Opposition discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Opposition discussion

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Can only put it down to them being Western Australian & it doesn't sell media in Victoria.
Eagles dont mind snatching it when it goes against them

Most of this side have a Premiership medal and have been somewhat sated since.

20 and 21 they just snatched it when it got hard, and theyve completely thrown the season in the bin with convenient excuses given to them with the Rona Raping they started the season with.

That allows them to tank without question or exception.

Dont be surprised to see them snatch the year and then apply for special priority draft pick because Rona ruined their season.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Eagles dont mind snatching it when it goes against them

20 and 21 they just snatched it when it got hard, and theyve completely thrown the season in the bin with convenient excuses given to them with the Rona Raping they started the season with.

That allows them to tank without question or exception.

Dont be surprised to see them snatch the year and then apply for special priority draft pick because Rona ruined their season.
Haaarrrrgggh!
Reckon that's about as big a sledge as you could drop on an entire footy club craigybabes. Well done cocko, should be in the golds.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
From Caroline,s article in the age.
An indication that Bevo has spat the dummy big time. Again.
Reckon the doggies have got to move him on for all concerned....

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge, another vocal critic of the soft-cap cuts, actually quit the association 18 months ago. At the AFL season launch Beveridge departed immediately after receiving his life membership and refused to attend the meeting between the 18 club coaches and the AFL the following day.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
From Caroline,s article in the age.
An indication that Bevo has spat the dummy big time. Again.
Reckon the doggies have got to move him on for all concerned....

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge, another vocal critic of the soft-cap cuts, actually quit the association 18 months ago. At the AFL season launch Beveridge departed immediately after receiving his life membership and refused to attend the meeting between the 18 club coaches and the AFL the following day.
Dimma wasn't happy with the soft cap today in his presser either. Pressure on coaching groups starting to tell..

Reactions: 3 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Dimma wasn't happy with the soft cap today in his presser either. Pressure on coaching groups starting to tell..

The soft cap cuts are really poor and I can't make sense of them. Everyone else is back on previous terms it seems, although perhaos a few jobs haven't been refilled in admin.

By my count the soft cap cut is saving $54 million which would seem stuff all in the scheme of things. Hard not to think it is the AFL carrying on from the Demetriou era dislike of sports science and trying to control it.

Reactions: 2 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
The soft cap cuts are really poor and I can't make sense of them. Everyone else is back on previous terms it seems, although perhaos a few jobs haven't been refilled in admin.

By my count the soft cap cut is saving $54 million which would seem stuff all in the scheme of things. Hard not to think it is the AFL carrying on from the Demetriou era dislike of sports science and trying to control it.
Saw that, TBR. Dimma seemed to say that the soft cap restrictions hurt successful (big?) clubs and advantaged smaller clubs, which had a flow on negative impact on players at the successful clubs. Didn't really follow what he was saying.

Was he saying that if you have a successful club then you have to pay your coaching staff more which puts more pressure on the soft cap forcing those clubs to sack/not re-contract coaching staff because they are collectively too expensive? Equalisation by stealth?

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Saw that, TBR. Dimma seemed to say that the soft cap restrictions hurt successful (big?) clubs and advantaged smaller clubs, which had a flow on negative impact on players at the successful clubs. Didn't really follow what he was saying.

Was he saying that if you have a successful club then you have to pay your coaching staff more which puts more pressure on the soft cap forcing those clubs to sack/not re-contract coaching staff because they are collectively too expensive? Equalisation by stealth?

Yeah, I think he's meaning success inflates wages, so his wage and other off-field people from our dynasty are highly paid which gives our players less resources than clubs where the coach etc haven't earned big money yet.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

The other point is you end up losing people, not on merit but on circumstance.

For example, I stood down nine months into a three year contract because I could afford to whereas other staff would have suffered more financially. I suspect we were in the exactly the same boat with Leppitsch.

Not sure we want the situation as an industry where roles are determined by who can afford to be redundant, rather than merit.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I see Sheeds is performing his ole "look over there" tactic again. Carping on about the supplements saga, Arsendon were mis-treated blah blah blah....

Nobody's falling for that Sheeds.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
My take is a concerted pressure game to draw it to a result.
Article by Caro, coaches speaking about in the media.
No doubt coaches and clubs not happy, they want it resolved before McLaughlin leaves

And at least Dimma hasn't thrown a dummy spit like Bevo

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah, I think he's meaning success inflates wages, so his wage and other off-field people from our dynasty are highly paid which gives our players less resources than clubs where the coach etc haven't earned big money yet.

I think the soft cap restrictions was one of the reasons we lost folks like Leppa, Rob Innes etc.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Clearly Glen Bartlett leaking info to Mick Warner

Think there's a some legal action on at the moment so the texts might have been produced as part of evidence.

I think the soft cap restrictions was one of the reasons we lost folks like Leppa, Rob Innes etc.

No doubt and it's a harsh thing to say because it is just circumstances, but the main reason for that is Hardwick's wages. He signed an extension for the same money, but when you take into account the 3 million dollar cut to the soft cap, as a percentage of spending on coaches it was an enormous increase.

Very different approach to 2018 when he left money on the table to help the cap, or Chris Scott not being paid for 6 months to keep staff.

Full bellies.