Our new Coach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Our new Coach

JB

Tiger Cub
Jul 15, 2003
Hey, I'm as unhappy about Danny's preformance than anyone but I just couldn't handle another untried coach. Surely Wallace is the only alternative at the moment. To change to another "first timer" is no different than rolling the dice, and just hope it works.

The problem we have had at Richmond is that we need a coach that will be prepared to make the tough decisions and punish the players that wont play to a game plan. For that you need experience and instant respect.
???

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The kangaroos made a miraculous comeback today against the saints being some 9-10 goals down, yet lost by 5 points. After the game Laidley called all his players into the middle of the ground and gave them a massive spray.

I wonder what frawely would have done in a similar situation - "Yeah nah look it was a great effort to get back into the game and make a contest. Credit has to go to the boys for this I would have thought"

mongrel_punt

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Mar 4, 2003
Hawthorn
We need more than a tough coach. We need a 'footy Smart' coach.

Someone who would realise that when 'Rodan' was dominating for the first ten minutes of the game in the middle making clearances, that he should stay there rather than playing him in a foward/back pocket for the rest of the game.

A coach that would be pro-active tather than reactive.

A coach he wouldn't persist on a guy (ben holland) who is coming back from a knee reco to play at CHB and a continually gets flogged. Plus not realise that the same player has more worth in the forward line.

A coach that will mix things up a little and at least try McGrath.

A coach that wouldn't accept washed up players such as Hudson, Sziller and co.

A coach that understands what it takes to play offensive as well as defensive football.

That is all.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
mongrel_punt said:

Someone who would realise that when 'Rodan' was dominating for the first ten minutes of the game in the middle making clearances, that he should stay there rather than playing him in a foward/back pocket for the rest of the game.

A coach he wouldn't persist on a guy (ben holland) who is coming back from a knee reco to play at CHB and a continually gets flogged. Plus not realise that the same player has more worth in the forward line.

A coach that understands what it takes to play offensive as well as defensive football.

That is all.

That enough. Summed it up perfectly MP.

Congratulations on your upcoming 100th imformative Post.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
At least with Hawthorn playing with bit of spirit and knocking on the door of the 8, SCHWABB maybe safe for another year.

Hopefully another team out of the hunt for WALLACE. Doubt he would go to St.kilda as that would be putting himself back in the situation he left at Doggy land. Although he probably wouldn't mind taking on their list.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Tony Shaw, Tim Watson, Robert Walls, Gary Buckenara, Peter Knights, Wayne Schimlebush etc. would all be better options than Fraudly. ;D

The dogs, carlton, geelong, saints, and probably hawthorn will not sack their coaches come year end. The only team that might is probably Melbourne (besides us). This would leave the likes of Wallace and Eade and a whole heap of experienced assistants available. We'd be in a position to choose who we'd like. At the end of the year would be the perfect time to sack frawely, otherwise come next year we might have some competition.

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
mongrel_punt said:

That is all.

Here here mongrel - you are a breath of fresh air.

I think we give Wallace a 1 year deal - then go hammer and tong in trying to snub Lethal Leigh Mathews. Apparently his contract is up at the end of 2004 where a return to Melbourne would be very likely. If he was interested in coaching again, and Schwab has a decent year at the Hawks, I think his only option would be to come to Richmond.

Plus he would rip Joel Bowdens little kahoonies off and pack them in his bag with the rest of his s@#t and punch him to another club in a second.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Is Danny Frawley the matter with this footy club, or is this footy club the matter with Danny Frawley?

Probably a bit of both, because our issues are plenty old.

However, given the experience and knowledge Danny is now surrounded with, we are seemingly no better off than before. That is a real concern. But the kind of change we need cannot take place over night - no matter who is the coach.

It matters not to me who is coach, but it matters to me that he lives in the real world.

I don't understand some of the things that are going on at our Club. Some of them just don't add up. I just hope the right people do the right thing by the Club.

We all want a 'super' coach, someone who will come in and solve all our problems.

The chance of us getting one of those is remote, at best.

Let's live in dream world for a moment and imagine that a 'super' coach came to Richmond. One of the first things he would do would be to rid us of the selfish and individual environment that sabotages and prevents the possibility of us achieving any amount of progress and success.

He would do this because he would know the futility of it all if he did not.

And unless he does, he knows that nothing else he implements, puts in to place, does or says can have the impact that it would otherwise have if team unity/spirit exists.

Think of a champion team. Imagine them at their best. In all likelihood, they could have and probably did, at times have players playing out of position. But, on their day, they could still beat the majority of the competition.

Why? Because they have what it takes to succeed. They have commitment, unity, the will to win, the desire and most of all they have spirit - and team spirit at that.

That allows them to overcome all challenges and hurdles that come their way. As a united force, they overcome seemingly overwhelming odds.

What have we got? Very little of any of that. And some of us fear that any we do have may be lost over time, if we allow this environment to continue.

Instead of seeing where our real problems lie, we persist with moving deck chairs on the sinking Titanic. Knowing full well all is lost, but hoping our problems will all be over with the next move we make. As if blind to the reality that hits us in the face, time after time, we muddle on.

Perhaps the biggest difference between the 'super' coaches and others is the awareness they have of what is going on around them. What then separates them even further is the courage to do what is necessary to bring about positive change.

Change will continue to take place at our Club, just not quick enough for us all.

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
I would like to coach Richmond.......

I would love to coach Richmond.......

The boys need a good talking too, they are pathetic at present.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Captain Blood said:
So despite the fact the ship gets more run down every year under the captain, and despite him not getting good results from his crew, and despite him heading the Titanic head first into an iceberg that will sink it, we should just leave the deck chairs sitting there prettily waiting for the ship to go down because they don't want to admit the captain they chose to guide the ship isn't capable of commanding the crew or getting it to it's destination with passengers in tact?

That's exactly my frustration Captain Blood. That nothing is being seen to be done that can make a difference to the direction we're heading in.

What I'm saying is, we can't or don't want to see the real problems, so what is the use of moving deck chairs when that is not going to save anyone? We seem to be oblivious to what is going on, so the inevitable will happen, regardless of any of the moves we make.

The only way to change our course, is to see the 'real' problems, whatever they may be, and implement the necessary solutions, whatever they may be.

If there is only one man steering this ship CB, what are all the other crew members doing? Going along for the cruise?

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
MC24 said:
The only way to change our course, is to see the 'real' problems, whatever they may be, and implement the necessary solutions, whatever they may be.

If there is only one man steering this ship CB, what are all the other crew members doing? Going along for the cruise?

How easy it was for everyone to throw their hands in the air and say it is the Captain that caused the Titanic to sink. Isn't one of the reason the Titanic sunk because everyone was quite content to believe that it was "unsinkable" and with that they turned a blind eye to its faults and shortcomings? Who's fault was that? Surely not just the Captains. What about the crew, the builders, the owners?

For 20 years we have blamed the Captain (and more often than not the Captain has been pushed overboard) and it hasn't solved the problems that this Club faces. Finally, someone has said "hold on a minute there are bigger problems and lets look at all of them" but that still doesn't seem to be enough. As MC24 said we move the deck chairs around but we continue to head for that iceberg. That hasn't changed in 20 years. All that seems to change for a short time is the distance to the iceberg.

I know on the subject of Danny Frawley I am probably the lone beacon on the ocean but maybe just once a different mapped course is what is needed at Punt Road. Rather than our customary methods of "planks and the short walk".