Opposition discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Opposition discussion

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
It was widely reported at the time.
this isn't the 1st time you have inferred this.

no mention of it here

or here

or here

or here

or here

or here

Maybe it was in the Hun or Age, not widely reported though was it

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Maybe it was in the Hun or Age, not widely reported though was it

Weird thing to go to so much trouble about but yeah it was. It probably wasn't in an article about Fev losing weight though.

You can take it or leave it but I can tell you without any doubt Hardwick didn't take a pay cut in his last deal and stayed on the same money he was on previously, which cost us staff and pissed a few people off.

I'm not knocking him for doing it, I always think everyone should take the money, I reckon Dustin should have gone to North. Hardwick has three flags next to his name and will never have a better chance to earn in his life and that opportunity has been dented by Covid anyway, so he should take every penny he can.

taztiger4

Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Weird thing to go to so much trouble about but yeah it was. It probably wasn't in an article about Fev losing weight though.

You can take it or leave it but I can tell you without any doubt Hardwick didn't take a pay cut in his last deal and stayed on the same money he was on previously, which cost us staff and pissed a few people off.

I'm not knocking him for doing it, I always think everyone should take the money, I reckon Dustin should have gone to North. Hardwick has three flags next to his name and will never have a better chance to earn in his life and that opportunity has been dented by Covid anyway, so he should take every penny he can.
Thats OK, I think you are wrong & there is NO WAY you can tell me without doubt

Reactions: 1 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
I'm not knocking him for doing it, I always think everyone should take the money, I reckon Dustin should have gone to North.

As a Richmond supporter you still think that Dustin should have gone to North? Was the difference in offers really that big?

Had he gone to North you can remove 2 of his Norm Smiths and 2 of his premierships medals, which would therefore not have him held in such esteem as he is now, therefore reducing the amount of off field endorsements in both number and value.

Reactions: 1 users

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020

pretty sure i remember it & soft cap repercussions being discussed here at some time.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Sounds like the May scuffle was full on. Busted up the reception desk, Melksham decked him completely it’s being reported. Heh heh heh….one of them wouldn’t share the caviar I reckon.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Sounds like the May scuffle was full on. Busted up the reception desk, Melksham decked him completely it’s being reported. Heh heh heh….one of them wouldn’t share the caviar I reckon.
As usual, Richmond benchmark. Mince comparing this to our off-field issues in 2020 where we either busted or stuck fat to win a flag.

T-Shirt Tommy

Apr 11, 2011
As usual, Richmond benchmark. Mince comparing this to our off-field issues in 2020 where we either busted or stuck fat to win a flag.

Did Mince question why Melbourne hasn't been fined 20k like we were with Shai and Drioli?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Mince is too concerned with trying to blow off the unannounced, secretive change to the dissent rule.

He spent weeks defending the AFL when it was introduced and their insane application of it, and now, with the brush of a 5 second comment the AFL have ….no surprise….got it right ….again.

Complete suck of a guy.

Reactions: 5 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Thats OK, I think you are wrong & there is NO WAY you can tell me without doubt

Wrong in what sense, you think he took a pay cut?

As a Richmond supporter you still think that Dustin should have gone to North? Was the difference in offers really that big?

Not as a supporter but as a pragmatic person I say take the money every chance you can to everyone. He probably left 2 million dollars on the table which anyone worth their salt will have turned into 10 by the time his contract is finished. Not sure he would have any more or less endorsement either.

I understand people will talk passionately about the value of success and loyalty and all that other stuff and that's all valid but I think it's easy to do about someone else's life and none of that stuff makes you and your family secure for the next 5 generations.

taztiger4

Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Wrong in what sense, you think he took a pay cut?

Not as a supporter but as a pragmatic person I say take the money every chance you can to everyone. He probably left 2 million dollars on the table which anyone worth their salt will have turned into 10 by the time his contract is finished. Not sure he would have any more or less endorsement either.

I understand people will talk passionately about the value of success and loyalty and all that other stuff and that's all valid but I think it's easy to do about someone else's life and none of that stuff makes you and your family secure for the next 5 generations.
Yes I think he took a paycut proportional to other assistants etc.

T-Shirt Tommy

Apr 11, 2011
Not sure he would have any more or less endorsement either.

Can't agree with you here.

Norm Smith medalist and 1 time premiership playing for North, or 3 time Norm Smith and 3 time premiership playing for Richmond. Much more bargaining power and appeal with the 2nd resume IMO.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Can't agree with you here.

Norm Smith medalist and 1 time premiership playing for North, or 3 time Norm Smith and 3 time premiership playing for Richmond. Much more bargaining power and appeal with the 2nd resume IMO.

Not sure about that, I think his marketability is about his image and the way he plays footy. Kids love him no matter who he plays for and what he does.

When you look at it, all his big deals were done in 2017 before he signed. Bonds, Puma and a book deal were all done then and they are his biggest money spinners by far. Since then he's only really picked up minor stuff with Archie's, Voost and whatever watches he wears now.

It's always pretty telling in endorsements whether the athlete appears in uniform or not. Tells you whether they have transcended the sport as a brand or not. Have a look at a Dangerfield ad for Ultivite vs Dustin flogging Voost for example.

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
I must admit I am more than a little surprised that the AFL hasn’t come out and said something or launched their own investigation on the May v Melksham UFC bout. The article in today’s H/S was pretty uncomplimentary to May, in what he said, how it started and we know the Restaurant owners and staff were filthy on the whole thing. That suggests to me that Melbourne haven’t been real thorough. They didn’t think it was necessary to contact the restaurant where their players were brawling?

May gets a week for slagging off a teammate who got injured last year and missed the final. And kept going with the insults. Pretty apparent who was at fault. Gets a week suspension and a smack from a teammate. Melksham also gets a week who stood up for others and himself. Plus Melksham got Community work as well. Did May? Sounds like Melksham must have cut his hand on May’s teeth as he got an infected hand for his trouble.

Would have thought terms like “bringing the game into disrepute”, “conduct unbecoming” could be being heard from AFL house.

We don’t want to turn into that NRL farce do we?

I know who I would prefer to have at my club. Bolton who “stands up” for a teammates wife and cops $20k for his support or a big mouth who can’t handle his grog, who thinks he is the big kid on the block bullying teammates. Bullying the bloke who organised the dinner…..

Glad Steven May did not come to the RFC.

Reactions: 4 users