Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Poor game from Shai given his recent form. And TBR is right, took the selfish option nearly every time tonight.

Yeah he's still learning but he managed to forget what he learnt over the last month tonight.

Reactions: 1 users
Poor game from Shai given his recent form. And TBR is right, took the selfish option nearly every time tonight.

Yeah he's still learning but he managed to forget what he learnt over the last month tonight.

Agree disappointing early that Shai took the selfish options instead of finding a teammate in a better position.... although he was 2-3 straight kicks off a ripper game

Took 4 marks. Kicked 1.4 I suppose if that was at least 4.1 we wouldn't be reading this nonsense of dropping him.

Reactions: 1 user
Should have kicked 3 or 4 - missed two set shot with one hitting the post.

His decision making will improve with experience but gives the team that X factor - like the way he is developing

I agree, a couple of times he could ha e passed it on instead of shooting. Decision making issue. Selfish? No. Passed it on a number of times. Most score involvements of our forwards. 2 goal assists. Absolutely required leading into finals.

Took 4 marks. Kicked 1.4 I suppose if that was at least 4.1 we wouldn't be reading this nonsense of dropping him.

That's the point, 1.4 could have been 1.1 and two or three more goal assists. He took the snap at least 3 times with teammates running past for easy shots.

I never mentioned dropping him.

Yeah, I thought he was pretty selfish at times. Still a very promising talent though. Hopefully we dont drop him.

Massive future.

I'll happily wager my Tiger credentials against yours any day.

Now back to the adults, further to my previous post, everything we have done has been based upon a team first culture.

We don't have the most talented 22 on the ground each week but we have the most committed to doing what needs to be done for each other.

Every selfish act puts a dent in that culture and once you get enough it starts to do real damage to it.

At the moment Bolton cares more about his own success than his team mates and if that doesn't change he will inevitably join the long list of players who play well on their terms and do nothing when the going gets tough.

He needs some tough love to change his mindset before he becomes Chris Yarran, in the football sense.

Or Stevie Johnson

It's not about whether or not he kicks the goals, it's about looking a team mate in a better position in the eye and then taking on the goal anyway or ignoring the percentage kick after a mark to take the man on the mark on and end up having to bomb to an out number.

I think we need to set strong standards with that stuff or it becomes a cancer. Same as I would have dropped Ellis this week after he didn't go twice last week.
Understand, but your point in dropping him is IMO nonsense. There's been so many players who have badly performed still in the team the week after.

Agree. Didn’t play a team game and missed 2 sodas. I like him and he’s got credits but he wouldn’t want another game like that. There are too many in the VFL side ready to take his place.

He should stay in, overall an asset. But some more coaching on choosing the best option is needed, I suspect Shai knows this too so the responsibility to improve that aspect of his game is squarely with Shai himself.

DS

I wouldn't drop him............yet. But I agree with Richo. Ridiculously selfish. When he keeps that in check he is so good.

Needs a bit of coaching/encouragement/talking to this week.

The non handball to Butler was probably the worst, Received the ball, moving in Butler's direction, the easiest of gives and Butler just runs into an open goal from 30 straight on front. Deliberately ignores, then shimmys back into traffic and out surrounded by two players and snaps a point. Not good enough and corrosive if left unchecked.

I think Dusty is the guy to speak to him. Often tried to do it all himself early days - now a consummate sharer of the ball.

I'll happily wager my Tiger credentials against yours any day.

Now back to the adults, further to my previous post, everything we have done has been based upon a team first culture.

We don't have the most talented 22 on the ground each week but we have the most committed to doing what needs to be done for each other.

Every selfish act puts a dent in that culture and once you get enough it starts to do real damage to it.

At the moment Bolton cares more about his own success than his team mates and if that doesn't change he will inevitably join the long list of players who play well on their terms and do nothing when the going gets tough.

He needs some tough love to change his mindset before he becomes Chris Yarran, in the football sense.

1000% agree agree on the non-negotiable importance of stamping out persistent selfishness. I expect him to mature quickly at our club, so I’m hopeful he can learn how to put the team first eventually. The challenge is how to deal with it in the shor-term.

Ironically, Bolton’s only goal of the game came from an unselfish pass by Butler.

It’s a fine line isn’t it. He kicks those two getable set shots and maybe one of those ‘selfish’ shots and he has ended up with 3 or 4 goals in wet conditions and would be getting pumped right up this morning!

Bolton is a bit like Nahas and George. You can't have him in the forward line and kick points. Had he kicked his easy goals the game would have been blown open early. Teams like West Coast will destroy us if we miss the easy ones. If he had options it just increases the angst. Like his work in the midfield - keep him there, our forward line would have kicked a more goals if he wasn't there.