Opposition discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Opposition discussion

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Said this before, but I'm not sold on Ugle-Hagan yet. Very much a one trick lead up player at this very early stage. Lot of talent for sure, but, dunno.....need some convincing about this kid.

Heard a Dogs supporter ring up this morning and say that Dogs fans and the media going on about him playing seniors are crazy - that he's a mile off. He kicked 5 in that GWS VFL game but a few of those were Joe the Goose types.

There's going to be all kinds of unusual results from last year's pandemic draft in hindsight. Purely from Ugle-Hagan's highlights package, he has a bit of the Cleve Hughes about him. Runs in a straight line, jumps without pressure, and takes easy marks (albeit at its highest point). In that 3 minutes of footage he was one dimensional, had low intensity, and did a handlebars celebration after kicking a cheap goal out the back... not that I'd ever write a player off based on 3 minutes of highlights.

Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
From today's HS: "Interesting alleged directive from an AFL club said to have banned its players from appearing on Channel 9’s The Sunday Footy Show. The reason given? The total lack of female commentators on the show. Not everyone is happy."

Gotta hand it to the Melbourne female president. Her attitude has brought out the best in all women at the club.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
There's going to be all kinds of unusual results from last year's pandemic draft in hindsight. Purely from Ugle-Hagan's highlights package, he has a bit of the Cleve Hughes about him. Runs in a straight line, jumps without pressure, and takes easy marks (albeit at its highest point). In that 3 minutes of footage he was one dimensional, had low intensity, and did a handlebars celebration after kicking a cheap goal out the back... not that I'd ever write a player off based on 3 minutes of highlights.

Plus, one of the issues with the different rules in the VFL is that there is a lot more space in VFL games with the limits on players in various parts of the ground at stoppages. Those playing in the VFL are being done a disservice and will get a shock when they go to play AFL.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Plus, one of the issues with the different rules in the VFL is that there is a lot more space in VFL games with the limits on players in various parts of the ground at stoppages. Those playing in the VFL are being done a disservice and will get a shock when they go to play AFL.

DS
It is *smile* ridiculous that in Australia's premier professional team sport that the second string comp, which is a feeder and development league for the main comp, plays under significantly different rules. And the rules specifically change game play. If it was a different interchange restriction, or more/lass players on the bench, or similar then fine I suppose. But game fundamentals such as turning it into Netball is *smile* stupid. Dumbarse *smile*!

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Oh no. It's Copybourne. The club's flying, Pettracca's flying and gets offered a 7 year deal.......now where did I hear that before?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

DS
Wasn't there something in the media a couple of weeks back where S.Hocking n his cronies in suits at H.Q. were changing the rules back to normal AFL standard because their / his great idea about different rules for the same game was completely unworkable.?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Wasn't there something in the media a couple of weeks back where S.Hocking n his cronies in suits at H.Q. were changing the rules back to normal AFL standard because their / his great idea about different rules for the same game was completely unworkable.?

I think they were copping s*** for it but I haven't heard they are going to change the VFL rules.

Be afraid, be very afraid, those morons want to implement it in the AFL, not remove it from the VFL.

DS

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Oh no. It's Copybourne. The club's flying, Pettracca's flying and gets offered a 7 year deal.......now where did I hear that before?
Petracca is a gun & playing great footy currently. Still 7 years is a big punt by the Dees on the face of it. However if as predicted it becomes easier for clubs to trade players against their will, then perhaps not such a bad move by the Dees.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Petracca is a gun & playing great footy currently. Still 7 years is a big punt by the Dees on the face of it. However if as predicted it becomes easier for clubs to trade players against their will, then perhaps not such a bad move by the Dees.

Agree, he's not at Martin levels but he's a talent they should lock in. godeez

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

No one can compare to Martin though. The only player in the AFL showing Martin like potential is Shai Bolton.

• Love

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
He”s yet to be tested in a big game but has all the tools. Dangerfield has all the physical tools but has some big game demons to deal with.

it’s unlikely anyone in the current era will get the opportunity to match dustys big game level.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It’s a great question - Petracca or Bolton?
It's tough. On exposed form I'd say Bolton's ceiling is higher. But then it all comes down to pure luck anyway so toss a coin.

• Haha

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
It's tough. On exposed form I'd say Bolton's ceiling is higher. But then it all comes down to pure luck anyway so toss a coin.
Petracca was drafted in 2014, two years ahead of Bolton. Bolton also did not play much seniors in 2015.
Petracca has had one and a half exceptional years and the years previous were mediocre . I cannot help thinking that 7 years is a stretch and it will bite the Dees at some time. Bolton on the other hand is still just 22(?) and will only get better from here as he is clearly showing. Every year he has improved. It’s no sudden rise like Petracca.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Petracca was drafted in 2014, two years ahead of Bolton. Bolton also did not play much seniors in 2015.
Petracca has had one and a half exceptional years and the years previous were mediocre . I cannot help thinking that 7 years is a stretch and it will bite the Dees at some time. Bolton on the other hand is still just 22(?) and will only get better from here as he is clearly showing. Every year he has improved. It’s no sudden rise like Petracca.
Yep.
Could be that Peetracca ends up an extremely good player. Looks to have had a fair few issues actually getting to the professional levels required to make the most of his abilities, but the last season and a half show that he's capable of performing to the level consistently. Now he's got to prove he can maintain the effort with the fat contract snug in his back pocket.

Shai certainly just keeps stepping up to the level month after month and crazily enough is still young and inexperienced enough to still have more development in him. Completely different type of player to Dusty, Peetracca n the Gooey one ( for all his hype n shekels reckon he's been seriously disappointing ).
Shai plays with dancing finesse, silky skills n balance.
Dusty with a combination of power, finesse, balance and unbelievable game vision.
Peetracca with explosive power n finishing capabilities, seems to have finally married the professional fitness n work ethic to match his natural abilities.
Gooey, phhhht. Plays typical of most Colonwood superstars. Like a 6 litre V8 with a dodgy set of plug leads. One minute running at red line n brutalizing the game, next minute coughing, spluttering n farting limping along in second gear n hoping to find somewhere out of the way to park.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Melbourne are the real deal IMO, they're nothing like Collingwood's copycat version of us. Melbourne also bullied us and out-alpha'd us, which I hate to say.

And as for Petracca... well even Dusty wasn't Dusty yet in 2017. He had no credentials.

I won't forget the opposition disrespect towards us (and Dusty) during 2017. Melbourne are every bit as worthy of respect now as we were in 2017. The major difference with us is we're not arrogant like the Adelaide Crows were.