Opposition discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Opposition discussion

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Youve been hanging around Nobet Pays too much. Very disconcerting.
$5 was massive overs - as the current $3.75 ($2.50 with some) now shows. That's smart betting. (When Norf, who won't win the spoon, are $2.75 for the spoon, most teams are overs.) I've also specked GWS at $15 and Adelaide at $18. I'm pretty happy with my position in the market.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
$5 was massive overs - as the current $3.75 ($2.50 with some) now shows. That's smart betting. (When Norf, who won't win the spoon, are $2.75 for the spoon, most teams are overs.) I've also specked GWS at $15 and Adelaide at $18. I'm pretty happy with my position in the market.
The strength of that is gonna be tested early when Hawthorn play Norf in the 3rd round.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
A few people on PRE don't rate a Richmond B&F winner in a Premiership Year!! :censored:

Mackenzie - 24 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackle,s 1 goal, 4 clearances, 487 metres gained, 2 goal assists from 73% game time.
C Mac, Josh Ward, Newcombe, MacDonald will be pretty good when they get that 100 game mark under their belts :eyes
Which one of them will be playing that 100th game for the RFC after we pinch them before Hawks get FS rights ;)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Current Premiership favourite Melbourne is working an historic gambit this year - two strike rucks.

They will be on the park at the same time for maybe 40 minutes a game.

We're thinking Grundy will sneak forward and Gawn will push back into the hole when both are on. But early days.

Lots to talk about here.

Gawn is the premier ruck. Grundy #2. But both play #1 ruck. Having the 1 and 2 strike rucks in the game has never happened in modern times.

Melbourne rely on controlling grass at stoppage. With Gawn and Grundy they can guarantee this. In a way that has never been done before.

Gawn is nothing special near goal. (31 last December.) And Grundy has confidence issues and is more shrewd than bold. Nice pairing.

Axiom #14 of football - nobody has a #2 ruck who can ruck. Gawn or Grundy will destroy whoever rucks #2 for the other side.

This ruck strength of Melbourne's comes at a cost. For example, if Melbourne controls the grass at stoppage (inevitably) only Petracca or Oliver can hurt you. There are ways of handling this. And if they play two rucks onfield there must be opportunities to run off them.

Smart coaches will look at ways of testing this unprecedented tactic. Meanwhile - Bravo Melbourne.

Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
It's
Nice Jack hence Soldo plays tomorrow against what we've trained for all summer (Miller). Forced change. It's a challenge.
Miller has been played all over the park, Oldsmobile Toronado. So he's being developed. (Compare to Noah Balta who has left the development programme and is now in set position.)

I think Samson Ryan may get a test. (It won't take long.) Toby is a very strong cruiserweight. That's what Miller might be. Ryan can be a dinosaur, like Gawn and Grundy. Can he be as good? Who knows? Can he nullify one of them in a practice game? Interesting question.

This practice game is a nice little laboratory for our coach. It won't take long. And then he'll know.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
While we're on bizarre ruck combinations we have to move to Fremantle and Sean Darcy and Luke Jackson.

As types each is a #1 strike ruck. Darcy inside and Jackson inside/outside. I have no certainty in either but as it stands I'm on Darcy to some extent and totally potting Jackson.

Darcy gets tired and goes home or has a Bex and a lie down. Then plays like Pendlebury for five minutes. He's soft. He's talented.

Jackson is energetic but dumb. Same patterns. Fabulous athlete. Can't catch. Can he learn?

This duo makes a fascinating comparison with the all-new Gawn/Grundy model.

Mr Damien Hardwick is an anti-ruck. (Noice.) Has he been outsmarted? Are rucks all the rage?

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
We know C Scott. We saw Wells.

There was another intelligence at play at Geelong in 2022. The tagger. The new tall back. That was Lyon.

Worked out pretty well.

Now C Scott is back on his own. Wells is doing what he can.

Back to Lyon, he said that Pt Adelaide tall backs (2020?) should bring a box out to stand on. He was right. Oompa Clurey. Mini McKenzie. Tom McWhalevictim. And then Port got rid of Dougall Howard (who they wrongly played forward) and persevered with battlers like their midget captain Loser Jonas. (He's a delist right now.)

Lyon gets a lot right. Has great judgement. Except when it comes to himself.

When assessing what Lyon might do next we must consider the way things might reflect on him. Not to say that that's the only thing that matters to him.

Back to football - he's a fine coach of footballness. Very fine.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
A few people on PRE don't rate a Richmond B&F winner in a Premiership Year!! :censored:

Mackenzie - 24 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackle,s 1 goal, 4 clearances, 487 metres gained, 2 goal assists from 73% game time.
C Mac, Josh Ward, Newcombe, MacDonald will be pretty good when they get that 100 game mark under their belts :eyes
Only 100 to go for Mackenzie!

• Haha

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
In their praccy GWS reverted to their overpossessing ring a rosy stat factory ways. And were far too good on the day.

But Finn Callaghan was urgent and attacked goal. What a standout. Looks a footballer.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Heh heh heh…watching footage of Stringer training. Fat…overweight….can barely run.

And they reckon Scott is bringing cultural change ? Heh heh heh….

Thinking these guys might be bottom 4.