Our Next President- Peggy O’Neal [merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Our Next President- Peggy O’Neal [merged]

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
Re: Tigers split on new president

Mr Magic said:
Thanks for your input into the discussion Maurie. How's those funds going?

Still a little short at the mo....care to make a donation?

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004

rosy23 said:
that's a tad melodramatic phantom. no evidence of any threat to ruin the club at all.

Total Tiger said:
Tigers split on new president - The Age

The Richmond presidential race has turned into a power struggle, with the board split over who should replace Gary March.

I think the first line, as a topic sentence, says it all.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Phantom said:

if you go through life believing media headlines and intros, it's no wonder you're so melodramatic

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003

Phantom said:

Phantom

Apart from having preference for a smoother succession plan (logical), do you have any opinion or insight into the candidates?

I sense you might :)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

Phantom said:

i don't. sensationalistic attention grabbing headline. what it boils down to is we have 2 candidates for the presidency and each have some support. i doubt the board is unanimous all of the time but they've still managed to get us out of the mire. i'm not sure why it needs to be discussed in the media at all. mountains out of molehills to sell papers.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004

Mac said:
Phantom

Apart from having preference for a smoother succession plan (logical), do you have any opinion or insight into the candidates?

I sense you might :)

I don't know a lot about the two candidates. I have met Maurice O'Shannassy a few times over the years and found him to be am amicable fellow as well as a great contributor at Board level. His expertise lies mainly with financing and corporate governance.

I haven't met Malcolm Speed as far as I can recall, and although I have been critical in the past of his tenure in charge of the ICC, I must admit that it would have been an enormously stressful job considering the changes taking place in the power bases and formats of world cricket at the time. No doubt, he did a better job than James Sutherland, although his short tenure was marked by a period of stagnation when Australian cricket was at its strongest. His tenure as CEO of the ICC is scarred by the ICC's handling of the Hans Cronje affair, which still sits uncomfortably today with many cricketers.

However, it is easier to write about and possibly criticise Malcolm Speed because he's had a bigger life story on a much larger global scale than O'Shannassy, or so I believe.

Whatever will be will be, however my fear with these kinds of issues is that it leads to long-term splits on Boards where support can be factionalised or fractured, if I termed that correctly.
It certainly has happened on the RFC Board before, Casey v Schwab was the last, which put the club at risk.

As said, the succession of the Presidency should have already been decided with all parties moving forward in the same direction, with any exceptions resigning immediately from the Board.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

Phantom said:
As said, the succession of the Presidency should have already been decided with all parties moving forward in the same direction, with any exceptions resigning immediately from the Board.

yep disappointed if that's not the case. pretty sure gary said he'd resign once it was all put in place. not going to lose sleep over this article or a bit of competition for the position just the same.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Phantom said:
Journos write articles and sub editors decide the headlines with one purpose, to get people to read the article.

Honestly why are we worrying about this. A few board members want one guy and a few the other. Big deal, they will sort it out.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006

This decision is as important as Dusty coming or going.

Costa and McGuire have shown how important a president can be, taking their clubs from mediocre to regular finals.

Hope the choose the right one and ALL get behind him.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012

Yes, this is an important decision in the future of the RFC. I would like to think that the board now comprises individuals who have as their ultimate goal the sustained success of the Club.
March, in his clam and measured way, has been a mightily steadying influence. Thanks on many levels are owed to him, as well as life membership surely.
I am confident that the board will ultimately select the best candidate for the position of President of the Richmond Football Club.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Peggy O’Neal the new Richmond president (RFC site)

Peggy O’Neal the new Richmond president
richmondfc.com.au October 3, 2013 4:54 PM

Richmond will be the first club in AFL /VFL history to have a female president after Peggy O’Neal was voted into the role at a board meeting this morning.

O’Neal has spent the past eight years on the Richmond board. She takes over from Gary March, who officially stood down as president at the Jack Dyer Medal last Monday night.

O’Neal, who was born in Virginia in the United States, has spent the past 24 years in Australia. She currently chairs the Club’s risk and compliance committee, is a member of the governance committee, and also chairs the Tigers in Community Foundation.

“It is a privilege to lead such a great football club and I look forward to working with the board and management to build on the momentum we have established in recent seasons,” O’Neal said.

“This is a strong, united board with great experience, and a number of members could have filled this role. I am honoured that the board felt I was the right person.

“After arriving in Australia, I was quickly attracted to the Richmond Football Club and all that it stood for. The Save our Skins campaign was in full swing and I could see a club with a long, proud history and great links into its community. I love the game and Richmond has been a passion of mine for more than two decades.

“It never occurred to me that I would one day be asked to serve the Club in this way. I now look forward to representing our loyal members and the broader supporter base, who are the foundation upon which this club has been built.

“We have a management team that is building a strong off-field business, and a football team that, under the guidance of Damien Hardwick, continues to improve.

“The next five years are as important as the past five years. We must keep improving, on and off the field, and the board looks forward to providing the support and guidance to ensure this happens.

“To be the first woman elected to this role, in the history of the competition, is deeply humbling, and I think it says much about the Richmond Football Club’s progressive attitude, broad commitment to diversity, and in this instance, the important role females play in the game at all levels.

“I would also like to publicly acknowledge our outgoing president Gary March, who has done a wonderful job over the past eight years.”
O’Neal, was a partner at Herbert Smith Freehills for a number of years and is presently a consultant lawyer with Lander & Rogers.

She is recognised as one of Australia’s best lawyers, was a consultant to the Federal Government’s recent Cooper Review of the superannuation system, and currently serves as a non-executive director on the boards of several financial services entities, including MLC nominees, Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation and Retails Responsible Entity Limited.

Fellow board members Maurice O’Shannassy and Malcolm Speed, who both contested the ballot for the role of president, threw their full support behind O’Neal.

O’Shannassy, who will retain the role of vice-president, said: “I’m very excited about the prospect of Peggy leading this Club and I look forward to working with her.” Speed said: “I congratulate Peggy on her appointment and wish her well.”

link http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-10-03/peggy-oneal-the-new-richmond-president

strachanie19

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 22, 2009
Re: New Prez

Sounds like a solid boardroom choice. Unlike some clubs where the Prez is the mouthpiece (e.g. Ed / Collingwood, Brayshaw / NM), Benny is our public profile.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Strange (the left field candidate rather than the fact she's female).

Go get them Peggy.

PEGGY O'NEAL
Peggy joined the board on 12 November 2005. She is presently chair of the Risk and Compliance Sub-Committee and a member of the Finance Sub-Committee. Peggy is also chair of the Tigers in Community Foundation Limited. She is a lawyer and acts as a consultant to Lander & Rogers law firm, having stepped down as a partner of Freehills in 2009. She is also on the board of a number of entities in the financial services sector and was a consultant to the federal government during its review of the superannuation system. Peggy became a fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors in 2008.

TONY FREE
Played Football.

rfc4me

Tiger Rookie
Dec 3, 2007

Congratulations to Peggy, I'm sure she will continue the good work by Gary.