NFL & NCAA Football Threads | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

NFL & NCAA Football Threads

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just coming back to this, McCloud can’t catch it because the team mate (Luter) in front of him is blocking for him and running backwards into him. Hence why he didn’t/couldn’t make an attempt.

He called Luter off, but Luter said he didn’t hear him and that ultimately, it was really all on him (Luter).

If you wanted to blame anyone, it’d be Luter. But still, it was just bad luck it bounced off the back of Luter’s heel.
McCloud should've jumped on the ball to gain possession instead of trying to pick it up. How they fumble with gloves is beyond me.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
It is crazy to take the ball first in some ways. Taking it second means you have 4 downs to get the 10 yards. Obviously if the opposition score a touchdown there is more pressure but when you take possession first you almost cannot go for it on 4th down if you are still in your own half.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It is crazy to take the ball first in some ways. Taking it second means you have 4 downs to get the 10 yards. Obviously if the opposition score a touchdown there is more pressure but when you take possession first you almost cannot go for it on 4th down if you are still in your own half.
More proof as to why I say Shanahan is overrated and a deer in the headlights when the game is close.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
And just as I said yesterday, Shannon Sharpe absolutely baked Shanahan this morning for throwing the ball twice as much as handing it off to CMC.

IMO, Shanahan v Reid was as much the deciding factor in the game as Mahomes was.

Shanahan is undeniably a deer in the headlights under pressure.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
And just as I said yesterday, Shannon Sharpe absolutely baked Shanahan this morning for throwing the ball twice as much as handing it off to CMC.

IMO, Shanahan v Reid was as much the deciding factor in the game as Mahomes was.

Yep, definitely copping it through the media. Should've got Jimmy back.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017

Yeh, apparently during a strecth in the 3rd they threw on 8 out of 9 plays.

I think everyone can get carried away with Mahomes, he's the greatest ever, he's possibly the best sportsman ever etc etc. It was only because of the 9ers decisions that he even got the opportunities he did to win the game.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeh, apparently during a strecth in the 3rd they threw on 8 out of 9 plays.

I think everyone can get carried away with Mahomes, he's the greatest ever, he's possibly the best sportsman ever etc etc. It was only because of the 9ers decisions that he even got the opportunities he did to win the game.
That’s right. He went pass crazy. He went away from his number 1 offensive weapon - CMC running it.

And it’s not about yards per carry as it is also about 1) keeping Mahomes off the field and 2) causing mass indecision for the opposition defence who never know what you’re doing. And that’s what was happening in the first half. The Chiefs were all at sea when using CMC because it created short pass and slant holes.

But he went away from all that, became pass predictable, and it cost us a Super Bowl imo.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Horrendous enough for SEN to replay Wanker's boring commentary on this game. How many opportunities is this idiot given with this station.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Horrendous enough for SEN to replay Wanker's boring commentary on this game. How many opportunities is this idiot given with this station.
I have not listened to one minute of kermit since the footy season finished. Haven't missed his sanctimonius ramblings

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I had to laugh. They stuck him at the Tropicana for a few days in Vegas which is an old, run down dump of a hotel that’s at the southern end of the Strip and is slated for demolition to make way for the new baseball stadium. SEN short on bucks obviously.

He was complaining last week that Vegas wasn’t quite his town and thinly suggested that he wasn’t all that enthusiastic about the trip.

Knob of a bloke.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I had to laugh. They stuck him at the Tropicana for a few days in Vegas which is an old, run down dump of a hotel that’s at the southern end of the Strip and is slated for demolition to make way for the new baseball stadium. SEN short on bucks obviously.

He was complaining last week that Vegas wasn’t quite his town and thinly suggested that he wasn’t all that enthusiastic about the trip.

Knob of a bloke.
Too obvious. Why can't Crutchy just save the costs.....unless Wanker cries like a baby wanting everything in his hands. Why would anyone listen to non-American commentary on NFL games.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Pug Mahomes. How good is he. Didn't have a great game in some ways yet still won it when it counted. (Was every snap aimed at his ankles?)

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I don’t think getting first or second possession is as clear cut as people make it. If both teams fg or td then next score wins which is then a huge advantage for getting it first (and third).

Clearly going second you know what you have to chase or beat. 2 point conversion on the cards too if first team goes TD.

Analytics say it’s a coin flip. Some folks are butt hurt.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I don’t think getting first or second possession is as clear cut as people make it. If both teams fg or td then next score wins which is then a huge advantage for getting it first (and third).

Clearly going second you know what you have to chase or beat. 2 point conversion on the cards too if first team goes TD.

Analytics say it’s a coin flip. Some folks are butt hurt.

The problem with analytics is no two situations are the same. Different players, fields, conditions etc etc.

Personally I think it's fraught if people want to rely on analytics too much. It's usually the loser justifying their decision by saying the analytics were on their side.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
America continues to disgrace itself….

I reckon this will turn out to be connected to the MAGA Taylor swift conspiracy - which apparently 20% of Americans believe and Joe Biden poked fun at after Chiefs won.

America is at civil war IMO

horrible.

Australia need to work hard not to follow this path.

imagine 8 kids getting shot at our GF parade.

uphold truth, be kind.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
The problem with analytics is no two situations are the same. Different players, fields, conditions etc etc.

Personally I think it's fraught if people want to rely on analytics too much. It's usually the loser justifying their decision by saying the analytics were on their side.
Yep there are average outcomes and then also the likelihood of a specific play working or not and a whole butterfly effect thing in terms of a sequence of plays.

So yes analytics has some subjectivity to it but there is also a whole criticism that happens on play calling / draft pick selecting when you already know an outcome.

It has that poker feel to me where you can be 90% going into the flop and then your opposition lucks out and you are screwed after you went all in already. Your 90% call is technically the right one but you still lost. If you play the thing 100 you will probably win 90 - but you don’t get to.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
It has that poker feel to me where you can be 90% going into the flop and then your opposition lucks out and you are screwed after you went all in already. Your 90% call is technically the right one but you still lost. If you play the thing 100 you will probably win 90 - but you don’t get to.
The big difference is in poker the situation is always the same. The odds are the odds. The cards do not care who holds them. In the NFL, no two situations are the same. Different teams, different venues, different weather conditions. You cannot use analytics the same way.

< NRL | Golf >