Paddy Naish - where is he at? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Paddy Naish - where is he at?

Thought his disposal was excellent overall. Did play very outside though, only 1 contested possie. Will need to get more involved in that area. If you are pure outside it really comes down to how damaging your disposal is.
he is an outside player and having those guys in your team who deliver the ball well and are an outlet is a key part of the modern game. He is not there to bash and crash , he is there to distribute to and finish the work.
Played exactly the role we picked him for imo

Reactions: 6 users
he is an outside player and having those guys in your team who deliver the ball well and are an outlet is a key part of the modern game. He is not there to bash and crash , he is there to distribute to and finish the work.
Agreed. If he can keep working on his gut running and pushing back to help out the defence and block the oppositions outlet kick we could have a handy winger here.

if he can learn the Richmond wing running patterns he will offer something different on the wing with his kicking skills.

I don't think you can afford to go with purely outside players in today's game unless you are elite. You need to go when its your turn. I know that was one of the reasons in the past Naish wasn't getting a game and they worked on that aspect in the VFL. Saying that he did have 32 pressure points which isn't a bad effort.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't think you can afford to go with purely outside players in today's game unless you are elite. You need to go when its your turn. I know that was one of the reasons in the past Naish wasn't getting a game and they worked on that aspect in the VFL. Saying that he did have 32 pressure points which isn't a bad effort.
I agree but a big part of a player like him defending is to create the defensive outlet , he needs to run back and create the even number or the extra and I thought he did that pretty well. Sure he is going to have to go when it's his turn, everyone does on a footy field

Happy to see Naishy n a handful of other kids getting some proper senior game time. Don't ever expect to see any of them dominate while they are still learning the caper at the elite level. Just want them to play their role and make honest contributions. Naishy done that last night so more game time for him in coming weeks.

If there's any lessons to be taken from the injury issues of our last couple of seasons it's that we must somehow get more game time into our young mids somehow. They must be ready to seamlessly slot into the side when our older players fade out. It's usually normal for one or two youngsters to get fed through the system at times and get protected time to find their feet. But with the recent transition of mid tier experience players searching for more games elsewhere. We've been left with a bunch of promising youngster under exposed to senior level when the injuries have hit.
Might not seem like a huge loss when the likes of Bobble, Geezer, Higlet, Lego n Menardue moved out, but they were the blokes inside that bracket of thirty players that played regular senior footy or filled injury gaps. Suddenly when injuries hit we're throwing in debutants left right n centre.
Personally very happy to see the young next gen kids step up n get games, but it's frustrating as hell watching us struggle through games at the moment with such a big experience hole in our midfield.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. If he can keep working on his gut running and pushing back to help out the defence and block the oppositions outlet kick we could have a handy winger here.

if he can learn the Richmond wing running patterns he will offer something different on the wing with his kicking skills.
that long kick to Dusty was really great. Kick to his advantage.

Reactions: 3 users
At Full strength he may not be best 22 in 2021, however he showed enough to say he’s handy to have on the list at times like we have right now, depending on obviously what happens over the rest of the season , wouldn’t be unhappy to give him another year with a few injuries happening to our ageing midfield stars

Reactions: 2 users
Where's he at - exactly the same situation as Caddy, looking for a VFL team to play for next year.

Collier-Dawkins, Ralphsmith, Dow, Martyn have all gone past them both.

If you look at the way GWS spread and fed the ball to their forwards, and also the way Footscray and Melbourne do this, then players like Naish have a role. The modern game is a lot about finding space and getting the ball forward in a big hurry to your advantage. Naish can do this and we need players who can receive the ball, run, kick long and accurately.

He may find a role, still inexperienced, so still under review.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
Still has a body like a kid who has just entered into the AFL system.

Reactions: 1 users
Look at he role Ed Langdon plays at Melbourne, Gaff at the Eagles, Hunter at the Dogs. The template is there.

Did well last nite, didn’t look out of place at all. Definitely gets another go.

I don't think you can afford to go with purely outside players in today's game unless you are elite.

yeah I agree.

unless they have freakish speed, endurance and skills,

I'd recruit tough fast inside and give them an outside role.

Marlion and Kmac exhibits A and B

Bachar and shorty are our outside men, and both had limitations they've overcome.

But I dunno about Naish.

I drop him before Hugo and RCD without hesitation

Reactions: 3 users
If you look at the way GWS spread and fed the ball to their forwards, and also the way Footscray and Melbourne do this, then players like Naish have a role. The modern game is a lot about finding space and getting the ball forward in a big hurry to your advantage. Naish can do this and we need players who can receive the ball, run, kick long and accurately.

He may find a role, still inexperienced, so still under review.

DS
Look at the success of GWS, Footscray and Melbourne. No need to change our system similar to those teams!

Naish did well but its still unclear where his role is

Look at he role Ed Langdon plays at Melbourne, Gaff at the Eagles, Hunter at the Dogs. The template is there.

Did well last nite, didn’t look out of place at all. Definitely gets another go.
Yeah but the role of our wingers is to be KMac and Marlion, get back and help the defence, and intimidate and beat up the likes of Gaff, Hunter and Langdon.

Reactions: 5 users
You don't get rid of one of the few players on your list that can hit a target.

McCrae should be the way Naish (not Aish yer fat pleb) models his game.

richmond men dont need to hit targets.

grass and territory.

its a bonus if they do, but not a pre-requisite

you gotta be as tough as *smile*, be quick, have a big engine and a whole lotta love to give

neither of our wingmen can hit the side of a barn :cool:

but I wouldnt swap either for anyone else wingmen

Yeah but the role of our wingers is to be KMac and Marlion, get back and help the defence, and intimidate and beat up the likes of Gaff, Hunter and Langdon.
Unfortunately for Naish, this is so true.

And he simply does not have the body shape to do that.

< AFWL | Sheeds >