New forum-- | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New forum--

Looks great.
Really like how much faster it is, particularly the 'search function', massive improvement.
Well done.

On a side note I seem to be having an issue with underlining text?

Tigers of Old said:
On a side note I seem to be having an issue with underlining text?

Testing

Thanks ToO...my underline didn't work either. We'll look into it.

Test Bold

Test Underline

Test Italic

Test strike through

Rinaldo said:
Congratulations to all who have benn involved in planning for the new forum design and functionality. As a web project manager I know how much effort goes into planning, designing, and managing these changes. It looks good to me. I also know that it will be impossible to please everyone.
Many years ago I used to be a teacher and you wouldn't believe the arguments that there would be between staff about what colour we should paint the staff room. Many friendships were ended. Web design is like that.
I often access PRE on my iPad now so I'm always interested in comments about how the web caters for people using mobile devices. Someone commented a while back about Internet Explorer. I'm using Safari and it seems to work OK apart from the drop down Boxes at the foot of the page that allow you to jump between fora. This seems to be getting worse rather than better. I now know how to find where you've put the link to find the last posts of a particular poster. I use that a lot and it's much more hidden now.
As the Tester says in the previous post, there are lots of functions on the website that most of us never use. Remembering them, or keeping track of them must be a challenge.
I'm sure most of us on PRE appreciate the enormous amount of energy, dedication and commitment that Rosy et al put into the site. Congratulations again.

Thanks for the kind words Rinaldo.

There are so many different people with different tastes here it's like the words of one of my favourite songs "we'd never agree if we talked all night".

Not everyone would realise or appreciate the amount of time and effort required to migrate PRE's massive database to a new forum. Tester has spent heaps of time making test forums and doing changes. The upgrade only took a couple of hours but the preparation has gone on for months.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any way to still check the last posts of a person on PRE.

I used to do it going into my profile, but can't find that link now.

Not a biggy, just wondering.

If you go into someone's profile and hover your mouse over "Profile Info", yellow box at top left of profile, it brings up a menu. If you click on the third option on that menu "show posts", it brings up a list of that poster's latest posts. Don't know if you can do it when browsing on the phone, there seems to be a few issues with the site's features on phones.

Is that what you mean?

Streak said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any way to still check the last posts of a person on PRE.

I used to do it going into my profile, but can't find that link now.

I'm not familiar with that. Did you check your own posts in your profile or other peoples? I'd have thought you needed to go into their profiles to check their posts. One idea worth trying is adding the people you're keeping an eye in to your buddy list.

skybeau said:
If you go into someone's profile and hover your mouse over "Profile Info", yellow box at top left of profile, it brings up a menu. If you click on the third option on that menu "show posts", it brings up a list of that poster's latest posts. Don't know if you can do it when browsing on the phone, there seems to be a few issues with the site's features on phones.

Is that what you mean?

Thanks Skybeau, that is exactly what I meant :fing32

rosy23 said:
I'm not familiar with that. Did you check your own posts in your profile or other peoples? I'd have thought you needed to go into their profiles to check their posts. One idea worth trying is adding the people you're keeping an eye in to your buddy list.

Skybeau found it for me Rosy, thanks.

You can do it for yourself or for other members. I often used it for myself.

But with other posters, I was more interested in seeing when they had last been active and what they were commenting on. You know how sometimes people go missing for a while. There is probably about 20 or so people whose posts I enjoy, so the new buddy list will come in handy I reckon.

Instead of the drop down menus, if you click the << image (
change_menu.png
)on the right, you get a list of links down the left hand side rather than the drop down menus. It also has the show posts link. There is a corresponding limage (
change_menu2.png
) on the left that switches back to the drop down menus.

I just tested the attachment function on the "Best Friend" thread on the General Board. If you click on attached images they enlarge. I suppose plenty already knew that but I didn't and thought it worth passing on.

Hi Tester and Rosie
One of the functions I use a lot is not working. I'd assumed it was a browser issue (ie Safari) but then I discovered it was working on some other pages. It is the 'Jump to' drop-down box at the bottom right of the screen. It correctly lists the component sections of the site on The 'What the Journos are Saying' and 'Player Sponsorship' pages but not on 'Dyer-Tribe', 'Junior Footballers', 'Rumour File'. On these pages I get a line of dashes and another line saying 'Mark as Read'. I'm not sure how far this coding problem extends throughout the other sections of the site.
Rinaldo

Rinaldo said:
Hi Tester and Rosie
One of the functions I use a lot is not working. I'd assumed it was a browser issue (ie Safari) but then I discovered it was working on some other pages. It is the 'Jump to' drop-down box at the bottom right of the screen. It correctly lists the component sections of the site on The 'What the Journos are Saying' and 'Player Sponsorship' pages but not on 'Dyer-Tribe', 'Junior Footballers', 'Rumour File'. On these pages I get a line of dashes and another line saying 'Mark as Read'. I'm not sure how far this coding problem extends throughout the other sections of the site.
Rinaldo
Apologies for my stupid mistake. I was looking at the wrong drop-down box, ignoring the fact that there are two of them on the main pages of the site (ie one above the other).

My screen only shows one jump drop down box Rinaldo. Have you tried shift-refresh?

New forum doesn't seem to have coped at all well with the increased traffic from the rookie and PSD.

IanG said:
New forum doesn't seem to have coped at all well with the increased traffic from the rookie and PSD.

Why do you think that Ian? I don't know much about that kind of thing but would have thought it was more a server issue than anything to do with the new forum. I have made enquiries to find out why the site is so slow this morning.

IanG said:

Yeah she is pretty slow. Would need to be fixed before our next game day loss.