Opposition discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Opposition discussion

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Listening to Jordan Lewis tonight on 360, I reckon I've come up with the way the Gold Coast could work.

Turn the side into a graveyard for former players. Every year just top up with good players coming to the end of their careers, trade every low pick out and just top up the list with second tier players keen for a chance at the top level. They would be able to pay some nice super to guys on the edge of retiring to go a couple more years, and most of them want to anyway. You'd also create premiership chances for guys who had never been able to win one.

There's holes in this everywhere but just for example, their team put together over the past couple of years would be:

B: Heath Shaw Dale Morris Andy Otten
HB: Kade Simpson Harry Taylor Lewis Jetta
C: Travis Varcoe Bryce Gibbs Dale Thomas
HF: Alan Christensen Justin Westhoff Jack Watts
F: Brandon Matera Jarryd Roughhead Hayden Ballantyne
R: Sam Jacobs Gary Ablett Tom Scully
I: Cam McCarthy Ricky Henderson Paul Puopolo Will Scofield.

They would come for players like Jack Riewoldt, Bachar Houli, Shannon Hurn, Josh Kennedy (both), Callan Ward, Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom, Marc Murphy, Burgoyne, Betts, Mundy, Nathan Jones etc at the end of this year.

It would be competitive and pretty quickly catch on as a point of interest in the competition I think. Under stand the appeal of being a one club player but this would almost become a rep side to celebrate careers in and be a bit of an honour to be picked for. Would also save a lot of angst and uncomfortable meetings between players and clubs, and keep everyone on good terms.
Aren't Geelong already doing that?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Listening to Jordan Lewis tonight on 360, I reckon I've come up with the way the Gold Coast could work.

Turn the side into a graveyard for former players. Every year just top up with good players coming to the end of their careers, trade every low pick out and just top up the list with second tier players keen for a chance at the top level. They would be able to pay some nice super to guys on the edge of retiring to go a couple more years, and most of them want to anyway. You'd also create premiership chances for guys who had never been able to win one.

There's holes in this everywhere but just for example, their team put together over the past couple of years would be:

B: Heath Shaw Dale Morris Andy Otten
HB: Kade Simpson Harry Taylor Lewis Jetta
C: Travis Varcoe Bryce Gibbs Dale Thomas
HF: Alan Christensen Justin Westhoff Jack Watts
F: Brandon Matera Jarryd Roughhead Hayden Ballantyne
R: Sam Jacobs Gary Ablett Tom Scully
I: Cam McCarthy Ricky Henderson Paul Puopolo Will Scofield.

They would come for players like Jack Riewoldt, Bachar Houli, Shannon Hurn, Josh Kennedy (both), Callan Ward, Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom, Marc Murphy, Burgoyne, Betts, Mundy, Nathan Jones etc at the end of this year.

It would be competitive and pretty quickly catch on as a point of interest in the competition I think. Under stand the appeal of being a one club player but this would almost become a rep side to celebrate careers in and be a bit of an honour to be picked for. Would also save a lot of angst and uncomfortable meetings between players and clubs, and keep everyone on good terms.
Was he serious in this proposal? Zero chance of happening and 100% chance of failure if it did IMO.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Does anybody think that Cameron will be reported for the late takle
Not with SHocking running that part of the circus.
Game would be turning to *smile* bigtime if that was reportable. Just a crappy tackle that dragged high n unfortunate that Neale tweaked a shoulder when his arm hit the deck.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I'll preface this by saying I reckon Patrick Cripps is a bloody good player..... 6 year extension is crazy imo for a bloke whose body is looking seriously banged up, not unlike Kruezer who they completely wrecked.
I suppose if they jag a flag in the next 3 or 4 years no one will give a stuff.
Anyway, hopefully he's helping to blow up their salary cap!

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Anyone see Daniher's massive flop last night? >>> https://hi.switchy.io/4lJo

Matty La-loyd must have been so proud!

Wow, haven't seen it properly until now.

Someone brushes his back and he goes down a bit, straightens up a little, then dives forward. Will he get cited for this? Doubt it. One of the more obvious dives I've seen.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I'll preface this by saying I reckon Patrick Cripps is a bloody good player..... 6 year extension is crazy imo for a bloke whose body is looking seriously banged up, not unlike Kruezer who they completely wrecked.
Apparently that was a Bolton trademark - you're capable of playing so soldier on.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Purely trying to hide their incompetence. No people moving about, no people going to work, no people in crowds at sport = no cooties transmission.

Old mate Daaaaaan has been taking plenty of lessons from Chairman Xie n Little Kimmy, just lovin the control n power.
Since you raised it here, how's Gullible Gladys going currently? Been hiding and fudging their actual cases and transmission for months, concealing the facts in NSW (I'll produce heaps of detailed evidence if you want to see it) so have now allowed the dangerous and vigorous Delta variant into Australia. But not satisfied with that monumental and criminal incompetence, of course, following the bidding of Scomo's Murdoch acolytes (who truly runs the country under L/NP especially), have spread it both around the country including Vic. and even NZ. Samples now detected in wastewater in Bourke!

Truly the Gold Standard of *smile* deception ... that millions of nuff-nuffs fall easily for!

It's almost enough to put me off the game tonight.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Not with SHocking running that part of the circus.
Game would be turning to *smile* bigtime if that was reportable. Just a crappy tackle that dragged high n unfortunate that Neale tweaked a shoulder when his arm hit the deck.
What are you talking about? Wasn't it SHocking that wanted McKay done for 4 wks? (Not that I thought he should have escaped penalty)

And then further gullibility now on footy. You don't realise Geethrow perfected these accidental/incidental incidents years ago, make to look just 'clumsy'? Cameron ensures he does not release well after the ball is gone, so he can drag him down hard into the turf with most of his weight behind it. Duckwood, Hawk and Scottie would have been really chuffed; might have taken LN out of the game.

Moggs been doing this for several years, knowing AFL 'authorities' will ignore it. So obvious with incidents ignored to our players involving them; Hawkins, Flopper, Selwood, GAblett in '20 et al.

Just compare MRO outcomes and media treatment for our guys - Dusty, Soldo, Lynch, Marlion.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yep. Mind you, we kind of buggered Mark Coughlan the same way. Glad our fortunes have changed since then.
True. Maybe our first ever No.1 draft pick too - Anthony Banik? Or at least ruined him mentally by dumping so much expectation on his shoulders so early.
It's probably symptomatic of under-performing teams; just too tempting with all the fan, club and media pressure.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
True. Maybe our first ever No.1 draft pick too - Anthony Banik? Or at least ruined him mentally by dumping so much expectation on his shoulders so early.
It's probably symptomatic of under-performing teams; just too tempting with all the fan, club and media pressure.
Yeah, for sure. I think Banik also came down with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, stress could have played a part in that as well.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Port Bears away and Dogs at home the Cats are going up and down in the one spot.

They need more soft kills at Corio .................. and they'll get them.