Pick 12 Poll | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 12 Poll

With all the mystery surrounding the player who will it be from this list ?

• Weller

Votes: 40 29.4%
  • Cockatoo

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • Duggan

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • Wright

Votes: 14 10.3%
  • Ellis

Votes: 14 10.3%
  • Ahern

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Durdin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • De Goey

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Letsroar said:
My desire for Cockie relates back to something a family friend (Coleman medalist and very successful coach at club & rep levels in the country). He said judge players on how they perform in big games. Cockie had one chance to impress and BOG was the result

He looked like a senior AFL player in that game quite frankly, apart from a few miss-kicks.

Letsroar said:
My desire for Cockie relates back to something a family friend (Coleman medalist and very successful coach at club & rep levels in the country). He said judge players on how they perform in big games. Cockie had one chance to impress and BOG was the result

Corey Ellis joined their Keilor team two years later and was voted best player in four grand finals - all up, he played in eight straight flags.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-keilors-fab-5-set-for-the-big-time-20141114-11hevc.html

I gong to be so angry if Ellis is still on the board at 12 and we don't pick him.

polohollick said:
touk miller will be better than weller may not be obvilous now but in 2 years time it will be also ellis will prove a better choice than weller
Look out FJs here that's why I went Ellis

PJ in Osaka said:
I chose Ellis. BOG in four flags? That's impressive
In junior footy for East Keilor

Most of these kids dominate their junior leagues - thats how they make TAC and the Metro side in the first place.

I chose "Other" only in the unlikely event LaVerde slips through..

If not, I will be happy with Weller, thanks.

Everyone will have their own ideas as to who we should pick leading into the draft next week but only history will say who was the right choice.

I often wonder if Francis and his recruiting team has been closely measured by someone at the club for their record over the past 8 years in comparison to other club's recruiters.
Obviously he won't get all his selections right but what is most important is that he's doing better overall than the opposition.
I imagine it is but hopefully this is being carefully scrutinised over a period of time.

Reckon he'd be near top of the class for his 1st Rd selections Tooheys.

But close to bringing up the rear for later selections.

As you allude, hopefully they have analysed where things have gone wrong in the selection process for the latter.

Leysy Days said:

As you allude, hopefully they have analysed where things have gone wrong in the selection process for the latter.

Reckon they are turning things around a bit, Miles has been a great selection, Petterd has given good service and Gordon looks to be a sound selection. Even Loyd has improved his fitness to provide a fair bit of optimism.

Tigers of Old said:
Everyone will have their own ideas as to who we should pick leading into the draft next week but only history will say who was the right choice.

I often wonder if Francis and his recruiting team has been closely measured by someone at the club for their record over the past 8 years in comparison to other club's recruiters.
Obviously he won't get all his selections right but what is most important is that he's doing better overall than the opposition.
I imagine it is but hopefully this is being carefully scrutinised over a period of time.

i doubt any team (except GWS/Suns) have drafted a collection of talls since 06 to match Jack, Rance, TV, Astbury, Griff, Grimes plus Elton and McBean.

Jackson post 1st round selections include ShEdwards, Rance, Griffiths, Astbury, Dea, Grimes, Batchelor, Gordon, McDonut, McBesus and Lloyd, plus the likes of Miles and Pettard.

Probably not the best, but i dont reckon as bad as some on here continually claim.

i dont think the club gets enough credit for the job it has done rebuilding its list since 06.
the only guys still at the club from the 06 season are Lids, Newman and Foley. I reckon swap those 3 with the hawks pre 06 players such as Roughhead, Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis and we contend. Ditto the Cats veterans, or the Swans/ Dockers. Basically any club (except Port) who are at the top of of the ladder rely on guys who have been on the list 10+ years. We dont.

Leysy Days said:

bullus_hit said:
Reckon they are turning things around a bit, Miles has been a great selection, Petterd has given good service and Gordon looks to be a sound selection. Even Loyd has improved his fitness to provide a fair bit of optimism.
If Griffiths, Astbury, McBean, McDonough and McIntosh come on as expected then I think FJ will be viewed very differently amongst PRE critics.

Brodders17 said:
i doubt any team (except GWS/Suns) have drafted a collection of talls since 06 to match Jack, Rance, TV, Astbury, Griff, Grimes plus Elton and McBean.

Jackson post 1st round selections include ShEdwards, Rance, Griffiths, Astbury, Dea, Grimes, Batchelor, Gordon, McDonut, McBesus and Lloyd, plus the likes of Miles and Pettard.

Probably not the best, but i dont reckon as bad as some on here continually claim.

i dont think the club gets enough credit for the job it has done rebuilding its list since 06.
the only guys still at the club from the 06 season are Lids, Newman and Foley. I reckon swap those 3 with the hawks pre 06 players such as Roughhead, Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis and we contend. Ditto the Cats veterans, or the Swans/ Dockers. Basically any club (except Port) who are at the top of of the ladder rely on guys who have been on the list 10+ years. We dont.
#26 - S.Edwards (Kurt Tippet & Todd Goldstien would of been handy)
#18 - Rance (Callum Ward & Scott Selwood were the only standouts but Rance is definately a win and im sure most here wanted rance that year)
#19 - Griffiths (Fyffe,Carlisle,Gunston,This 1 hurst) My choice that year was Carlisle never seen fyffe coming tbh

These are not really late selections and are just outside 1st round picks, But to asses how good their selections were you really need to dig deeper and see what quality was around at around their picks or in their draft to see what we missed by selecting them.

For example in 2008 we selected Tyrone Vickery & Left Ziebell,Davis,Shuey,Sidebottom on the table around that selection , Then we went onto select Jayden Post with #26 out of the blue when he was more looked on as a 3rd/4th rounder and left Shiels,Beams,Hannerbury,Clarke on the table with the next 10 players selected

Our Later picks have certainly been rated a C if being rated

turk-d-tiger said:
#26 - S.Edwards (Kurt Tippet & Todd Goldstien would of been handy)
#18 - Rance (Callum Ward & Scott Selwood were the only standouts but Rance is definately a win and im sure most here wanted rance that year)
#19 - Griffiths (Fyffe,Carlisle,Gunston,This 1 hurst) My choice that year was Carlisle never seen fyffe coming tbh

These are not really late selections and are just outside 1st round picks, But to asses how good their selections were you really need to dig deeper and see what quality was around at around their picks or in their draft to see what we missed by selecting them.

For example in 2008 we selected Tyrone Vickery & Left Ziebell,Davis,Shuey,Sidebottom on the table around that selection , Then we went onto select Jayden Post with #26 out of the blue when he was more looked on as a 3rd/4th rounder and left Shiels,Beams,Hannerbury,Clarke on the table with the next 10 players selected

Our Later picks have certainly been rated a C if being rated

Frank is like Jeckyll & Hyde, at the top end he's methodical & calculating, at the deep end he can be unpredictable & radical. He has plucked so many names from obscurity that he even gets audible gasps on draft night. Arnot had everyone in the room looking on in disbelief, the same with McDonald & Post, McIntosh was also seen as a leftfield selection.

But I have sensed since then that he isn't as willing to be such a maverick with late picks, guys like Gordon, Petterd, Miles & Lloyd had significant senior exposure prior to being drafted, it's an approach that takes much of the guesswork out of recruiting. This year I hope he continues to place a premium on performers who have done well at state league level, it would seem to be an excellent barometer in the sink or swim world of the AFL.

bullus_hit said:
Frank is like Jeckyll & Hyde, at the top end he's methodical & calculating, at the deep end he can be unpredictable & radical. He has plucked so many names from obscurity that he even gets audible gasps on draft night. Arnot had everyone in the room looking on in disbelief, the same with McDonald & Post, McIntosh was also seen as a leftfield selection.

But I have sensed since then that he isn't as willing to be such a maverick with late picks, guys like Gordon, Petterd, Miles & Lloyd had significant senior exposure prior to being drafted, it's an approach that takes much of the guesswork out of recruiting. This year I hope he continues to place a premium on performers who have done well at state league level, it would seem to be an excellent barometer in the sink or swim world of the AFL.

Whilst i do agree with most what you have written there are a couple of points id like to make
McIntosh was certainly being looked at and a very good chance would of been selected by both West Coast & Fremantle with the later picks before our next selection so i dont really mind the 3 Mc's selections - McBean specially was a player i really liked at our pick and it ended up that way

On your last point about selecting players like Gordon/Lloyd - Do you think it might be because he has lost his courage to pluck players from no where and is feeling the heat and going for players that have more of a breakeven rather that a boom/bust option

I personally give no credit to FJ for the Miles selection and i believe it was more a coach directive that miles was selected , If FJ really wanted Miles he would of been on him at an earlier rookie selection.

I Dont rate FJ and dont believe i ever will and he is the last person left of the old regime and needs to be put to pasture asap and some serious head hunting needs to be done to improve our people in the recruiting DEPT.
pointless bringing in people like Luke Williams if FJ Dinasour is still the BOSS

When posters have as much evidence as Francis Jackson at their disposal to make a fully informed decision on young players, then they'll be in a position to draw criticism of a professionals choice.
Until then they're just an amateur armchair critic behind a keyboard.

Dayle Garlett was a classic example of why a player may be overlooked.
There's a lot more to the caper than just a highlight clip or the tearing it up in the odd game that you have watched.
The Greg Miller days are gone and it goes without saying now that these professionals put enormous amounts of hours into these kids and have access to far more than just footage to make a fully informed decision.
I understand that everyone would love the jobs they have, what I don't understand is telling them how to suck eggs unless you have access the same information.
That doesn't necessarily mean that they will get it right but they are in a better position to get it wrong than anyone else here.

They also talk to the kids coaches, teachers, opposition coaches, etc etc. massive time spent researching the kids