Overseas fans | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Overseas fans

Hey New York, yep very nice up here. Bit fresh today, -23. Everything is lovely and white.... Montreal is an amazing place, but having been here for almost 2 years I reckon Quebec City has its strengths too... A bit like New York/ Boston... the same but different. Hopefully have a footy team for the summer too! Obviously looking at the Quebec Tigers as the number one option! Dont know if I have to Ok this with anyone first!? But 15 crazy French speaking locals deserve to be the French Canadian version of the mighty Tiges! Skills are bloody awful, but the tackling is amazing! Give us a bell if you wanna come up for a run! Gonna try and get down to New York and see the Jets playing now that we have a decent punter, so might see you after August!

My footy playing days are over Flea, although to play for the Tiges might be incentive enough... All they have here in NY are black & white scum, and I promised myself never to help anything black & white (especially these guys who are associated with the 'Pies)....

(Remember a Jack Dyer quote: "In the early days I couldn't watch TV, coz it was always in black & white!")

Wanted to know what the city was like (I may take the missus on a surprise trip)...

Would be good to meet up with a fellow Tige for a beer...

While we're on the subject of Canada - Halifax in Nova Scotia is another beautiful place in Canada, has a really nice casual vibe and the waterfront is great. Every Thursday night in Summer all the local bikers gather at a spot near the ferry terminal, really friendly bunch of people - actually I find Canadians to be very approachable and outgoing in general although I have heard they are a bit snobby in Montreal. I'm heading back up to Halifax next month so will see it in Winter. Highly recommend it as a spring or summer holiday destination, lots to see and do, and don't miss the chance to get the boat up to Peggy's Cove - beeyoodiful.

Geez Go Toigs, careful what you say about Quebekers! The rest of Canada could well be considered the snobs mate! Just depends who you listen to though.... I think the language barrier has alot to do with the attitude from the west of Canada. Quebekers seem to be made of the same stuff as us Aussies. Crikey I moved here and married one. The reason she got the nod was because she came to visit the farm and spent 2 months on my old mans '95 XT 250 chasing roos and bunnys! My mates who came for my wedding from Horsham couldn't believe how; A) Beautiful all the ladies were over here and B) How friendly everyone was... So don't believe the snob stuff!
New York Tiger, the best time for you to come here would be in July. Just in time for the 2 week music festival. The place is amazing and its like Moomba, Grand Prix and the Big Day Out, all rolled into one! Relaxing and enjoying life to the most. Very cool... Definately take you out for a beer too!
Sorry Liverpool to change the entire focus of your post!

When I lived in canada for a year,I found the Vancouver (where we were)chicks had the worst 'attitude.' Snobbery plus :-X
We lived with 3 Halifax guys and they were great value.
I had a long term girlfriend who was a Newfy,and boy did she cop some grief for it,more than the even the standard Tassie favorites!!
Like go Toigs,I have to commend her for her for being one of the few maitenance free females Ive met.
If I played sport all weekend and wanted to go out on binges with the boys afterwards...no problem,heres the key just come over when you finish up.
Why on earth did I leave??!!!!

struggletown3121 said:
When I lived in canada for a year,I found the Vancouver (where we were)chicks had the worst 'attitude.' Snobbery plus :-X
We lived with 3 Halifax guys and they were great value.
I had a long term girlfriend who was a Newfy,and boy did she cop some grief for it,more than the even the standard Tassie favorites!!
Like go Toigs,I have to commend her for her for being one of the few maitenance free females Ive met.
If I played sport all weekend and wanted to go out on binges with the boys afterwards...no problem,heres the key just come over when you finish up.
Why on earth did I leave??!!!!
Not enough of those women left

Go Toigs! said:
While we're on the subject of Canada - Halifax in Nova Scotia is another beautiful place in Canada, has a really nice casual vibe and the waterfront is great.  Every Thursday night in Summer all the local bikers gather at a spot near the ferry terminal, really friendly bunch of people - actually I find Canadians to be very approachable and outgoing in general although I have heard they are a bit snobby in Montreal.  I'm heading back up to Halifax next month so will see it in Winter.  Highly recommend it as a spring or summer holiday destination, lots to see and do, and don't miss the chance to get the boat up to Peggy's Cove - beeyoodiful.

I work for a company that has a factory in Nova Scotia. Spent a couple of weeks there this time last year. Would have to be the coldest place on earth. So cold that the snot in your nose would freeze. Plus everything is white, very white. Had an absolute ball, the Canadians are just fantastic and it is truly a beautifil place

You reckon Canada is cold...then you haven't been to Sweden/Norway/Finland...now THATS cold!!!! ;)

Liverpool said:
You reckon Canada is cold...then you haven't been to Sweden/Norway/Finland...now THATS cold!!!!  ;)
Correct and if theyre any colder than nova scotia in winter then im not all that keen. Me, I kind of like the 30plus degrees in Melbourne at the moment. Snow is great to play with, but I cant see myself living in it

Michael said:
Liverpool said:
You reckon Canada is cold...then you haven't been to Sweden/Norway/Finland...now THATS cold!!!!  ;)
Correct and if theyre any colder than nova scotia in winter then im not all that keen. Me, I kind of like the 30plus degrees in Melbourne at the moment.  Snow is great to play with, but I cant see myself living in it

Agree 100% there with you mate!
Its the wind-chill actually that was the killer for me...not the actual snow.
Anyway, a good experience! :)

Anyone else on here been over to Scandinavia?

Yes,I've lived in central Sweden and Canada,near the Rockies.Canada is way colder IMO.I can certainly relate to having a nose so cold the snot freezes.

However, neither of those places have anything on Alaska.I nearly lost my big toe on a trip up there.It went totally black and I still have no feeling in it from about half way up years later :-[.

evo said:
Yes,I've lived in central Sweden and Canada,near the Rockies.Canada is way colder IMO.I can certainly relate to having a nose so cold the snot freezes.

However, neither of those  places have anything on Alaska.I nearly lost my big toe on a trip up there.It went totally black and I still have no feeling in it from about half way up years later :-[.

Yeah?
Sh*t...how did it happen?
Were you mountain-climbing/hiking or something?

O.k...cool...I was around Norrkoping/Linkoping for a bit, they're rather central and a little south of Stockholm.
Its not as cold there though as up north...but still, the wind-chill was bloody freezing! :-\

Ive only been to Sweden,Norway and Denmark around 'midsummer' time and not during their freeze snaps.
Dont fancy it either as I truly hate the cold.

BTW Ottowa is the coldest capital city in the world,with a winter average of about -46 deg.....sounds wonderful doesn't it?

struggletown3121 said:
Ive only been to Sweden,Norway and Denmark around 'midsummer' time and not during their freeze snaps.
Dont fancy it either as I truly hate the cold.

BTW Ottowa is the coldest capital city in the world,with a winter average of about -46 deg.....sounds wonderful doesn't it?

Never made it down to denmark, but my sister did...what did you think of it?
And when you were in Sweden, did you try 'snus'? ;)
Shocking stuff! ;D

Yeah, I hate the cold too...so Ottawa, if I ever get over to Canada would definitely be a summer-trip!

Mate I loved 'snus'.Great stuff.All the guys I lived with and drank with were into it.We were a long way north of Stockholm.Great place Sweden.Girls were always up for a good time.

evo said:
Mate I loved 'snus'.Great stuff.All the guys I lived with and drank with were into it.We were a long way north of Stockholm.Great place Sweden.Girls were always up for a good time.

Yeah, I stayed in a few uni dorms there with mates....so snus and cider was the go.
The first time I had snus, it was the stronger stuff...you know the 'loose dirt' looking one.
Anyways had a bet with them...I'd try snus, if they tried Vegemite, and before I could explain, one of the blokes got a whole spoonful of vegemite and ate it....God!!! ;D
And I had the snus in my mouth for about...10 minutes or so, and my face must have been going a bit green (probably from all the alcohol as well!) and they were begging for me to spit it out....yeah, bloody fun times over there! ;D

And you're right...the girls there just LOVE Aussies! 8) ;D

Never tried the 'snus' although I got roped into eating herring,and wearing some ridiculous crown made of vines and other crap for their midsommer festival.
Then had to participate in a ridiculous dance around a stake in the ground with what looked like two tyres hanging off it. :-[
I loved the Swedish Danish and Norge girls,wonderful aren't they :angel:

Have been to Finland, Sweden, Norway & Denmark... Spent the most time in Finland... Went as far north as Inari (middle of Lapland) deep within the artic Circle... Lucky I was there in the middle of Summer ;D

Was in Helsinki in the middle of winter and it was freaking cold.

struggletown3121 said:

Hang on boys. The expert is here to save the day. The sun has fried some of your brains down there! 8)

You lucky buggars. While alot of you have a great degree of knowledge about footy, you should leave the "cold weather" opinions to us who permanently live in this white world.

-46 deg C average in Ottawa. No mate. The lowest recorded temp EVER in Ottawa was -35 C. The average LOW for Ottawa in January is a relatively balmy -14 C.

I have backpacked through the south of Sweden, Finland and the west of Russia during January. Cold?... yes.

I also spent a "vacation" in Anchorage in a December. 2 weeks of "cold".

Before I go further. Let me say this. For wind-chill to be taken into account for a negative temperature, usually a 60 kilometre an hour wind will take off a further 20 degrees C. to the recorded temperature and this doesn`t count on recorded levels. Most of the time when we have wind it consitutes about a drop in a further 10 degrees C. A 60 kilometre an hour wind is very strong and not common, although is does happen.

Snot freezing is nothing. A toe, now that must have been cold Evo!

I live in Quebec City. It is COLD here. This is my third FULL winter. That means waking at 6 to drive to work. Warming your car up has a whole new meaning. Car-break downs in winter are not fun. Participating in day to day life that we take for granted back home are not as fun as they are in the summer or even the winter back home! I thought footy training in Ballarat on a Thursday night in July was chilly! Now each night after work I spend 10 minutes scraping the ice and snow off my car before i can drive home! Give me footy training any day! (also another note, it rarely snows if its below -15C. So snow days are relativley warm! >:D)

So my lucky friends. Why do I live here you ask? My wife is a local and it was easier for me to move here than it was for her to move back home. So thats my lot and I have adjusted. Although my Kyabram born Border Collie isnt as keen on playing frisbee in January as she is in July!

Most of the informarion I have given you is from experience although to be fair I used www.weatherbase.com for some information on averages. For those of you interested the average LOW here is -16 C for January and the lowest recorded was -35 C. While back home Horsham has a high of  plus 45 C. Big change for me!
Interesting to note some of the averages in certain places arent as cold as you would think. Iceland and Alaska weren`t as cold as I would have thought. Antarctica was a suprise!

So that`s it fellas. Any future cold weather questions can be directed to me! ;D