Numbers don't lie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Numbers don't lie

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Heard a lot of nuffies on social media claiming our flags in '17 & '19 were gifted to us etc so i did some digging to see how we have compared to our opposition in the last 3 seasons in terms of total wins & the findings are as follows -

H&A (Finals) wins 2017-2019

Richmond 49 (7)
Geelong 44 (2)
West Coast 43 (5)
GWS 40 (5)
Collingwood 39 (3)
Adelaide 37 (2)
Port Adelaide 37
Sydney 36 (1)
Essendon 36
Hawthorn 36
Melbourne 31 (2)
Western Bulldogs 31
North Melbourne 28
Brisbane 26
Fremantle 25
St Kilda 24
Carlton 15
Gold Coast 13

Total

Richmond 56
Geelong 46
West Coast 48
GWS 45
Collingwood 42
Adelaide 39
Port Adelaide 37
Sydney 37
Essendon 36
Hawthorn 36
Melbourne 33
Western Bulldogs 31
North Melbourne 28
Brisbane 26
Fremantle 25
St Kilda 24
Carlton 15
Gold Coast 13

So for the Nuffies who say we were lucky to win 2 Flags, we really should have won all 3!

Reactions: 10 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
We COULD have won all three.
But if you believe we missed one last year, you could also say we jagged one the year before.
We were by far the best team this year and you could make a case for 2019 being the first year that the best team won the flag since Hawthorn in 2013.

Reactions: 4 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
But if you believe we missed one last year, you could also say we jagged one the year before.
We were by far the best team this year and you could make a case for 2019 being the first year that the best team won the flag since Hawthorn in 2013.
Agree

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Heard a lot of nuffies on social media claiming our flags in '17 & '19 were gifted to us etc so i did some digging to see how we have compared to our opposition in the last 3 seasons in terms of total wins & the findings are as follows -

Richmond 49 (7)
Geelong 44 (2)
West Coast 43 (5)
GWS 40 (5)
Collingwood 39 (3)
Adelaide 37 (2)
Port Adelaide 37
Sydney 36 (1)
Essendon 36
Hawthorn 36
Melbourne 31 (2)
Western Bulldogs 31
North Melbourne 28
Brisbane 26
Fremantle 25
St Kilda 24
Carlton 15
Gold Coast 13

Total

Richmond 56
Geelong 46
West Coast 48
GWS 45
Collingwood 42
Adelaide 39
Port Adelaide 37
Sydney 37
Essendon 36
Hawthorn 36
Melbourne 33
Western Bulldogs 31
North Melbourne 28
Brisbane 26
Fremantle 25
St Kilda 24
Carlton 15
Gold Coast 13

So for the Nuffies who say we were lucky to win 2 Flags, we really should have won all 3!

Carlton with Doofus :rotfl1

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

My view on the last 3 years is,

in 2017 we grew belief over the last 10 weeks and we were the form team at the end of it.

In 2018 we were too good in the early part of the season, we were unstoppable, but after that Adelaide game when we lost graham and Bulter we lost something, we weren’t running on all cylinders. Collingwood think they’re good beating us, I believe anyone we played from the top 4 on that night would’ve beaten us. Dusty was injured, Rance saved his worse game for that night and Astbury should’ve stayed in bed, it was horrific to watch.

In 2019 we changed stables got a new trainer Lee Freeman Hardwick, and we paced ourselves all year. We didn’t sling shot like 2018, but we grew into the season and come home like Doriumus in the 95 cup.

12 wins after the bye.
Average winning margin 37 points.
Average winning margin in the finals 51 points ....unbelievable

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang

Richmond 49 (7)
Geelong 44 (2)
West Coast 43 (5)
GWS 40 (5)
Collingwood 39 (3)
Adelaide 37 (2)
Port Adelaide 37
Sydney 36 (1)
Essendon 36
Hawthorn 36
Melbourne 31 (2)
Western Bulldogs 31
North Melbourne 28
Brisbane 26
Fremantle 25
St Kilda 24
Carlton 15
Gold Coast 13

Total

Richmond 56
Geelong 46
West Coast 48
GWS 45
Collingwood 42
Adelaide 39
Port Adelaide 37
Sydney 37
Essendon 36
Hawthorn 36
Melbourne 33
Western Bulldogs 31
North Melbourne 28
Brisbane 26
Fremantle 25
St Kilda 24
Carlton 15
Gold Coast 13

Just on the finals alone , I’d doubt there has been a more dominant team in the modern era, I think the 20 odd point win over the Cats was our smallest finals win in 3 years

Reactions: 4 users

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
In 2018 we were too good in the early part of the season, we were unstoppable, but after that Adelaide game when we lost graham and Bulter we lost something, we weren’t running on all cylinders. Collingwood think they’re good beating us, I believe anyone we played from the top 4 on that night would’ve beaten us. Dusty was injured, Rance saved his worse game for that night and Astbury should’ve stayed in bed, it was horrific to watch.

Absolutely agree, and Collingwood and West Coast were playing hard. We won the most games we weren't the best team at that time and yes still remember watching that game. Sh!t as they say happens.

Love this year - we weren't seen as lucky, we weren't seen as the ones to beat, we had the greatest drama and dad got 17-1 on the Tiges to win the GF at the bye.
Happy days.

Reactions: 2 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
By the time the finals came around this year, we were only just warming up. I reckon we still had a couple of gears to go through.

Next year I think we’ll be a bit like a horse who wants to bolt - we’re gonna no to have to keep ourselves in check so we don’t peak too early.

Maybe Dusty should sit out the first half of the year.

Reactions: 1 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

I reckon on balance we and Geelong were equal best teams this year, the only difference is they absolutely smashed the first half of the year, their form was sublime yet for some reason they hit a wall after the bye (age maybe) while we smashed the post bye period and blisted the finals.

The prelim with hindsight was an accurate reflection of the season proper.

I also think the prelim displayed the 4 best teams of the year (pies had good patches during the year also).

Agree we were the best by a country mile when it matters.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Most people I know (non Richmond) think the best team won and think we will be hard to beat again next year. I think I agree with them.

Reactions: 2 users

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Some people just can't handle the fact that we are actually a power of the comp now, not useless laughable old Richmond.

But as roar emotion posted, a lot of people i speak to also say the same type of thing.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
My view on the last 3 years is,

in 2017 we grew belief over the last 10 weeks and we were the form team at the end of it.

In 2019 we changed stables got a new trainer Lee Freeman Hardwick, and we paced ourselves all year. We didn’t sling shot like 2018, but we grew into the season and come home like Doriumus in the 95 cup.

12 wins after the bye.
Average winning margin 37 points.
Average winning margin in the finals 51 points ....unbelievable
Quite agree. It may have gone unnoticed, but is this your best ever post, Zips? Got to be one of.

So literate, rational ... and even correct. Good work, Zips. I think the Tigers' great recent success has 'gentrified' you.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
By the time the finals came around this year, we were only just warming up. I reckon we still had a couple of gears to go through.

Next year I think we’ll be a bit like a horse who wants to bolt - we’re gonna no to have to keep ourselves in check so we don’t peak too early.

Maybe Dusty should sit out the first half of the year.

We need to rest the star players against *smile* opponents.
That means Dusty cotchin jack & Castagnafield miss the entire home & away season
They will return for the first qualifying final..

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
We need to rest the star players against **** opponents.
That means Dusty cotchin jack & Castagnafield miss the entire home & away season
They will return for the first qualifying final..
They would still be playing *smile* opponents when they come back though

:))

• Haha

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

Not sure about that. Our 2017 performance in the finals was the most complete by winning margin since Essendon in 2000. We were dominant by the finals of that 2017 season.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Some people just can't handle the fact that we are actually a power of the comp now, not useless laughable old Richmond.

But as roar emotion posted, a lot of people i speak to also say the same type of thing.
If you listen to the media carefully, most always state that in 2017, 2018 or 2019 we are the best team of the season BUT for that year only, rather than in general. There's always a silent sound of words as shown in yellow, such as: "....Richmond were the best team of the season, and only that season...." As we are in the 3rd year of dominance, I still haven't heard any sentence stating: "...Richmond have been the best team of the last 3 years...." from any media outlet. They just want to limit us to 1 season and that's it, just like most d-head oppo supporters whinging..."OK they're a great side, but now that the GF is over, a new season starts..."

Last edited: