Perth Finals Quarantine | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Perth Finals Quarantine

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
Caro reporting on Footy Classified that the Eagles will quarantine in their homes for a week when they return to Perth for their Elimination final (probably against Collingwood).
Because WA is insisting on a week long period before the game, this means that the Eagles stay at their homes, with all the freedoms that involves, while their opponents will be under stricter restrictions in a hotel for this week.

Eddie seemed stunned and thought both teams would be in hotel quarantine.
Presumably he will be fuming at the unbalanced conditions facing the different teams.

In our case we may face Port at home in Adelaide but if the conditions remain the same the visiting team will simply fly in and out for the game, the same as a normal season.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Perth since Eddie would be the only club leader able to confront the AFL over this bias.
I certainly wouldn't want our team facing a week in a Perth hotel, particularly if their treatment was similar to what some of the visiting sporting teams have faced over the years internationally.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Caro reporting on Footy Classified that the Eagles will quarantine in their homes for a week when they return to Perth for their Elimination final (probably against Collingwood).
Because WA is insisting on a week long period before the game, this means that the Eagles stay at their homes, with all the freedoms that involves, while their opponents will be under stricter restrictions in a hotel for this week.

Presumably he will be fuming at the unbalanced conditions facing the different teams.

In our case we may face Port at home in Adelaide but if the conditions remain the same the visiting team will simply fly in and out for the game, the same as a normal season.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Perth since Eddie would be the only club leader able to confront the AFL over this bias.
I certainly wouldn't want our team facing a week in a Perth hotel, particularly if their treatment was similar to what some of the visiting sporting teams have faced over the years internationally.

Collingwood will beat port.
They won't be going.
Footscary will be going

Reactions: 1 user

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012

I must admit to be rather confused by the quarantine rules, Redan. What does it mean for the winner of this game for their semi final?

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Then make West Coast play their final in the Queensland hub like the rest of us.

Port, too.

Reactions: 4 users

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
I must admit to be rather confused by the quarantine rules, Redan. What does it mean for the winner of this game for their semi final?
First of all your titles are wrongish.
There are Elimination and Qualifying finals, then Semi Finals, then Preliminary finals and then the GF.

Winners of Qualifying finals (top four, 1v4 and 2v3) get a bye in second round and retain home ground for Preliminary final.
Winners of Elimination (bottom four, 5v8 and 6v7) play losers of Qualifying final in Semi Finals away and losers of Elimination are out.
The winners of Semi Finals swap paths so they don't play a repeat of the Qualifying in the Preliminary final.
Winners of the two Preliminary's play in the grand final.

Don't take this as gospel but,
First, second, Fourth and fifth have the right to home finals in the first week.
Port, Lions and West Coast will thus get home finals.
All Victorian clubs will play, at their choice, either at the Gabba or Metricon so that's whoever finishes sixth. GWS can't get that high

Different rules apply for SA and WA.
SA opponents can fly in and out to play as I understand it.
WA opponents till recently had to quarantine in hotels for 2 weeks. Now apparently down to one week so Eagles can get a home final.
The other change is that WA teams returning now don't have to quarantine at hotels but in their homes as above.

An interesting example is Port.
If they beat Collingwood om Monday they stay in first and play Geelong in SA, presuming we beat Adelaide.
If they beat Geelong at home they stay there and play the winner of the (other) semi final ie not the Geelong semi winner in the Prelim.

If they lose to Collingwood (and Lions win) they will drop to second and play Richmond in SA.
If they lost to us they would still stay in SA and play the lowest ranked Elimination winner, presuming Lions win their QF.

It's all variable but based around giving advantage due to ladder position in terms of home ground and opponent ladder position.

123kid, that would seem to be the solution.
Port's not a problem. It's like a normal year. Fly in, play the game, fly out. No worries.
WA is a worry since it's changing the guidelines. Initially there were going to be no finals in WA due to their 14 day quarantine.
They've now changed to a one week quarantine and also the Eagles can do it at home, not in a hotel.
Surprise, huge advantage for Eagles.
The other alternative is to have the same conditions as SA. Fly in, fly out on game day or previous day.
To force interstaters to quarantine for a week prior is the key problem.

Last edited:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Then make West Coast play their final in the Queensland hub like the rest of us.

Port, too.

I think the other states supporters arguments that the AFL favours VIC teams should be dead and buried. If they favoured VIC teams then all teams would be playing finals in QLD with no homeground advantage (ie. the Lions would play at Metricon).

The fact they are allowing interstate home finals, shows there is no VIC bias as the advantage that has this year is enormous, way more than any other year as no VIC or NSW teams (if any NSW teams qualify) have any homeground advantage whatsoever.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I agree. The idea of a halfhub seems absurd, unless its collingwood getting shafted. Then its best practice

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
First of all your titles are wrongish.
There are Elimination and Qualifying finals, then Semi Finals, then Preliminary finals and then the GF.

Winners of Qualifying finals (top four, 1v4 and 2v3) get a bye in second round and retain home ground for Preliminary final.
Winners of Elimination (bottom four, 5v8 and 6v7) play losers of Qualifying final in Semi Finals away and losers of Elimination are out.
The winners of Semi Finals swap paths so they don't play a repeat of the Qualifying in the Preliminary final.
Winners of the two Preliminary's play in the grand final.

Don't take this as gospel but,
First, second, Fourth and fifth have the right to home finals in the first week.
Port, Lions and West Coast will thus get home finals.
All Victorian clubs will play, at their choice, either at the Gabba or Metricon so that's whoever finishes sixth. GWS can't get that high

Different rules apply for SA and WA.
SA opponents can fly in and out to play as I understand it.
WA opponents till recently had to quarantine in hotels for 2 weeks. Now apparently down to one week so Eagles can get a home final.
The other change is that WA teams returning now don't have to quarantine at hotels but in their homes as above.

An interesting example is Port.
If they beat Collingwood om Monday they stay in first and play Geelong in SA, presuming we beat Adelaide.
If they beat Geelong at home they stay there and play the winner of the (other) semi final ie not the Geelong semi winner in the Prelim.

If they lose to Collingwood (and Lions win) they will drop to second and play Richmond in SA.
If they lost to us they would still stay in SA and play the lowest ranked Elimination winner, presuming Lions win their QF.

It's all variable but based around giving advantage due to ladder position in terms of home ground and opponent ladder position.

123kid, that would seem to be the solution.
Port's not a problem. It's like a normal year. Fly in, play the game, fly out. No worries.
WA is a worry since it's changing the guidelines. Initially there were going to be no finals in WA due to their 14 day quarantine.
They've now changed to a one week quarantine and also the Eagles can do it at home, not in a hotel.
Surprise, huge advantage for Eagles.
The other alternative is to have the same conditions as SA. Fly in, fly out on game day or previous day.
To force interstaters to quarantine for a week prior is the key problem.
Thanks Redan. I understand the finals system, was just querying the quarantine rules. What I was saying was assuming the Eagles finish 5th, they will play a home Elimination final. Whoever wins that would play a semi final in week 2.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I think the other states supporters arguments that the AFL favours VIC teams should be dead and buried. If they favoured VIC teams then all teams would be playing finals in QLD with no homeground advantage (ie. the Lions would play at Metricon).

The fact they are allowing interstate home finals, shows there is no VIC bias as the advantage that has this year is enormous, way more than any other year as no VIC or NSW teams (if any NSW teams qualify) have any homeground advantage whatsoever.

100% correct. All finals should be played in SE QLD on neutral grounds. If the VIC teams can't play at home, nor should Port and West Coast. Brisbane should play any "away" final at Metricon.

Feb 25, 2007
Collingwood will beat port.
They won't be going.
Footscary will be going

Nah port will beat them zipppa
The pies are not playing well enough to beat a team like Port who are actually playing consistently well.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
If you think about it, sending ~60-70 people to the airport, flying interstate, staying in a hotel, and flying back is far riskier than two players going to a nightclub.

The level of risk + punishments already handed are greatly disproportionate to satisfying the traditional reward for a team finishing 1st/2nd over 3rd/4thin the form of a home state final.

It’s stupid.

Then again, when you get the AFL and state governments playing politics with each other you’re always going to end up with stupid.

I know Victoria’s restrictions can’t be compared directly to other states‘, but it’s funny to me how West Coast and Port are more entitled to a home state final than I’m entitled to drive 6km to pickup some sushi.

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
Thanks Redan. I understand the finals system, was just querying the quarantine rules. What I was saying was assuming the Eagles finish 5th, they will play a home Elimination final. Whoever wins that would play a semi final in week 2.
Yes but I don't think they retain the home ground.
It would go to the higher team ie the loser from the Qualifying.
So only the first final in Perth.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Yes but I don't think they retain the home ground.
It would go to the higher team ie the loser from the Qualifying.
So only the first final in Perth.
Yes that's right. WC or the 8th team would have to travel for the semi final, which is where I was unsure of the quarantine time in either SA or Qld.

Platinum member

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 30, 2015
Reservoir
The answer to your original question is they just fly to Queensland and resume their hub life.. no quarantine needed.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Nah port will beat them zipppa
The pies are not playing well enough to beat a team like Port who are actually playing consistently well.
But Astute, now DeGooy and big Cox are BACK!!!

You must be worried, surely? :eek::eek:

• Haha

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I agree.

I have a strong feeling we play Port in our first final. Assuming of course we beat Adelaide.

The thing that gets me angry is both Geelong & Port have 1 & 2 days to work out who they want to play in the first week of the finals.
Port dosent want to play Geelong.
Geelong would rather play Port then Brisbane.