Ottens | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ottens

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
The Richmond Football Club wishes to advise that Brad Ottens will undergo
micro-surgery today on a prolapsed disc in his back and he'll be sidelined
for 10-12 weeks. He is expected to make a full recovery and be playing again
by about Round 10.

A

admin

I read that on BigFooty Mellow.....Do you know the source? I can't find it on the net...Maybe it was on the radio.....Hopefully there's a slim chance it's been invented.

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
I've searched for the source but could'nt find anything,however RadioShark is always relaible with such info .

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Confirmed on the RFC site see below

Ottens to miss 10
12:54:47 PM Wed 12 March, 2003
Kevin Diggerson
Richmond has been rocked by a back injury to star big man Brad Ottens, that will keep him out of the
side until about round 10.

Ottens is suffering from a prolapsed disc and will undergo surgery in Melbourne on Wednesday night.

It is the latest disappointment for a player who was looking forward to bouncing back in 2003 after an ordinary season in 2002.

Not the first post as President I wanted to make   :-/

A

admin

What a bummer.....JohnF where are you? I need to learn a few new words to say how I feel about this, ha.
Get well soon Otto.
The Grand Final is more important than the first few rounds anyway.
Go Staff, Ruckman extraordinaire.
Go Tiges.

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Not much to say but it's very deflating news.Lets cross fingers and hope that staff can stay injury free during this period or else we will be vey vunurable.

B

Bones

another tall hits the deck - this time before the season starts - and with only 9 guys on list over 190 which includes A Kellaway, Gaspar and Vardy plus Holland and Hall getting over injuries - you just wonder why we have no player taller than 186cm on the rookie list - exactly the same as last year - no forward planning - when will they wake up and realise that we just always get injuries to the talls and we need back ups - what happens if Stafford goes down which has happened to him in the past - who rucks. Geelong for example has 17 players over 190cm on list - Essendon much the same

A

admin

Vulnerable, try f**cked!!! :mad:
Keep the faith young fella. ;D
All the Otto baggers from last year might see how valuable is was to our team now.
I wonder if this will fast track Jay Shulz' career at all?

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Bad luck to Ottens, does explain why his form has down lately. I hope that the club doctors know what there doing because surgery, even micro surgery on the back is very risky and has unpredictable outcomes.

**Note to RFC**
This is not to be used as an excuse for a poor year. The club has enough players to fill the void left by Ottens and If i hear anyone from the club talking about how this has upset team balance and structure there will be hell to pay.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I wonder if this will fast track Jay Shulz' career at all?

As demoralising as this news is, you are right Rosy. One door closes, another opens. See what happened last season when Mark Coughlan was given an opportunity. Hopefully others can do the same this season.

I'm not as hungry as I was before I read this thread. :'(

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Please, someone shake me and tell me this is just a horrible nightmare.

Looks like Shulz will have to step up about 5 years earlier than first thought. :'(

Just can't believe our luck atm. Now it only takes one of Gas, Dutch, Richo or Staff to go down long term and we are officially stuffed for this season.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
That's how I feel right about now Dean. But we needn't feel so dejected. I'm sure things will work out for the best. They always do.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I do think that losing Ottens will upset team balance Dean but I don't won't to hear the club bitching about team balance/structure like last year when they are 4-7 at the halfway mark of the year.

Injuries happen, its a fact of football and Brad Ottens until now has been very fortunate with injuries but eventually it was going to catch up with him. Now if the club doesn't have a back-up plan then god help them because it would be nieve of them to expect to go into every game or every season with a full list.

Maybe now Frawley will drop his game plan of scoring 80% of our goals from contested marks and try something more conventional like having forwards lead to the ball.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Please, someone shake me and tell me this is just a horrible nightmare.

Looks like Shulz will have to step up about 5 years earlier than first thought. :'(

Just can't believe our luck atm. Now it only takes one of Gas, Dutch, Richo or Staff to go down long term and we are officially stuffed for this season.

What terrible news (footy-wise) to return to after a internet free long weekend :(. What injury god did we tick off ???. Geez we deserve a bit of luck.

Feeling the same way Dean at this precise moment but one player does not make a team. We need every player now at the club to stand up and be counted. Like rosy and MC24 said one door closes and another opens and in the long term we may benefit from the experience Shultz may get from this.

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
I can't believe that lay folk like us could have seen the bleeding obvious for the last two years, i.e. that we are desperately short in the tall man dept, yet the recruiting people have done nothing about it. Surely surely surely you recruit for 3 yrs ahead, not the immediate right now?? And yet they ran around last year recruiting 'small forwards', and didn't even fix THAT position! Gaspar, Holland, Richardson and Stafford are all injury-prone these days. AK comes up week after week but only just qualifies as a tall. Vardy is a fringe player at this level, Shulz won't be ready for 2-3 seasons and Hall is merely serviceable.

Unbelievably bad planning.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Backs never heal properly, it is a fact. However, Chris Bradshaw is a top doctor and he is spot on nearlt all the time, lets hope the same applies in this case.

I am so p****** off after hearing the news, why can't we have a little bit of luck once in a while.

My thoughts now is another year in the doldrums, a year where we can give the young fellas plenty of ground time.

Tip for rd 1, Pies by 11 goals.....