Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
If Astbury takes the deepest forward imo Balta will be even more effective further up the field. More of an attacking CHB where his kicking skills would be very effective.
Grimes can go back to taking mediums and smalls.
Frees Grimes up to give Charlie Cameron another bath. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Playing on Hawkins will do a lot for Noah's education as a defender, he will get a lot of benefit from it. Making very few mistakes, he's playing like a 100 gamer.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Played his role really well. Grimes made his job that much easier though as hoped.
He doesn't need to be spectacular every week. Now just becoming part of an awesome backline.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Apart from against an in-form Dixon where the ball came in hot (I would argue he held his own that day anyway), he has not been beaten once this season.

Successfully negotiated every challenge thrown his way this season.

Tames

Tiger Superstar
Apr 3, 2005
Melbourne
Really hope they dont change his role too much with Astbury coming in. Obviously plays on confidence, and is doing so well where he is.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Really hope they dont change his role too much with Astbury coming in. Obviously plays on confidence, and is doing so well where he is.
Even with Astbury back having Noah in defence we would only be reverting to the 2017 /18 style of defence with Noah playing the Rance type role and that worked out well

Feb 25, 2007
Astbury and Balta to take on the bigger forwards and Grimes the 3rd man-up plus can also play on the smaller trickier forwards like Charlie Cameron

Reactions: 3 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
The young ones are better with the ball. Much better. There's a wave of this coming. And right now, our young one, Noah Balta, is at the head of them.

From the Geelong game, these plays are one or two seconds-

2Q 13:10 remaining. Deep back pocket. Panic time. A pack of ten spread over 30sq metres. In the chaos Grimes wins against Dangerfield but it's loose. Parfitt wins the ground ball against Grimes. Vlastuin instantly tackles. The ball jars free 1m. Balta gathers the ricochet deliberately in the left and so forms up in a nanosecond for a 12m handball though two opponents into the path of the forward running Ross. There is nobody else in the game who could do this.

2Q 08:16 Panic time. Deep back pocket. Grimes down. Jarvis gathers, is instantly tackled by two. Balta closes the outlet and gathers a 100mm spill. While tackled he rotates 135 and shoves a handball/spill 1.5m into the path of the running Cotchin. Clear.

2Q 06:51. Deep back pocket. It’s panic time. Under siege again. Grimes, trapped by three, handballs 2m back to Balta who is facing the boundary and 300mm short of it. Close about to push him over the line. His right foot is over the line as he kicks with the outside behind and under the outstretched arms of Jarvis? To Baker on the boundary who is clear. If he had been near the goals we would be talking about the greatest goal of all time.

4Q 07:45 Back pocket. You know what time it is. Balta flies but has run under it. Ouch. Gets another touch in the air. Nank? Spoils and falls. Noah keeps his feet. Ball spills to Henry who fires a handball backwards to Ratugolea. Balta gets a hand to it. Misfires. Hits it again. Misfires. Hits it again. It's a pinball. Ball to ground. Dangerfield roves. Balta strips him. Spills it. Rucks it by foot to the unattended Cotchin. Ball cleared.

Remember that flat 35m handball off a step? I used to think that was the mark of a freak but I know now we aint seen nuthen yet.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
2Q 13:10 remaining. Deep back pocket. Panic time. A pack of ten spread over 30sq metres. In the chaos Grimes wins against Dangerfield but it's loose. Parfitt wins the ground ball against Grimes. Vlastuin instantly tackles. The ball jars free 1m. Balta gathers the ricochet deliberately in the left and so forms up in a nanosecond for a 12m handball though two opponents into the path of the forward running Ross. There is nobody else in the game who could do this.
I had to go take a look.I couldn't believe it first shot on watchafl I hit the slider right onto this exact passage of play! I must remind myself to get a tatts ticket tomorrow. Just a small correction handball hit Graham on the tit who passed to Ross. You're right awesome speed. I noticed that a few times too. He definitely thinks fast for a big man.

Reactions: 1 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I had to go take a look.I couldn't believe it first shot on watchafl I hit the slider right onto this exact passage of play! I must remind myself to get a tatts ticket tomorrow. Just a small correction handball hit Graham on the tit who passed to Ross. You're right awesome speed. I noticed that a few times too. He definitely thinks fast for a big man.

Ah, thank you, s_m. That makes more sense. God couldn't hit that one I (mis)saw.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Ah, thank you, s_m. That makes more sense. God couldn't hit that one I (mis)saw.
To tell you the truth I had to replay several times to identify who received the handball. Even now I'm not 100% as the camera and ball moved so quickly. Whoever it is has a decent tan, a large number and a waddle gait. Initially I thought Markov but the latter attributes point to Graham as my guess :)

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Not sure that Balta and Astbury can play in defence together, and they need to gel immediately.

Richmond would seem to be happy with a ruckman that nullifies the opposition ruck,
then can take a contested mark, especially down the line.

We have Broad and Markov in excellent form who cant squeeze into our defence.

Maybe with Astbury now back, Balta could be our back up ruck?
Baltas motor should be good enough to give Nank a rest, and just work between the 50 metre arcs?

But after seeing Astbury rucking in the scratch match, maybe Astbury gives Nank a rest and just follows the opposition ruck around the ground?
Leaving Balta at FB where he has been doing so well?

Looking for any option than Chol!