Our Era | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Our Era

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I want to point out to folks, after doing some soul searching on how it all started and ended so quickly, that this ride started in 2013.

We made our first finals with the core of our club then, played finals for three years, then stank it up. We've then won 3 out of four premierships.

For our older guys, they tried and failed in finals many years in a row. We regrouped and enjoyed some absolutely scintillating moments. It might be over, but it wasn't fleeting. It's been 7 out of 8 years in finals and three flags.

This has been a *smile* great era. Remember the Richmond Man, always.

I think the 2.0 version can come back around fairly quickly.

• Love
Reactions: 24 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I want to point out to folks, after doing some soul searching on how it all started and ended so quickly, that this ride started in 2013.

We made our first finals with the core of our club then, played finals for three years, then stank it up. We've then won 3 out of four premierships.

For our older guys, they tried and failed in finals many years in a row. We regrouped and enjoyed some absolutely scintillating moments. It might be over, but it wasn't fleeting. It's been 7 out of 8 years in finals and three flags.

Brilliant perspective. We also forget, from 2013-2015 we missed out on top 4 twice by a game. So we've basically been contenders for 6/8 years. Some clubs have a run like that and are thrilled to get one flag; we got 3 and last year will go down as one of if not the hardest to win ever. The club is in as good a spot as it has ever been off field and we still have some great players with a bit of footy left to make some noise on field.

Reactions: 1 user

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Spot on General.

we had a reset year in 2016, let’s hope 2021 is one as well.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerjoe

EAT 'EM ALIVE TIGERS!
Aug 24, 2003
Melbourne
Just cannot be dissapointed or angry with anyone at the RFC.

2017-2020 will be forever etched in my mind as the greatest time of my life following the Tigers!

I am forever in their debt.

Reactions: 10 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Good posts & 100% agree. Now is the time to take stock & methodically plan how we can create the next era. With some astute recruiting & trading, we can possibly give this core 1-2 more cracks at it. But we need a recruiting off season like 2016.

Isotopes

Tiger Rookie
Aug 3, 2013
Yep... remember 2014 well just wanting to make 2 finals series in a row... and then those consecutive wins... it's been a longer ride up..

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Brilliant 4 yrs.
We played some of the best football ive seen by any club during those 4 yrs.
The memories will never be forgotten.
The players will always be remembered.

Im not angry, just sad that we couldn't beat the old codger or the sook from Geelong again.

It will be really hard seeing another club hold up the cup still believing our best 22 was still capable of slapping them

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
Falling off the cliff might just be the best outcome. With a strong draft hand, and the possibility of offloading some players with currency, we might just have the chance to rebuild with youth quite quickly to top up a solid foundation of a playing list. We need to draft quality ball users.

I hope we use the rest of this year to get games into young players and try a bold new gameplan that excites.

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Falling off the cliff might just be the best outcome. With a strong draft hand, and the possibility of offloading some players with currency, we might just have the chance to rebuild with youth quite quickly to top up a solid foundation of a playing list. We need to draft quality ball users.

I hope we use the rest of this year to get games into young players and try a bold new gameplan that excites.
Besides rookie selections
our drafting can't be trusted.
I would be happy Cerra for Baker
Cj and Geelong's first rounder for Green or Tarranto.
I would use all our picks on ball winning mids.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think we can come back from here, not in 2021 I reckon that's gone, but with a few retirements and develop a few young players we can reset with the retention of Martin, Nank, Balta, Broad, Grimes, Edwards, Pickett, KMac, Lynch, Baker, Vlastuin, et al - basically all the premiership heroes who have at least a couple of years left. Another year out of Riewoldt. Add in some youngsters and we should still be competitive.

But the real question is: how do we recruit while retaining the good players coming up like CJ, RCD, Mansell, Ralphsmith et al so we can stay in the finals for years to come?

Some of this is staffing, hopefully the soft cap will increase again. Some is facilities, get Punt Rd redeveloped. A lot of it is recruiting.

But the trick now will be to stay strong. We want to avoid falling too low and be contenders maybe 3 out of every 5 years into the future. We are a big club with a huge membership, this should be possible. Winning 3 flags and then sinking for 10 years plus should not be acceptable.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Too early to call. Next year will tell us if our era is over.

I chose to believe it's our rhythm.
Win one
Miss out
Win two
Miss out
Win three
AFL cancel the League because they just can't stop us.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Agree, the era started in 2013 and in hindsight 2016 was an aberration. We’ve been up for 8 years but its (sadly) come to an end.

We need to be cautious about pursing a quick rebound. Brisbane, Hawthorn and even Geelong tried topping up to prolong their dynasty and none of them succeeded. In the case of Brisbane and Hawthorn they set themselves back a decade. Geelong, on the surface, look better but their finals record over the last decade shows otherwise.

It’s going to get worse before it starts getting better.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
We reset after 2016. We had a good hard long look at ourselves. Made some hard decisions. The same deep introspection is required this year. I expect players who were going to play on, will need to retire. Players who want over the odds dollars will need to be traded. We definitely need a new injection of coaching talent.

This will be our most critical off season since 2016 - where we got it right and won three premierships, rather than after 1982, where we got it horribly wrong and had 35 years of misery.

Over to you Peggy and Benny.

Reactions: 2 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I wouldn’t go too early our run is over , but there are worrying signs ,

If I had to predict the future , I would probably say the run of premierships is over but there will be more finals appearances,

But I would obviously want to be wrong about the first part

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I’m not sure how you can call 2013-2016 as part of “our era”, we didn’t even win a final in those 4 seasons.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006

15 finals games over that period for 10 wins as well

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Run? This is one of the most successful sides ever full stop. Forget the who is the best debates. We are in the club! Savour it, it was never gonna last forever, and we might regroup a lot sooner than many think.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I’m not sure how you can call 2013-2016 as part of “our era”, we didn’t even win a final in those 4 seasons.
Part of the journey, tim. Those heartbreaks and failures steeled us for success.

Now: 2.0.
Can we win another one in the next few years?
We still have Dusty.
We don't want a Hawthorneseque top-up. A Poortesque injection of top-line young talent would go a long way. If we turn this year's significant draft hand into the equivalent of Rozee, Butters and Duursma, with perhaps a Georgiades in there too, we can bounce quickly.
Internal improvement? Dow, Stack, MoJu maybe. Mansell. Nank and Soldo fit would bloody help. An experienced mid import perhaps.
A few in terminal decline. That's attrition. Everybody's tired - telling the difference will be crucial.

Grimes Balta Broad
Baker Vlastuin Stack
Sheds Dusty Lambert
Rozee* Lynch Butters*
MoJu Jack Cotch
Nank Dion Shai
(From) Pickett Parker Soldo Duursma* Dow RCD Mansell

That could win the 2022 flag.