On a high for 4 and a half years.... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

On a high for 4 and a half years....

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Basically we have dominated the competition absolutely for 4 and half years.
2017 to Rd 12, 2021.

What we achieved in that time was phenomenal.
Mind boggling.
Amazing.
Left us happy and proud.
Left us the envy of the competition.

We pretty much only lost one match that counted in that entire time.
We all know which one that was.
Bloody Blind Septic!

So we lost 1 Game that mattered in well over a Hundred.
Wow!

Rd 12, 2021 was The Dreamtime match in Perth when we steamrolled The Bombres (spelt correctly!:mhihi) after they pegged back our 4 Goal lead.
We then kicked 7 Goals in about 10-12 minutes to completely torch them. Won by 39 pts.

Since then we have played 13 Games.
3 Wins
1 Draw
9 Losses.

Sure many things/factors have brought us down.
Covid.
Border Lockdowns. Rules. Protocols.
Aging List.
City Hall funding cuts. Less Asst Coaches.
City Hall ridiculous rule changes and their interpretations. Stand. Good Boy!
Injuries and their management.

Has the team got any fuel in the tank for another tilt this year?
I am hoping it's not over but we have really fallen away in these last 13 Games.
That's a pretty poor and quick drop for a team of our standing.

This year we have been in front in all games and by big margins in Rd 1 and 3.
Only to fall away gloriously in the last quarter. Ok make that ingloriously.
Just waiting to see now if this group of players is hurt enough by the manner of the 2 losses.
Can they rise? Do they want to?
Time to play Syd A Knee, Sonsie, Banks, Brown, RCD, Cumbo?

The media has sold us down the river and pushed us over the cliff.
I don't want this to come across as a Doomsdayer piece.

I am so proud of what this side has achieved.
I never imagined I'd ever get a Tiger tattoo if we ever broke the curse.
A promise I made to myself.
37 God forsaken Years.
It happened. And I got one.

I am hoping this is not the end.

I Love you Tigers.
Always.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 32 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Yep helluva ride.

If i was told in 2016

Tigers can win 3 flag in 4 years, then 40 years in the wilderness,

Id take it in a blink.

So a 3-4 year dip will be easy time. Even a decade.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
I cannot get over the Blues and Saints fan trying to stick it up us Tiger fans after our losses this year. I just smile and say “3 flags in 4 years- I’ll take that over one loss”

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Tiger Hammer

Tiger Cub
Apr 3, 2014
Basically we have dominated the competition absolutely for 4 and half years.
2017 to Rd 12, 2021.

What we achieved in that time was phenomenal.
Mind boggling.
Amazing.
Left us happy and proud.
Left us the envy of the competition.

We pretty much only lost one match that counted in that entire time.
We all know which one that was.
Bloody Blind Septic!

So we lost 1 Game that mattered in well over a Hundred.
Wow!

Rd 12, 2021 was The Dreamtime match in Perth when we steamrolled The Bombres (spelt correctly!:mhihi) after they pegged back our 4 Goal lead.
We then kicked 7 Goals in about 10-12 minutes to completely torch them. Won by 39 pts.

Since then we have played 13 Games.
3 Wins
1 Draw
9 Losses.

Sure many things/factors have brought us down.
Covid
Border Lockdowns. Rules. Protocols.
Aging List.
City Hall funding cuts. Less Asst Coaches.
City Hall ridiculous rule changes and their interpretations. Stand. Good Boy!
Injuries and their management.

Has the team got any fuel in the tank for another tilt this year?
I am hoping it's not over but we have really fallen away in these last 13 Games.
That's a pretty poor and quick drop for a team of our standing.

This year we have been in front in all games and by big margins in Rd 1 and 3.
Only to fall away gloriously in the last quarter. Ok make that ingloriously.
Just waiting to see now if this group of players is hurt enough by the manner of the 2 losses.
Can they rise? Do they want to?
Time to play Syd A Knee, Sonsie, Banks, Brown, RCD, Cumbo?

The media has sold us down the river and pushed us over the cliff.
I don't want this to come across as a Doomsdayer piece.

I am so proud of what this side has achieved.
I never imagined I'd ever get a Tiger tattoo if we ever broke the curse.
A promise I made to myself.
37 God forsaken Years.
It happened. And I got one.

I am hoping this is not the end.

I Love you Tigers.
Always.
Thanks Glove.
You have just summed up exactly how I feel.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I cannot get over the Blues and Saints fan trying to stick it up us Tiger fans after our losses this year. I just smile and say “3 flags in 4 years- I’ll take that over one loss”
Those morons have to remember and realise that WE let them in. We lead, choked and let them in. They didn't win, we lost.

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs

All you have to say to a Saints fan is "You guys have won 1 Premiership in 125 years of your existence, we've won 3 in 4 years you sad pathetic loser!"

They generally dont say much after that!

To a Cartoon fan you just have to say "We've won 3 in 4 years, I'll take that over the CRAP your pathetic club have offered over the last 25 years you sad pathetic loser!"

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

immorta

~~we are eternal all this pain is an illusion~~
Mar 31, 2005
Melbourne
Especially Saints fans, sheesh

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Great post. I have a Saints fan as a business partner, born in 1967 and has attended the 1997/2009/2010 x 2 GF losses. He takes cold comfort in wins like the one on Sunday. He'd give away every win he has seen for just one GF win. He may not get one in his lifetime. To have 3 in 4 years is astonishing.

I attended every game in the 2017 finals series, I get goosebumps typing it still. The booing as the cats came out, the roar of that opening goal. Dusty's masterclass on Stewart on the wing occurred right in front of me. memories that will never be lost.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users

immorta

~~we are eternal all this pain is an illusion~~
Mar 31, 2005
Melbourne
The 2017 season was a ride I'll never forget, and beating the cats in the 2020 GF in the manner we did, I could watch that *smile* over and over again.

More than happy to let the dust settle, reload, and experience the ride again in the future.

Reactions: 9 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
We may flounder for a couple of years.
But one thing is for certain.
It won't be for 37yrs.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Our two best players are Dustin Martin and Dion Prestia. Our fortunes hinge on getting them sound, fit and on the park. Without them we can still do plenty. But September is not on.

We're in an interesting place as at end of R3.

Unlike 2021 we had from the outset some youth coming through. (No youth, no hope.) Gibcus. Ross and Ralphsmith are getting games now. And Dow is getting chance. Sonsie, Banks, Juddy are in the wings. And with Balta and Rioli emerging we have some maturing senior stocks.

As at R1 2022 the cupboard is not bare. It takes time to get new personnel to gel. But there are new players who will make an impact. And thanks to injury they are getting opportunity and will continue to.

From here we need some of the youth to establish themselves. We need Balta and Rioli to establish themselves. And we need players like Nank, Vlastuin, Tarrant, Lynch, and at least one of Jack, Chimp or Edwards to find form and soundness. We can flesh out around them.

On Lambert, it seems he may come up this year. It's not the sort of outcome we should be banking on. But it would be nice. I factor this at 0% because bearish. (TBPH I'm a bit worried about this development. Can none of the youngsters get the kms?)

What really matters is that Dustin Martin and Dion Prestia are sound and on the park. If we can bump along at near 50/50 for wins until the bye and then get our gerries to cohere with our youngsters we can play in September.

Last year we always had the bare cupboard nagging at us. Injuries were trebly bad because there was no significant youth. This year we can at least blood blokes with a future if it all turns to *smile*.

More brightly, if we can get Martin and Prestia sound and on the park mostly for the middle season and totally after the bye we can have a good year.

NB the brilliant injury/soundness management of 2017, 2019-20, evaporated in 2021. We'd need to see evidence of much better soundness of onfield personnel before we could be confident. In fact, that's the main thing we're looking for. But we won't see it yet.

It may look like it's turned to *smile* but remember - this is the Phoney Season - results are very misleading.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Our two best players are Dustin Martin and Dion Prestia. Our fortunes hinge on getting them sound, fit and on the park. Without them we can still do plenty. But September is not on.

We're in an interesting place as at end of R3.

Unlike 2021 we had from the outset some youth coming through. (No youth, no hope.) Gibcus. Ross and Ralphsmith are getting games now. And Dow is getting chance. Sonsie, Banks, Juddy are in the wings. And with Balta and Rioli emerging we have some maturing senior stocks.

As at R1 2022 the cupboard is not bare. It takes time to get new personnel to gel. But there are new players who will make an impact. And thanks to injury they are getting opportunity and will continue to.

From here we need some of the youth to establish themselves. We need Balta and Rioli to establish themselves. And we need players like Nank, Vlastuin, Tarrant, Lynch, and at least one of Jack, Chimp or Edwards to find form and soundness. We can flesh out around them.

On Lambert, it seems he may come up this year. It's not the sort of outcome we should be banking on. But it would be nice. I factor this at 0% because bearish. (TBPH I'm a bit worried about this development. Can none of the youngsters get the kms?)

What really matters is that Dustin Martin and Dion Prestia are sound and on the park. If we can bump along at near 50/50 for wins until the bye and then get our gerries to cohere with our youngsters we can play in September.

Last year we always had the bare cupboard nagging at us. Injuries were trebly bad because there was no significant youth. This year we can at least blood blokes with a future if it all turns to *smile*.

More brightly, if we can get Martin and Prestia sound and on the park mostly for the middle season and totally after the bye we can have a good year.

NB the brilliant injury/soundness management of 2017, 2019-20, evaporated in 2021. We'd need to see evidence of much better soundness of onfield personnel before we could be confident. In fact, that's the main thing we're looking for. But we won't see it yet.

It may look like it's turned to *smile* but remember - this is the Phoney Season - results are very misleading.
*smile*,I love you. It doesn't get said enough, you're the best football writer in the country. :love:

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
All you have to say to a Saints fan is "You guys have won 1 Premiership in 125 years of your existence, we've won 3 in 4 years you sad pathetic loser!"

They generally dont say much after that!

To a Cartoon fan you just have to say "We've won 3 in 4 years, I'll take that over the CRAP your pathetic club have offered over the last 25 years you sad pathetic loser!"
Have one of each at work. Copped it after both losses which was disappointing since I never rubbed our success in their faces the past 5 years. However this time I bit back.
To the carlscum supporter- less than 2 years since our last flag, more than 2 DECADES since your last flag.
To the saints flog- yes. Good win. I’ll just have to console myself with which DVD to watch from the 3 premiership victory packs to choose from. You need to decide whether to watch snippets from the 8 mm film of your flag or “The Streak” DVD . I envy you.

I hope they have good memories :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Was an amazing ride , even in 2018 the year we failed in the finals , we played some amazing football to break the consecutive win record at the G

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Maybe it's me but I still think we are playing some good footy when we are on. Its fitness and/or mental to keep it up.

@eZyT, there's no way I could survive 40 years in the wilderness. We have to get back within 5 years for me to be content

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Was an amazing ride , even in 2018 the year we failed in the finals , we played some amazing football to break the consecutive win record at the G
You could argue that taking each of the four seasons in their entirety, 2018 was when we were at our most dominant.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users