Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

I haven’t been Shais biggest fan , however wrapt his back in, outstanding VFL form rewarded, just hope he plays the majority of the game up field.

I haven’t been Shais biggest fan , however wrapt his back in, outstanding VFL form rewarded, just hope he plays the majority of the game up field.

Agree
He has dominated in the midfield in his last 2 VFL games, and has done well when he has played there previously. I'll be filthy if he plays forward on Sunday.
When Shed went down back , Bolts should've replaced him in the midfield. He has the moves, vision and creativity to play Sheds role.
Shed turns 31 in a few months, it's time to get midfield games into Shai.

We have to put a few games into Shai, we need to see if he can consistently play well in the seniors. Now is the time to work out if he is going to make it and if he can play by the team rules, 4th year according to someone above. Put the ball in Shai's court: you're in, show us what you have.

DS
halfway though his 3rd year & doesnt turn 21 till December

Love and respect your passion but ............please don’t compare him to Sydney Stack in talent. Not in the same suburb. Sydney has a vital skill that Shan doesn’t at the moment. And that’s getting the ball at AFL level. If Sydney played on Shai, I reckon he’d nearly go statless. And a myth is being perpetuated on here by a few that he’s a beautiful kick. I’ve seen no such thing. His ball drop starts at his nose which allows too much variation before hitting his foot. Major flaw that needs to be corrected. Sydney kicks bullets on both sides of his body from 50m and throws in a few torps for a laugh.
What you are rightly arguing is that he has seems to possess unexposed talent and great potential however our club may not value this as much as others because players like Stack and Ross turn up and make immediate impact. Bolton has not and should not be overpriced by our club because his manager is a commercial pr$ck. Both parties have fulfilled their commitment to each other so far but Shai has to establish himself as a regular before anyone can argue he’s worth $400k per year. That would be stage one. Stage two is the next level that some of the others you mention sit at which is great players on a consistent basis. There’s a further level of champion status that I cannot foresee for Shai but happy to be proven wrong. Think everyone agrees that Sydney is heading in the right direction for that one so what would you pay him per year?
Great post DA, he always leans back on his kicks which obviusly slows them down , makes them go high & looks lairy.

I pointed this out 2 years ago & compared his kicking efficiency to Conca's, i was howled down !

Great post DA, he always leans back on his kicks which obviously slows them down , makes them go high & looks lairy.

I pointed this out 2 years ago & compared his kicking efficiency to Conca's, i was howled down !

My alias, Caesar, is named after my long gone Golden Retriever, he was a good howler ;)

Be careful or there will be no lift for you to Sandy today!

The difference is the VFL is a professional/amateur competition so outstanding talent can be enough to shine.

In the AFL the difference between high achieving players and teams is largely mental, barring the outliers in physic and skill.

We are all using the same science, players are by and large as fit and as strong as each other and generally access equivalent techniques in recovery.

The difference between success and failure is in attitude, team approach, confidence, synergy, energy and self sacrifice.

Right now Bolton is a talented individual but lacks in several areas that define success. He needs to take this opportunity to make himself a trusted and responsible team member, who can be relied upon to use his ability to further the team's cause.

If he can do that, the sky is the limit. If he can't he will join the long list of talented individuals who never bridged the gap between talent and success.

Yep, clearly has talent, but then just about anyone who makes it to AFL level has a lot of talent. The question is whether he can put it to the team's use. If not, then he is not worth holding on to. Skills can be taught, attitude and application are much harder to change.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, clearly has talent, but then just about anyone who makes it to AFL level has a lot of talent. The question is whether he can put it to the team's use. If not, then he is not worth holding on to. Skills can be taught, attitude and application are much harder to change.

DS

Definite talent but his fly over Ellis on his own early showed why he was dropped. Do the team thing Shai.

And to be fair, great front and centre snapped goal in the second. The good and the bad of Shai Bolton.

Personally - I always like him in the side. Things seem to happen when he is around the ball. Will always have to take the good with the bad with Bolts I think.

Personally - I always like him in the side. Things seem to happen when he is around the ball. Will always have to take the good with the bad with Bolts I think.

Agree - he just has the ability to do special things
And only by playing him into a regular position in the side will we really ge5 a chance to see i5 and hopefully see it develop further
Good game

It’s great to see the coaches go for raw talent in the forward half with both shai and syd mixing it today. I’m looking forward to the game when the chemistry bubbles over. Shai looked a little hesitant today at times. I want to see him own it.

I'd rather he play over Butler, Rioli and Higgins at this stage. Keep him in.

Reactions: 1 users
Trade. As the posts show his perceived value is way in front of actual value. Swap for Hill?

Helped break the game open. His last quarter was very good as he took the game and showed elusive he is. Plays next week.

Reactions: 2 users
Help please new format... I am a bit challenged!! Cant find the usual forum page with all the posts ?? Help please