NFL & NCAA Football Threads | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

NFL & NCAA Football Threads

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I wonder what the NFL playoff tv ratings on ESPN in Australia are like ? Would be interesting to see/know I reckon.

There was talk about doing an MLB a couple of years ago and playing a game or two in Australia. It went gangbusters in London. Maybe Australia is too far away for them. Anyway.
Take out test cricket and the Under 19 World Cup, Playoff Ratings are the highest on subscription TV.......and Mopsy's and Tiger Force 'fave' Peppa Pig goes alright too :whistle:

It was all cricket, cricket, cricket on Sundays telecast then 49ers-Cowboys at 7th, Chiefs - Steele's at 10th. Numbers wise NFL was about 1/3 of the best cricket day. This is in an Ashes series that's already done and dusted as well.

Monday's telecast day you have to go down to 18th spot Bills - Patriots (Peppa Pig and Baby Sharks beat it at 12th & 13th.) ;)

Screenshot_20220119-194915_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220119-195321_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I wonder what the NFL playoff tv ratings on ESPN in Australia are like ? Would be interesting to see/know I reckon.

There was talk about doing an MLB a couple of years ago and playing a game or two in Australia. It went gangbusters in London. Maybe Australia is too far away for them. Anyway.
We've had a few college games here in the recent past. One was going to be at the Dump but then got moved to $$$$ydney. Baseball's not big enough here for a reasonable crowd.....which is a shame as I'd love to have that as our 2nd summer sport instead of the Big *smile* and Z-League soccer.

Last edited:

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I’m looking for the cash out now option. Would’ve made a motza this week.

Good concept BlueFord.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
We've had a few college games here in the recent past. One was going to be at the Dump but then got moved to $$$$ydney. Baseball's not big enough here for a reasonable crowd.....which is a shame as I'd love to have that as our 2nd summer sport instead of the Big *smile* and Z-League soccer.
Got no problems watching MLB games here, NFL of they ever come, College I'm in, EPL yeah, but like all sports, for me, I find it very hard to follow if they're not the best of the best.

Can't watch ZBL basketball - a boring league, the Z-Bash cricket, the Z-League soccer. And the rest.

Give me the best in their chosen field, I'm there :cool:

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Take out test cricket and the Under 19 World Cup, Playoff Ratings are the highest on subscription TV.......and Mopsy's and Tiger Force 'fave' Peppa Pig goes alright too :whistle:

It was all cricket, cricket, cricket on Sundays telecast then 49ers-Cowboys at 7th, Chiefs - Steele's at 10th. Numbers wise NFL was about 1/3 of the best cricket day. This is in an Ashes series that's already done and dusted as well.

Monday's telecast day you have to go down to 18th spot Bills - Patriots (Peppa Pig and Baby Sharks beat it at 12th & 13th.) ;)

View attachment 14420
I like how the second most watched show was The Dinner break in the cricket @ 116,000 viewers.

• Haha

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Got no problems watching MLB games here, NFL of they ever come, College I'm in, EPL yeah, but like all sports, for me, I find it very hard to follow if they're not the best of the best.

Can't watch ZBL basketball - a boring league, the Z-Bash cricket, the Z-League soccer. And the rest.

Give me the best in their chosen field, I'm there :cool:
Spot on. Me too. B-League is rubbish. NBL just bearable. I actually reckon cricket is somewhat meaningless as a sport now too as a global sport anyway. Only 4 decent size countries play it. Big deal.

Good research there Jerry. Add the 7 Mate numbers in and you’ve got a reasonable audience tuning in - plus you’ve got to add the games up on the day.

Not bad. And getting bigger I suspect.

Last edited:

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
NFL could work down here, with a pretty big tweak to the fixture

Would have to schedule 2 Thursday night games, or maybe 1 Thursday night and 1 Fri night game.

2 of those competing clubs then play down under the following week, and then have their bye.

Chances of it happening? Buckleys and none.

• Love

Mopsy

Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane

View attachment 14420

View attachment 14423

and Mopsy's and Tiger Force 'fave' Peppa Pig goes alright too
:whistle:

I fell to the floor and started giggling uncontrollably at that

• Haha

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
NFL could work down here, with a pretty big tweak to the fixture

Would have to schedule 2 Thursday night games, or maybe 1 Thursday night and 1 Fri night game.

2 of those competing clubs then play down under the following week, and then have their bye.

Chances of it happening? Buckleys and none.
They only play some games in London ATM. I don't even think we have enough gridiron fans, especially in non-rugby states. Whether it be NFL or college, I'm a desperado to see it live.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
and Mopsy's and Tiger Force 'fave' Peppa Pig goes alright too
:whistle:

I fell to the floor and started giggling uncontrollably at that
Out of all animals, I have deep respect for the pig, otherwise where else would my favourite meat come from (ham, bacon, roast pork)

• Love

Mopsy

Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
They only play some games in London ATM. I don't even think we have enough gridiron fans, especially in non-rugby states. Whether it be NFL or college, I'm a desperado to see it live.
Hearing ya TF, would be great to see.

But, imo, the London games are a bit of a joke.

Am I going to travel to Melbourne from Brisbane to watch the Jaguars? Most probably not.

Put up a good game between non divisional rivals - say Steelers v 49ers, and yes I would.

And plenty of others would too.

I have no doubt NFL would pull a huge crowd in Australia, especially in Melbourne.

But being at the arse end of the world it ain’t gunna happen unfortunately.

Mopsy

Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Speaking of the London games, how does that actually work?

Is the designated home team re-imbersed by the NFL for loss of home game? Or is this covered by UK government? Who gets the gate takings?

Do the competing teams alternate each year who the home team is?

I‘ve never really thought about it

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Speaking of the London games, how does that actually work?

Is the designated home team re-imbersed by the NFL for loss of home game? Or is this covered by UK government? Who gets the gate takings?

Do the competing teams alternate each year who the home team is?

I‘ve never really thought about it
Dunno Mopsy. I haven't bothered to learn what happens in detail but noticed this from wiki, and I'd say any team can play there.

1642591416718.png

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Spot on. Me too. B-League is rubbish. NBL just bearable. I actually reckon cricket is somewhat meaningless as a sport now too as a global sport anyway. Only 4 decent size countries play it. Big deal.

Good research there Jerry. Add the 7 Mate numbers in and you’ve got a reasonable audience tuning in - plus you’ve got to add the games up on the day.

Not bad. And getting bigger I suspect.
Yeah add the Channel 7 numbers off 900,000 for cricket as well and it's miles ahead off everything man, 1.2, 1.3M people :cool:

Saudi Arabia surprisingly ahead off Australian fans, South Korea as well.
And the next graph hasn't broken into the top 10 Most Searched Sports for Australian websites.

1642647512900.png

1642647753914.png

Last edited:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Hearing ya TF, would be great to see.

But, imo, the London games are a bit of a joke.

Am I going to travel to Melbourne from Brisbane to watch the Jaguars? Most probably not.

Put up a good game between non divisional rivals - say Steelers v 49ers, and yes I would.

And plenty of others would too.

I have no doubt NFL would pull a huge crowd in Australia, especially in Melbourne.

But being at the arse end of the world it ain’t gunna happen unfortunately.
Very very rarely do they get even one of the two teams with a winning record, they get lots of Jaclsonville Jags, Jets, Dolphins, seen outstanding match-ups off Dolphins 1-4 v Jags 0-5. I believe one team, maybe the Giants around 2009 are the only team who have played their who finished with a winning record.

If we were to get that rubbish, that wouldn't really endear the sport to the fans.
We'd likely get West Coast teams if it ever happens, same as the East Coast teams is preferable for playing in England.

I defintely could do a 49ers - LA Rams, Seattle, Raiders, Chargers.

49ers - Raiders would do 90,000 at my 'church' (G), I reckon :love:

Last edited:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Dunno Mopsy. I haven't bothered to learn what happens in detail but noticed this from wiki, and I'd say any team can play there.

View attachment 14424
NFL didn't designate who to play there, so London got mostly tthe poor teams playing. Teams who knew they would finish poorly would sacrifice a home game (NFL does give them $1M for playing there) and still have 7 at home, fans get a discounted 7 game payment schedule if that happens.

From next year, now with the 17th game, meaning they can still play 8 home, 8 away and a London game, they're going to make rotate each division to play there. So e.g. they could see 49ers - Seattle, and the second London game would be Arizona - Rams.

Probably be more exciting knowing they're getting Divisional Match-Ups, at least they're rivalry games man :mhihi

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
NFL didn't designate who to play there, so London got mostly tthe poor teams playing. Teams who knew they would finish poorly would sacrifice a home game (NFL does give them $1M for playing there) and still have 7 at home, fans get a discounted 7 game payment schedule if that happens.

From next year, now with the 17th game, meaning they can still play 8 home, 8 away and a London game, they're going to make rotate each division to play there. So e.g. they could see 49ers - Seattle, and the second London game would be Arizona - Rams.

Probably be more exciting knowing they're getting Divisional Match-Ups, at least they're rivalry games man :mhihi
The real fact is the Yanks don't give a stuff about us. They act like best mates, but it's never true. Only UK, Europe and Asia are their real interest.

• Sad