Our Next President- Peggy O’Neal [merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Our Next President- Peggy O’Neal [merged]

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Re: Tigers split on new president

Seems to be no interest in bring back Clinton Casey.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004

Hmm!!

Politics and a divided Board again threaten to ruin the RFC.

When March announced his stepping down, one should have clearly thought that a succession plan would have already been worked out.

Now we threaten to eat ourselves from within again.

Will this club ever learn?

Hmmm!!!!

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

They are lining up to President now. Pre Gary it was the short straw.

Storm in a teacup and will be settled behind closed doors.

Two successful people wanting to be President of a club they know is going to be successful.

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003

Waaaaiiiiit just a minute.....Malcolm Speed?

The guy that was at the helm of the NBL just before it disintegrated despite before he got there it was growing nicely and was in good shape. How could he muck up a sport with such a high junior participation rate?

Oh well. I guess that might have just been bad timing and luck. Not his fault perhaps. It must have already been in decline when he got rid of 3 teams. Getting rid of those teams tore the fabric of the league apart and it hasn't recovered yet.

But hang on....the same guy who was the CEO at the ACC at a time that preceded the Australian cricket team heading into the wilderness after years as the best team in the world by a long way? Strange timing that.

Then the CEO of the ICC from 2001? ....Well, I guess international cricket hasn't lost it's way at all over the last decade (!!!!!!). Although being on paid leave until his contract ran out in 2008 out isn't exactly a glowing endorsement of someone who is rumoured to have had a falling out with the ICC president.

Maybe I'm reading the tealeaves completely wrong, but I'm not overly confident with having this barrister as our president. I'm happy to go with March's man.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

Total Tiger said:
It is believed the AFL has privately been supportive of Speed's bid, although it does not have an official say in the vote. At least one former Richmond president is also supporting Speed.

i wonder who the ex pres is. if it's casey then just go with the other option. also the afl should but out. none of their business.

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003

rosy23 said:
i wonder who the ex pres is. if it's casey then just go with the other option. also the afl should but out. none of their business.

Exactly.

We don't need any 'jobs for the boys' thanks.

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon

Both applicants seem to also have other significant roles elsewhere. I want whoever gets the job to be the best & to ensure they devote sufficient time to OUR Presidency. I don't give 2 hoots if they drop their other roles in favour of devoting the max to us.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009

jimbob said:
Both applicants seem to also have other significant roles elsewhere. I want whoever gets the job to be the best & to ensure they devote sufficient time to OUR Presidency. I don't give 2 hoots if they drop their other roles in favour of devoting the max to us.

Eddie McGuire has managed to find time to take Collingwood from the brink of bankrupcy to what it is today while still having significant roles elsewhere. It's a voluntary position.

Ty Esler

"Mark Maclure can get stuffed"
May 10, 2005

Phantom said:
Hmm!!

When March announced his stepping down, one should have clearly thought that a succession plan would have already been worked out.

Now we threaten to eat ourselves from within again.

Hmmm!!!!

Having two well-respected members of the current board put their hand up to be president is hardly Mal Brown territory.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

Phantom said:
Hmm!!

Hmmm!!!!

that's a tad melodramatic phantom. no evidence of any threat to ruin the club at all.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Mac said:

The guy that was at the helm of the NBL just before it disintegrated despite before he got there it was growing nicely and was in good shape. How could he muck up a sport with such a high junior participation rate?

Oh well. I guess that might have just been bad timing and luck. Not his fault perhaps. It must have already been in decline when he got rid of 3 teams. Getting rid of those teams tore the fabric of the league apart and it hasn't recovered yet.

But hang on....the same guy who was the CEO at the ACC at a time that preceded the Australian cricket team heading into the wilderness after years as the best team in the world by a long way? Strange timing that.

Then the CEO of the ICC from 2001? ....Well, I guess international cricket hasn't lost it's way at all over the last decade (!!!!!!). Although being on paid leave until his contract ran out in 2008 out isn't exactly a glowing endorsement of someone who is rumoured to have had a falling out with the ICC president.

You're wrong with the cricket timelines. The Aust. decline fully occurred within Sutherlands tenure and when he was with the ICC his hands were completely tied by the power wielded by the Indians.

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003

IanG said:
You're wrong with the cricket timelines. The Aust. decline fully occurred within Sutherlands tenure and when he was with the ICC his hands were completely tied by the power wielded by the Indians.

Fair enough. I'll buy that.

However he has come under critisism for his stints at both basketball and cricket boards and the way he went about some things and his inability/refusal to recognise key aspects that needed to be addressed differently that ultimately failed..

I don't know about his current role with Golf Australia.

I guess it's just a 'vibe' I'm getting

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004

Mac said:
I don't know about his current role with Golf Australia.
Have noticed that Speed seems to be the main spokesperson for the "Coalition of Major Professional and Participation Sports".
He's listed as the Executive Director.
Their member sports are the footy codes (AFL, NRL, FFA, ARU), cricket, tennis and netball.
Think this may be why the AFL is supporting him. He's already in the tent with them.
http://www.compps.com.au/

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Speed may have failed to get the BICC under control, but Eddie couldn't get the Channel Nine execs in Sydney to give him the time of day.

If Speed can deliver the type of presidency Eddie delivered to Collingwood, I'd be very happy.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD

Baloo said:
Speed may have failed to get the BICC under control, but Eddie couldn't get the Channel Nine execs in Sydney to give him the time of day.

If Speed can deliver the type of presidency Eddie delivered to Collingwood, I'd be very happy.

Do you think Mal can get a game show?

Mr Magic

The Centre of Perfection
Dec 7, 2006

Mac said:

Maybe I'm reading the tealeaves completely wrong, but I'm not overly confident with having this barrister as our president. I'm happy to go with March's man.

Thanks for your input into the discussion Maurie. How's those funds going?