure they've cut back a lot of the paddle popping n going back to their Fitzroy Lion heritage for 2015.

Even though we've had a few changes over the years of our Tigers logo, I'm not much of a fan of our newest entity. Too bloody cartoonish for my liking, much prefer a more traditional looking Tiger logo.

The whole idea of tradition n heritage is something that's built and grown over a long period of time that people can appreciate and connect with as they also grow and develop, not just five seconds of cheesy gratification that leads to boredom and the need for constant rushes and flashes of change to maintain an interest.
Agree, the last logo was perfect, no idea why we changed that. You don't see Man U or Real Madrid changing their logo all the time. The jumper I can understand, with technology and merch sales, but the logo should remain the same always.

hutstar said:
Agree, the last logo was perfect, no idea why we changed that. You don't see Man U or Real Madrid changing their logo all the time. The jumper I can understand, with technology and merch sales, but the logo should remain the same always.

Not a massive fan of the latest Tiger logo reincarnation but I am the complete opposite to this thinking.
Our logo has changed several times over our history but the jumper should remain as untouched as possible.

Don't Port get some pre-school kid to eat a bunch of paint then copy what comes out the other end? Or is that Freo?

Any new designs and colour schemes should not be allowed unless they are compared to all the existing AFL jumpers. No team should have to change an existing jumper because some 11 year old vomited out a new design in peas corn and carrots.

Chimptastic said:
It's wrong because we had a clash jumper that didn't prevent clashes :hihi

Port had to wear a clash strip for their own home final, which isn't right. Even if the tribal part of sport has you thinking '*smile* everyone else', I'm glad we proactively value fairness in the competition rather than being s like Collingwood.

We've played Port for several years wearing our clash strip without complaint, then this year the AFL crack it and "force" Port to wear a different strip. If the AFL had issue with it, why didn't they raise the problem at the start of the year, not the week before a final? And why do the AFL permit clubs to adopt new strips that they know will clash with other clubs? If it's for TV as some have suggested, why don't the AFL force channel seven to broadcast in HD?

Apparently it's Ch7 forcing the clash strip issue. They want to make sure people at home can work out who is who when they revert the telecast back to black & white.

RFC56 said:
We've played Port for several years wearing our clash strip without complaint, then this year the AFL crack it and "force" Port to wear a different strip. If the AFL had issue with it, why didn't they raise the problem at the start of the year, not the week before a final? And why do the AFL permit clubs to adopt new strips that they know will clash with other clubs? If it's for TV as some have suggested, why don't the AFL force channel seven to broadcast in HD?
Port don't have a traditional strip except for the one they used in the final against us. Eddie had granted them permission to wear it.