The Bear You've All Been Waiting For... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Bear You've All Been Waiting For...

Curtiger

Tiger Champion
Oct 26, 2004
Moreland, Melbourne
The Courtesy Bear!!!

I figured I'd be doing this sooner or later and I'm getting a bit sick of doing Homestar's hair.

Where to begin...
I'm a melbourne boy, have been all my life, and have only ventured out of the state twice. Both occasions were school camps. Canberra (grade 6) and Kangaroo Island (Year 8).

I live in the northern suburbs (Moreland, near Brunswick).

Family
Part of a fairly big one. 4 Siblings. Four brothers, three of whom are older than me. Then there's Ma & Pa, both of whom are middle-aged and avid tiger supporters, as are my brothers.

Education
I'm currently schooling at Princes Hill secondary college. There are better schools but this one offers classes for most of my interests.

Interests
I am currently learning the guitar outside school. I can play, but it's not a huge commitment and not a likely career choice.
I enjoy writing a bit (hence my addiction to this site) but fail to incorporate that into my music.
Still on the topic of music, I'm not fussed. I usually find a thing or two I like about each band I hear. Mainly I like rock (esp. the Chilis) but my musical tastes are quite diverse.
For sport, Football has only recently become my first choice. And I will hopefully be joining the local club at u/16's level this year. But beside that, I've only played footy at school level and have never been much good. I'm a keen student, though.
Cricket, I've always liked, but again, never been much good at. Another sport I've only played at school level. Very keen student, though.
Soccer, I've played for three years. Understood the basics and showed a little potential but never really took off. Suffered lack of confidence and occasional reverse racism. Do enjoy playing still though, and will probably take up indoor this year.
Basketball, my first sport. The one that started to get me fit and made me take interest in other sports. Played point guard in a terrible team but had the rule of never shooting (for obvious reasons...). I may return to it if I'm a dud at footy.
...And then I like to watch or participate in anything with a ball.

Aspirations
Sportsperson of sorts has always been the dream. But a distant one at that. Maybe a writer/author or something where I get to travel. We'll just see where school takes me.

I'm running outta ideas and I've probably left a few details out, but god knows what's happened on PRE in the time I've spent writing this!

Yours,
Curtis E Bear

Curtis I'm astounded you're under 16. You seem years older judging by your writing which obviously isn't a very sensible thing to do. ;D It's a pleasure to read though.

You do pretty well to get any computer time with so many siblings. ;)

I've got a really good guitar......funny story how I came by it...but I can't play it. I bought a guitar for Dummies manual but am stuck at the first step. I can't tune the thing. Still when a friend drops in and spends the night by the fire playing it I'm glad I have the guitar whether I use it or not.

Anduril said:
C B if you like sports and writing why not combine the both? A new Peter Roebuck!
Dunno about that...We'll see how I do at that after my detailed match reports on Chaff.

rosy23 said:
Curtis I'm astounded you're under 16. You seem years older judging by your writing which obviously isn't a very sensible thing to do. ;D It's a pleasure to read though.

You do pretty well to get any computer time with so many siblings. ;)

I've got a really good guitar......funny story how I came by it...but I can't play it. I bought a guitar for Dummies manual but am stuck at the first step. I can't tune the thing. Still when a friend drops in and spends the night by the fire playing it I'm glad I have the guitar whether I use it or not.
Yeah, well, 16 in a little over a month. I guess I've got it coming that everyone questions m identity...you know, after the way I went about things when I first arrived.

There's a couple of computers in this room...one internet and one for my dad's work. His has got the computer games on it.
When you want a go on the internet CPU, you wait patiently playing recently installed Cricket 2002. My two older brothers are currently flogging the Kiwis just to my left.

And yes, guitars make great ornaments. :D Mine's been decorating my room since it lost its A string. So I play my bro's steel string.

I didn't mention in my interests that I enjoy drawing. Another time killer whilst camping...which I also enjoy.

:D

Curtis

Good to learn a bit more about the bear.

What sort of guitar style to you play? eg. folk, acoustic, jazz (like the great man, Django REinhardt), classical etc.

Good luck with your footy! ;D

You mentioned a while ago that you would consider going to West Coburg, who have a very successful U/16 side, is that still your preference?

Absolutely, Gyps. West Coburg is the go!
If, however, there are as many punch-ons as I fear there will be, I might have to swich to Fitzroy. I can't learn footy with concussion and smiled knuckles.

For guitar, jazz is quite rare (for me, that is). I think it's harder to express onesself in jazz (especially when you're not a top class musician, like me). Jazz is more about gettin funky and soundin cool, which is good, but not the outlet for emotion I need.
You seem to have taken quite a liking to Mr Reindhardt (spelling?). If your profile is truthful in telling me you're under 50, how come you like him?

Writer eh?

Curtis, should you come up with something you reckon would do alright on www.puntroad.com, just drop me a PM and we'll talk.

:)

btw - you should put the entire works of Cormac Mccarthy on your reading list. There is a bloke who know how to write. Him and David Foster Wallace. Sports wise, you can't go past gideon haigh and mr roebuck is fine when on song. Otherwise he's a bit sacchrine for mine.

Tiger in a Tube said:
Writer eh?

Curtis, should you come up with something you reckon would do alright on www.puntroad.com, just drop me a PM and we'll talk.

:)

btw - you should put the entire works of Cormac Mccarthy on your reading list. There is a bloke who know how to write. Him and David Foster Wallace. Sports wise, you can't go past gideon haigh and mr roebuck is fine when on song. Otherwise he's a bit sacchrine for mine.

You would enjoy Catch22, probably my favourite book of all time. When you first start it, you will consider it strange, and contemplate giving up, but stick with it, and it will reward you 1000 times over. Another couple of good books that I read in 2004 are 'Vernon God Little', 'The Beach' (apparantly a bad film, but an excellent read) and anything by Bill Bryson goes down well.

Thought I could use this thread as an oppurtunity to ask about any cool work experience positions in western suburbs melbourne.

Anyone know of writing or film work?

Curtis :blah

That sounds familiar... ???

Ahhhhhhhhhh....

Yes, I have heard of people getting into those lines of work.

Cheers

Curtis E Bear said:
You seem to have taken quite a liking to Mr Reindhardt (spelling?). If your profile is truthful in telling me you're under 50, how come you like him?

Hehe i'm under 50 and I love Django, give him a chance. I also love the Chili's too though ;)

Good to read a little about you Curtis. I too am another culprit who thought you were older than a secondary school student. Very interesting read :)

Curtis, are you considering doing the Chaff match reports in a formal manner? Could be an interesting addition to have in a portfolio if you want to get into writing for a career. I did a thing where I concentrated on Rodan a couple of years back. A friend of mine posted it on her website. I don't suppose that many people look at it, but it gives me a buzz to go in sometimes and look at it.

I'm flattered, Otis.

Not a bad idea CTT. I'm think one of my mum's friends has hooked me up with a film work experience oppurtunity which is great, 'cos I'm really getting into film.
I've got a lot of article oppurtunities, but I can barely get off my behind for homework at the moment. I will be on it soon, though. Unless somethin' BIG happens with Chaff, I don't think my reports will be that formal.

Curtis :blah