Opposition discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Opposition discussion

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I've often thought Carlton were paying way overs for flankers, seemed a bit strange as you need the cap space for forwards, defenders, on ballers and the like.

DS
They seem to be much better balanced now. Will be interesting to see them this year

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
They seem to be much better balanced now. Will be interesting to see them this year

They do, and Carlton should improve and make finals, but with all those well paid flankers they must either have some back ended contracts or brown paper bags because there are a lot of players there who seem to be on very good coin.

DS

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
They do, and Carlton should improve and make finals, but with all those well paid flankers they must either have some back ended contracts or brown paper bags because there are a lot of players there who seem to be on very good coin.

DS
We have a lot of players on very good coin too.
I dont think there is anything suspicious.
Without team success there wouldnt be many drafted blues with big payrises (likely to change tho).

Just think of Carltons midfield - Cripps$$$, Walsh (junior so lower $) matt kennedy Newnes and then last year Cerra Hewitt

Not in the same pay bracket as 2018-2020 Cotch Prestia Shedda and Duz

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Think it's just the reality of football.

When you are down you have to spend more money on lesser players because that's the only way you get people in to build your list.
They over paid on Williams cos they thought he would be a midfielder based on little evidence.
They over paid Martin cos they tried to out smart the Suns, and others, by getting him in the PSD rather than trading for him- he then put a big $$$ amount on his head so other teams wouldnt touch him.

I think their list manager at the time thought he could out-smart everyone else.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Someone said Markov might be going to Cartoon.
That was just a line from the HUN noting that since Williams is out for the season and the experienced Markov is training at Collingwood and available as an SSP that…..

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
That was just a line from the HUN noting that since Williams is out for the season and the experienced Markov is training at Collingwood and available as an SSP that…..
Considering his price and skillset not a bad pick up for them

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Think it's just the reality of football.

When you are down you have to spend more money on lesser players because that's the only way you get people in to build your list.
It's the degree you overpay and then you need to have people at your club who go "nop, price too high."

The only one I think we overplayed is Yarran. Grigg and Holui were promised game time, they are the list builders you want. You never make your list off the back of free agents, you draft your core, build a list and then add the pieces that are hard to get like key forwards or gun onballers. Williams and Martin were neither.

Two rules of list building that never steer you wrong;
1) Flankers don't become mids
2) Don't overpay B graders at other clubs and expect them to become A graders at yours.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

DS

I think Carlton will push for top 4 unfortunately. They have a very well-balanced squad. If they go on to win a flag in the coming years, they will look at 2022 as the learning curve/tipping point they had to suffer through to build their resilience.

Two rules of list building that never steer you wrong;
1) Flankers don't become mids
2) Don't overpay B graders at other clubs and expect them to become A graders at yours.

What did you think of Bachar Houli when we recruited him? Did you think he was AA material?

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
They over paid on Williams cos they thought he would be a midfielder based on little evidence.

Yeah, Williams played a great game as a midfielder in the 2019 prelim against the Pies which was enough to convince many that he was a midfielder that was squeezed out of the rotation by the glut of onballers the Giants had.

Turned out to be a false prophecy.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
What did you think of Bachar Houli when we recruited him? Did you think he was AA material?
Not at all. And I don't think the club did either. They weren't looking for a AA, they were rightly looking for core footballers, and players to improve the group. Players 8-15 in your starting 18.

But we didn't pay him to be AA. We paid him a fair price and offered him game time as a back flanker. You will strike gold sticking to the rules I stated but it's not the norm.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Tommy's Browneye was burbling the same possible scenario on 7 news tonight. Maybe he gets all his exclusive goss by reading the Murdochracy first thing in the morning.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

DS
Double post.
I liked it so much I reposted it

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We have a lot of players on very good coin too.
I don't think there is anything suspicious.
Without team success there wouldn't be many drafted blues with big pay rises (likely to change tho).

Just think of Carlton's midfield - Cripps$$$, Walsh (junior so lower $) matt kennedy Newnes and then last year Cerra Hewitt

Not in the same pay bracket as 2018-2020 Cotch Prestia Shedda and Duz

I am not particularly suspicious, but I still reckon they have overpaid for flankers, and that has to hurt elsewhere.

We'll see what happens, they should have made finals last year, if they don't make it this year then that is a massive fail.

DS

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Zac Williams has done his ACL apparently gone for the year.

Baggers have picked up two significant injuries, with Walsh also going to miss the first month allegedly.

Hasn't had a good run since joining the Blues has Zac.
He is getting paid $850k a year and will have played roughly 20 games in 3 years
following the McGovern model

• Haha

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
The contract talk for the next contract must be depressing.

At least for mcgovern it would be a short chat
6 year contract and he is only 1/3 rd in at 28 years of age there wont be another contract for Williams

hopefully McNuggets has a great year and gets another big contract from them before going back to his crap self again in 2024

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
6 year contract and he is only 1/3 rd in at 28 years of age there wont be another contract for Williams

hopefully McNuggets has a great year and gets another big contract from them before going back to his crap self again in 2024
I guess age becomes a factor for Williams. He'll take 2 years to return to his best, by which time he'll be 30. And on the way to losing the zip that elevated him.
Going to need a very disciplined recovery, lets see what he has in him.

On mcgov im plumping for a real middling season. Maybe 12 games with a couple of decent showings against gold coast and the dogs.
Making it a wasted trade but not clear what to do next