Overseas fans | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Overseas fans

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
G'day all!

Got some friends overseas who, a couple of years ago had never heard of AFL even...I introduced them...and now they are Tiger fans, one even got a "long distance membership" that the club had going I think 2 years ago (does it still exist??? ???)

Another has moved out here to Australia and is now a full Tigers member with reserved seat and all!!! :)

(Do you think the club can give me a job as a "member recruitment manager" or something? ;D)

Anyway, does anyone know if any of the radio stations broadcast the footy over the internet anymore?
It was a good way of overseas fans to listen and get involved in the game, without having to pay for something they initially know nothing about.

I wonder how many Tiger members we have that are overseas and have never been to a game?

Tigers...we're going global! ;)

G'day Liverpool. Welcome to PRE. 8) :D

Sounds like you are doing some fantastic work recruiting those bathing reluctant Poms. Keep it up ;D

There is a memebership category called 'on the bench' it is 25 dollars(A) and comes with a little kit etc. This is a good option for those overseas who still want to show their support for the tigers, but won't be able to get any games.
It would suit your recruiting purposes perfectly as it is only a 10 pound investment to be a part of the team. ;D

Anyway you can check out this and other membership categories at www.richmondfc.com.au

Thanks Tigerdog!

Actually, they're not Poms....but Norwegian, Swedes, Austrian, Welsh, Scottish, and a Belgian! ;)

"On the bench"...yeah, thats the one!
I'll check and see if they still do it or not.

Costs me a bit sending over DVD's of games, but then again, they send back soccer stuff for me, so it works out fine! ;)

Welcome to PRE Liverpool :)

The AFL site had free live broadcast and stats updates for games last season. last season.  I'm pretty sure the 3aw website broadcast was live on their website as well.

When I was living inthe UK, I was able to get internet broadcasts, but that was before it came all Telstrafied.

I'm not completely certain but the afl.com.au site's video archive is n't available to IP addresses outside of Australia (copyright reasons I believe, but I'll happily stand corrected). . . which makes your job hard 'pool, but there you go.

SKYUK used to do a summary and they definately broadcast the Grand Final live on Sky as well. Just go to your local "walkabout" pub and ask.

rosy23 / TigerInaTube

Thanks for your responses!

You're right in that 3AW used to do a 'live' feed....the emails I got from my Scandinavian mates after listening to Rex Hunt were hilarious....they don't have commentators like that over there at all, trust me! ;)

Depends what country you're in I guess....when I was in Sweden, they had a 1-hour highlights package on their normal TV at about midnight or so.

Dear Craig Johnstone,

I live in Japan and can watch any AFL game on the net via the afl.com site. But you have to wait 24 hours after it's finished. Costs about 50 bucks a year. I can also get any game live via the radio station connections provided at the afl.com site. I think these audio connections are free. Only problem IMO is that the stations are commercial crap - no advertisement free ABC unfortunately. If you can pick up Radio Australia you can get the grandstand team, but they are not allowed to broadcast overseas on the net.

Yeah, I've lived in South Africa and now HK. Can always follow the Tiges via the Internet streaming radio (now free, used to have to pay). the 24 hour delay replays are worth teh AUD$50 investment if you have broadband access. I have sat in Internet cafes in London and watched replays. Good value.

Additionally ABCAsiaPacific (bless their souls) transmit 5 games every weekend acros Asia, including Japan, Singapore, HK, Indonesia and Malaysia. Most good Aussie pubs will turn it on. A maximum five or so hour delay (and as little as 30 minutes).

i wish i knew about this when i went to england!! would of been much better than sitting at the computer watching the live scorecard tick over!! so frustrating that was...

Its almost better to be OS than trying to get AFL news in Queensland (1 hr and a 100 years behind during summer). Local Prime 7 used to give about 4 games a weekend live, but with 9 & 10 its got worse. May move to Asia. :)

I can not speak highly enough of AFL.com.au's video streaming. If you have broadband access the picture is really good, and seems to get better every year.

During the off season you can watch the 1995 2nd Semi win where Knighter and Scotty dish it out (as well as other games from their back catalogue).

Can not really tell you about the radio, as the timezones don't work out for listening to the tiges win.

The On the bench membership is a great way to retain your membership status, and your right to vote.

Always listen to Friday night games from work and The Age and AFL have the scores ticking over as well as a live message posting thing, like MSN.

Yep, rapt with AFL.com.au like you New York Tiger. Its just bloody hard not to check the scores so I can "watch the game live", 24 hours after its finished, just to get that REAL TIME experience. I like watching old games, but dont seem to enjoy watching a replay if I know it wasnt a good game. I am sure for those of us in North America who dont get much in the way of our live Footy fixes, some genius will have us watching LIVE on broadband before too long! As for Liverpool, sorry mate, not much advice for your mates listening on the NET radio other than has already been posted...

I was thinking about signing up for the AFL site so that I can watch games while I'm here in the US - thanks for the endorsement NYT, and I'll go ahead and do it, even though I rue the day that Telstra took over the afl.com site. Also, like you, I was looking at those pix that one of posters kindly put on the web, and I have no idea who 3/4 of the players are (not helped by zinc creme and baseball caps either). It makes me feel very very far away from home, especially when gazing out of the office window at a few feet of snow and then looking at pix of bronzed bods under the Melbourne sun ... so some names would be great if the poster is so inclined. A question about the AFL site - is it reliable and how long after the actual game can it be viewed online?

Hey Gt,

I have read that if you have a Mac you will have problems (Telstra is associated with Microsoft (a conspiracy???). I have used both Time Warner Cable & Optimum Online and use an earlier pentium 4 and have no problems. Even when I expand to full screen the picture is reasonably clear.

Two things to consider if you have problems:
- I have to turn my firewall software off to keep it running at the pace required
- When I had a wireless router I was having problems with the picture. Disconnect the cable from the Cable modem to the Wireless router, and plug straight into the PC. Maybe if you have the newer routers this may not be a problem.

Both these issues should not discourage you, as I have had no problems with AFL.com.au once the game is available.

The games are supposed to be shown 24 hours after the actual game, and generally are, but around holidays (EG Easter) things can get a little screwy.

BTW for those of us living in Septicland AUD$50 = US$38, so to me it is a bargain...

Many thanks for your advice NYT - I'll have to cut and paste that info so that I don't lose it.

Go Toigs! said:
I was thinking about signing up for the AFL site so that I can watch games while I'm here in the US  - thanks for the endorsement NYT, and I'll go ahead and do it, even though I rue the day that Telstra took over the afl.com site.  Also, like you, I was looking at those pix that one of posters kindly put on the web, and I have no idea who 3/4 of the players are (not helped by zinc creme and baseball caps either).  It makes me feel very very far away from home, especially when gazing out of the office window at a few feet of snow and then looking at pix of bronzed bods under the Melbourne sun ... so some names would be great if the poster is so inclined.  A question about the AFL site - is it reliable and how long after the actual game can it be viewed online? 

Well Toigs there was 2 of us 50 metres from the players who couldn't make out who was who at times either!! :-[ :-[