One last rookie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

One last rookie

Who should be selected as the final rookie

• young talent - Sydney Stack

Votes: 73 65.8%
  • best mid outside of the AFL - mitch grigg

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • reformed talent - Marlion Pickett

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • a ruckman, any ruckman - Tom Goodwin

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Cheese sandwich

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reminds me of a situation we had a few years ago now when we had 3-4 guys training for one spot and that rule was changed. Might have been the spot travis Casserley was training for if my memory serves me correctly?

I think that rule changed because of the uncertainty for the next level clubs they are affiliated with. Taking a vfl listed rookie for instance in March is hard on that club.

I would go for young talent with this pick.

Suggest that its completely different circumstances to Yarran... but again i only know what i read in the papers.
What the reports have said, for the last 5 years, is that he is a family man and committed / matured.
No suggestion of substance etc

tigerdell said:
Suggest that its completely different circumstances to Yarran... but again i only know what i read in the papers.
What the reports have said, for the last 5 years, is that he is a family man and committed / matured.
No suggestion of substance etc

Also, we are talking about the last spot on our list and minimum coin. As opposed to Yarran that cost us a first round pick and was paid $500K or whatever to deal with his 'mental illness'

I've been nervous for a couple of seasons (yes, during our premiership year) about our Ruck situation. And I'm not the only one.

To placate these fears we must find a very strong VFL Ruckman to fill in when needed in our AFL team or if Nankervis gets injured.

i think I'm a bit confused with this rookie rule. Wouldn't we be better not to sign anyone at the moment and wait to see how the pre-season goes? ie: if we lose Nank or a KPP to an ACL in Feb. and we have filled this last rookie spot with Stack... then the way i am understanding things; we are basically a ruck or KPP down leading into round 1. The mid-season draft date has not been confirmed yet- but as it states "mid-season draft"- we might be a ruck or a KPP down between round 1 and round 11. I must be missing something here- but my thoughts are to keep the spot available and come March- make a decision based on what we need; just before the season gets underway. This way as well- one of our scouts around Australia might have found one or 3 KPP's or Rucks who have had unbelievable, injury free pre-seasons/ added 10cm plus 15kgs of muscle; and are ready to go after dominating 2-3 internal/external trial/practice games at their local (SANFL, WAFL, MPNFL) club and have had them all spend a week or 2 at Punt Road seeing how they go; before round 1 and the March 15 cut-off. Once in the system come March 15- get them doing one on ones with the coaching group to get Richmond's 2019 game-style into their heads. Compensate the local club we pinched them from with some $ and junior footy clinics... if we have a golden injury free run during pre-season- then take best available for the last rookie spot on March 14; ie: Grigg, Stack, Bolton, etc. based on their previous form + 2019 pre-season at SANFL/WAFL/VFL level.

OldTiger1967 said:
I've been nervous for a couple of seasons (yes, during our premiership year) about our Ruck situation. And I'm not the only one.

To placate these fears we must find a very strong VFL Ruckman to fill in when needed in our AFL team or if Nankervis gets injured.

I see posts like yours often on various websites and forums

When you say VFL Ruckman , Ivan Soldo is arguably one of the better VFL Ruckman going around
I dont really rate him very highly but he is as good as you are going to get in the state league and its not like there is a Max Gawn or Brodie Grundy playing that we can just select.

turk-d-tiger said:
I see posts like yours often on various websites and forums

When you say VFL Ruckman , Ivan Soldo is arguably one of the better VFL Ruckman going around
I dont really rate him very highly but he is as good as you are going to get in the state league and its not like there is a Max Gawn or Brodie Grundy playing that we can just select.

Then we must search the land, every league, to find a better ruckman to be available when Nankervis cannot play.

Of the ruck options the best from WA (Zac clarke) was picked by essendon. The best in SA(brooksby) was picked by West coast. Another SA option (Darcy fort) was drafted.
The 2 best in the vfl are 30yo and long overlooked. Last years vfl option (abbott) went to geelong.
The best cast off (dogs Campbell) is likely off to north.

So the next best option is a long way down from afl level. And Soldo would probably have him covered.
No point selecting a backup who is not better than our backup

Would be good if the club got Luke Strnadica over to train with us, turns 21 in January. He got delisted from the Dockers when they recruited Rory Lobb, he has got to be worth a look.

OldTiger1967 said:
Then we must search the land, every league, to find a better ruckman to be available when Nankervis cannot play.

You have the Sanfl , Wafl , Neafl & Vfl anything below this is pointless unless you are looking for a twig kid ruckman
Pruess was dominating VFL - North traded him and very cheaply as he is at the same level as Soldo and Soldo is probably more mobile than him
Darcy Cameron was a dominating Ruckman in the Wafl which i liked but is again only at the same level as Soldo
Port went and paid good $$$ for Lycett as a free agent and im talking nearly the same dollars that Lynch is getting - Again just above Soldo and not as good as Nank

You cant just pluck a ruckman out of nowhere, Thats Why the Bailey Williams draft would have been so good for our structure as in 2 years time we could have played

Coleman-Jones , Balta & Williams all in the same team rotating between Fwd/Ruck

DirtyDogTiger said:
Shots on goal

I Mean wTF is that? Everyone accepted it
Where’s the sheep emoticon ??

Heard one of our new recruits say “versing” in one of the RFC interviews. God help us.

Stack is a monty. Would have to fail on multiple levels to miss and that is not going to happen.