New turmoil rocks Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

New turmoil rocks Tigerland

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
By Jake Niall of   The Age
March 22, 2004

Just five days before the AFL season begins, Richmond has experienced more internal conflict, following the "very reluctant" exit from the club of director Brendon Schwab.

Schwab, who resigned from the board on March 12, left the club following differences of opinion with president Clinton Casey and has taken a parting shot at the Casey regime.

Meanwhile, former senior player Brendon Gale has expressed concern about the circumstances of Schwab's exit and the resignation of another director, Peter Welsh, who quit a week after Schwab because of business commitments.

Following his resignation from the board on March 12, Schwab sent a letter to the board, including Casey, detailing his concerns about some aspects of the club's administration, including questions about its financial position.

Sources suggested last night that Casey had not been unhappy to see Schwab leave, though yesterday the president did not wish to openly criticise a director who had served the club for several years.

Casey has taken an uncompromising stance in his dealings with some directors of late and, having effectively acted as personal guarantor of the club's $1.7 million overdraft, has strengthened his position at the helm of the club.

"Brendan's got a view - it's not necessarily everybody's, it's not going to be my view, it's not going to be the next person's view," Casey said yesterday, when asked about the letter.

"But he had a view on some areas he thought we could improve and they were his view. At the end of the day, he's no longer there and we'll be looking for someone else to take up the running."

Schwab confirmed yesterday he had been "very reluctant" to quit the club and that he had communicated his concerns in a letter to the board, which has lost two directors in the space of days.

Gale, a respected former player and ex-AFL Players Association president, said yesterday he was "very concerned" about the circumstances surrounding the departures of Schwab and Welsh, and suggested he would be reluctant to join the board, in the event he was invited.

Schwab would not divulge the contents of his letter nor criticise Casey, saying it was not appropriate for him to outline his reasons for resigning, "given the immediacy of the season".

He said he did not want to comment further on his concerns until the board had been given a chance to act on his comments. "I think it's very important that the board firstly has the opportunity to act upon the reasons which have prompted what would be, what I regard as, a very reluctant resignation and very difficult decision to make."

The Tigers play Collingwood in the season-opener on Friday and, like the Magpies, have had an indifferent pre-season - although their troubles have been more off-field than on, highlighted by the criticisms of coach Danny Frawley by his former mentor (and ex-board member) Tony Jewell and, now, the resignations of Schwab and Welsh.

Gale, an obvious candidate to fill one of the board vacancies, along with former premiership players Emmett Dunne and Michael Roach, said he would be "hesitant" to join the board, if he was approached, considering the circumstances of Schwab's exit.

However, he was positive about the club's football operations under the leadership of football director Greg Miller and of the season ahead.

Casey said he would shortly talk to a "couple of people" he had "pencilled in" as potential board replacements.

www.theage.com.au www.realfooty.com.au

Tigerdog said:
March 22, 2004

Gale, an obvious candidate to fill one of the board vacancies, along with former premiership players Emmett Dunne and Michael Roach, said he would be "hesitant" to join the board, if he was approached, considering the circumstances of Schwab's exit.

However, he was positive about the club's football operations under the leadership of football director Greg Miller and of the season ahead.

Casey said he would shortly talk to a "couple of people" he had "pencilled in" as potential board replacements.

www.theage.com.au   www.realfooty.com.au

Interesting that Gale, like Schwab, made reference to being positive about Miller.

It is worrying that Casey would choose (sorry, "pencil in") board replacements. I would be more at ease if he had said, "The board have to look at replacements".

At first glance, I don't think I'd have a problem with the ex-players mentioned being on the board. I'd like to see Roach back with us as well as Benny G. Don't know much about Dunne's life after footy.

Tigerdog said:
Casey has taken an uncompromising stance in his dealings with some directors of late and, having effectively acted as personal guarantor of the club's $1.7 million overdraft, has strengthened his position at the helm of the club.

Why were we in a  position where we needed a guarantor?  :mad:  The fact Clinton went guarantor should have no bearing on his position at the club.  People are elected to that position, it can't be bought.  I hope that's just journalistic licence and not fact. :mad:

Tigerdog said:

Sources suggested last night that Casey had not been unhappy to see Schwab leave, though yesterday the president did not wish to openly criticise a director who had served the club for several years.

"Brendan's got a view - it's not necessarily everybody's, it's not going to be my view, it's not going to be the next person's view," Casey said yesterday, when asked about the letter.

"But he had a view on some areas he thought we could improve and they were his view. At the end of the day, he's no longer there and we'll be looking for someone else to take up the running."

What has changed in 8 or so weeks?
Clinton endorced us voting for Woosher, now I'd like him to tell me why he's happy for him to leave!

President endorses incumbents
http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=130757
But when you look at the three positions up for consideration, I think it’s difficult to see past the people currently on the board. Gary March brings international expertise and a fantastic track record in the whole retail and licensing side of the business. In his short time on the board, he has made Tigers merchandise far more appealing and affordable for supporters, as well as more profitable for the club.”

And, as for Tony Jewell and Peter Welsh, we are after all a football club and, amongst all current board members and candidates, they are the only two with any football expertise. They also, having been premiership players (and coach in Tony’s case), obviously have an enormous affinity for and understanding of our club,” Casey added.

mmmmmm l smell a giant sized rat here.
Schwab makes the point clear that he is very reluctant to leave, and as for the old 'business commitments' line, well thats as convincing as 'the coach has our full support' line.
Whilst l do not expect the details of Schwabs confidential letter to be published, l do expect as a fully paid member to be given a truthful account of what is happening at board level.
Don't treat the members like fools board members....we are the shareholders and we will all be around as fans for longer than you will sit on commitee at the club

Tigerdog said:

Is Casey running the show at punt road with an iron fist ?? It appears that board members are reluctant or afraid to express their concerns at board meetings. TJ was more willing to express his concerns to the media rather than the board, and Schwab appears to be showing his protest of the administration by stepping down instead of making noise at board meetings. Now Benny is saying that he'd be reluctant to join the board.

Something is wrong and it smells on Casey.

Dean3 said:
Rosy - aren't you mixing Casey's comments about Schwab with his endorsement of Welsh?

Oh yeah guess I am sorry. Still asleep. The fact is he did endorse Welsh though. Maybe the following comment is relevant? Whether it is or not I hope we get a decent explanation, but then again things might be self-explanatory before the weeks out.

Casey has taken an uncompromising stance in his dealings with some directors of late and

The thing I don’t understand is the ability of these Directors to have an impact in the time they hold a position on the Board. Why do they need to wait till they are no longer there in order to make any impact? Is the Board so cliquey, or is it that they really do not offer much?

Why do these things need to be so divisive? How can our footy Club ever get anywhere when people can’t agree to disagree and move on? Maybe there’s too much testosterone and not enough interest in RFC.

If, as suggested on SEN this morning, Schwab forms his own ticket then it will be like the schoolboy who didn’t get picked to play with the other boys, so he’s gone out and formed his own team, just so he can get a game. If he wasn’t strong enough or influential enough in his time at the Club to make a difference, why is he now suddenly going to come out and change the face our Club?

None of us know what has really gone on and it’s hard to judge who’s right and who’s not, all I want is for my footy Club to just get on with things, stop the garbage and just pull together for once.

God I am so tired of this. :'( :'( :'(

MC24, sometimes the only thing you can do is leave the the environment that you are unhappy with and try alternative ways to make change.  If his attempts to make positive change constantly fell on deaf ears then what other option did he have?  If he made louder noises while on the board then people like you will question why the board isn't united. 

[quote author=MC24 ?

If, as suggested on SEN this morning, Schwab forms his own ticket then it will be like the schoolboy who didn’t get picked to play with the other boys, so he’s gone out and formed his own team, just so he can get a game.  If he wasn’t strong enough or influential enough in his time at the Club to make a difference, why is he now suddenly going to come out and change the face our Club?

To be fair MC24, lts pleasing to see someone standing up for what they believe in. I dont think Schwab is on an ego trip to be president, he has handled the situation well so far without starting a slanging match against Casey, but clearly feels that something is wrong with the boards current direction.
If he has the clubs best interests at heart, he has to make a stand to do what he thinks is right by RFC.

Harry said:
MC24, sometimes the only thing you can do is leave the the environment that you are unhappy with and try alternative ways to make changes. If his attempts to make positive change constantly fell on deaf years then what other option did he have? If he made louder noises while on the board then people like you will question why the board isn't united.

I thought about that Harry, but people with real clout and nous don't get rolled so easily. And if his interest is in RFC, why cause division?

Surely he could better serve the Club by working with people, rather than against them. In business you have to be able to work with people you don't agree with and who will perhaps be diametrically opposed to your way of thinking. Just because you don’t get your own way doesn’t mean you have to go start up your own team so you’ve got somewhere to put your ideas in place. The same circumstances would arise in the future and how would he handle those?

MC24 said:
If, as suggested on SEN this morning, Schwab forms his own ticket then it will be like the schoolboy who didn’t get picked to play with the other boys, so he’s gone out and formed his own team, just so he can get a game.

I disagree strongly MC. I'd prefer Brendan to do that if it brings things into the open. He already had a game and the easy option would probably be to have stayed. He must feel strongly about this issue and I'd like to know what's behind it.

If nothing is done and the president gets to personally design the board, it's not only a less than desirable situation imo, but we'll probably never find out what has upset loyal board members so much.

I'm sick of the hassles too, but people obviously have strong feelings here and I hope they're not just swept under the carpet.

We were encouraged to elect them so I hope we're also told the reasons they are no longer there.

MC24 said:
Surely he could better serve the Club by working with people, rather than against them.  ....  Just because you don’t get your own way doesn’t mean you have to go start up your own team so you’ve got somewhere to put your ideas in place. 

There's a big assumption Brendan left because he didn't get his own way.

rosy3 said:
I disagree strongly MC. I'd prefer Brendan to do that if it brings things into the open. He already had a game and the easy option would probably be to have stayed. He must feel strongly about this issue and I'd like to know what's behind it.

To be honest, I don’t need to know what has happened or why. Is dissecting what has happened going to move us forward? Getting on with things will do that and all I want is for our footy Club to get on with things and move forward. All this skull duggery is killing us.

If Schwab or any other Director needs smooth waters in which to operate then I suggest that perhaps they are in the wrong business.

rosy3 said:
There's a big assumption Brendan left because he didn't get his own way.

If he starts up his own ticket, what would that suggest?

IMO this turmoil is good for the club. The financial position and the on-field performance indicate that the club is on the wrong track. These rumblings will eventually uncover the real culprit/s. It is pleasing the the board is not united in their acceptance of mediocrity and some of them want success. Like Frawley, Casey's days are numbered IMO.

MC24 said:
If he starts up his own ticket, what would that suggest?

If he starts up his own ticket it doesn't suggest him not getting his own way to me, but rather that he can't support the way things are going at present. Rather than playing along he might want to bring about a change.

All speculation but from what I've been told we'll probably find out answers soon.

Sooner is better than later. This is terrible to have hanging over the club. :mad:

Harry said:
Tigerdog said:

Is Casey running the show at punt road with an iron fist ??  It appears that board members are reluctant or afraid to express their concerns at board meetings.  TJ was more willing to express his concerns to the media rather than the board, and Schwab appears to be showing his protest of the administration by stepping down instead of making noise at board meetings.  Now Benny is saying that he'd be reluctant to join the board.

Something is wrong and it smells on Casey.

That's the second time in a week that I've agreed with you, Harry.

Scary stuff, that :eek:

Personally I's love to read Schwab's letter. I reckon his conduct to date has been exemplary.

Maybe he was tired of what was happening at Board level and felt this was his only option.

I just hope that we, the members find out the truth ASAP. For Casey to personally hand pick the replacement is too much. It's like he is building a power base perhaps using the guarantor thing as leveridge.

Benny Gale will be interviewed on SEN regarding the current situation sometime this afternoon. ;)

Thanks Tigerdog. Will be interesting to hear whether he is adamant about not being seconded to the board.

Hope someone can convince him that he is more likely to have a positive influence from within, rather than causing a stir from outside.