Next year draw. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Next year draw.

We,ll finish in the bottom 6 so that means return games v Freo, Hawthorn, Suns, North and WCE. If we are to bounce back in 2024 we need to make the most of this (and that’s not to say we’d be monties in those 10 games)
We don't get return games against every other bottom six team, but we do play those teams more often than the teams from the middle and top six

Got me stuffed, why don't we play Carlton first round (which we do) then Carlton in round 18. Don't know why the AFL don't have a rolling fixture. Easy.

Got me stuffed, why don't we play Carlton first round (which we do) then Carlton in round 18. Don't know why the AFL don't have a rolling fixture. Easy.
Because they’re idiots. Got me *smile* how we played a few teams twice this year before playing hawthorn and north once. I’m sure it’s the same for other clubs. I remember a few times where the first time we played a team was in the last or second last round. And also playing a team once and it was round 1 or 2
They’ve got no idea

Reactions: 1 users
Because they’re idiots...
The fixture must be very difficult to get perfect, with the restrictions based on ladder positions and the same marquee games each year. Having a 23-week competition for 18 teams is a nightmare.

Reactions: 1 users
Been saying that for years. The reason they won’t do it, is because it makes it hard to have their scheduled blockbusters.

The fixture must be very difficult to get perfect, with the restrictions based on ladder positions and the same marquee games each year. Having a 23-week competition for 18 teams is a nightmare.
Unfortunately, like most things AFL it's a *smile* up of their own making. There's no such thing as a competition draw any more It's now an AFL FIXture. Purely designed to maximise revenue and reward the mediocre teams with the greatest possible opportunity to scrape into finals and become cannon fodder for the couple of good teams.

Reactions: 2 users
What did they used to do when we had 12 teams and a 22 round season? What I’d like to see is every team plays each other once, then whoever they played in Rd 1, they play in Rd 18. The double ups continue until the end of the season, and then whoever you were scheduled to play next, is your first game next season, and it rolls on that way. It’s totally random, and sometimes teams will get hard draws and other times, softer ones, but it will even out. The AFL will never do it, because this won’t let them guarantee 2 Showdowns and Derbies a season, or always have Essendon V Collingwood on Anzac Day. I’d also like teams to play ALL their home games on their home grounds.

Reactions: 2 users
We don't get return games against every other bottom six team, but we do play those teams more often than the teams from the middle and top six
Well. We’ve finished bottom 6 now and the handbaggers finished in the middle 6. Theoretically we should get an easier draw than them. I await with baited breath but not going to be surprised when the draw comes out and we know what’s going to happen

Reactions: 3 users
What did they used to do when we had 12 teams and a 22 round season? What I’d like to see is every team plays each other once, then whoever they played in Rd 1, they play in Rd 18. The double ups continue until the end of the season, and then whoever you were scheduled to play next, is your first game next season, and it rolls on that way. It’s totally random, and sometimes teams will get hard draws and other times, softer ones, but it will even out. The AFL will never do it, because this won’t let them guarantee 2 Showdowns and Derbies a season, or always have Essendon V Collingwood on Anzac Day. I’d also like teams to play ALL their home games on their home grounds.

12 teams and 22 rounds was great, 1 home and 1 away game against each team.

But, back in the late 1960s they extended the season from the old 18 games to 22. When it was 18 games and 12 clubs it did work on rotation, you would playe 11 teams, then play 7 more, and then they would run through the 4 you only played once plus 11 being all teams and then start again. Not sure if it was in strict order but they did circulate the games to deal with the fact they had 18 games with 12 teams.

Not so now as they need to contrive BS for their blockbusters and all sorts of other BS.

It is silly but silly is what we expect from the AFL.

DS

12 teams and 22 rounds was great, 1 home and 1 away game against each team.

But, back in the late 1960s they extended the season from the old 18 games to 22. When it was 18 games and 12 clubs it did work on rotation, you would playe 11 teams, then play 7 more, and then they would run through the 4 you only played once plus 11 being all teams and then start again. Not sure if it was in strict order but they did circulate the games to deal with the fact they had 18 games with 12 teams.

Not so now as they need to contrive BS for their blockbusters and all sorts of other BS.

It is silly but silly is what we expect from the AFL.

DS
And back in the day of 12 teams it was a random draw. We’ve always had games on Easter Monday, Anzac Day and Kings Birthday, but it wasn’t until Sheedy decided that his team and Collingwood should own Anzac Day that they started planning a fixture around those games, which adds to the compromised nature of the draw.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally I dont have a problem with the AFL fixturing those big clashes twice each year. People want to see them.

What i do have a problem with is the AFL deliberately trying to make it easier for some teams to make the finals than others by trying to give them an easier fixture. Obviously the draw cant be even with 23 games/18 teams, but the difficulty of a teams draw should either be random, or they should divide the ladder into 6s like they do now and give everyone 2 teams from each section.