Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

We are signing these guys up and I am sure Bolton is a priority. What it is going to mean is that others will go.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s the Ellis decision that would be holding up the Bolton deal. Bolton’s next deal will move him into the bracket Ellis is currently in.

How far we stretch depends on what Ellis does. Regardless this lad is a must stay.

Bolton would be a fool to leave Richmond.
Reckon it's just media scuttlebutt.
I don't believe he will be going anywhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty sure the Tigers are doing the right thing. They've been pretty prudent with signings. Still plenty of time for this to play out. Clearly Bolton and management are holding out to see what other clubs value him at before rushing into signing with the Tigers. And fair enough too. That's business.

It's a win/win for us too. If the contract carrot goes a ways to keeping Shai frosty & playing great footy, then it may go so way towards helping us win a flag this year..

Re the selfishness thing. Just think he hasn't been in the top side long enough to recognise/look for options. Even as he buys into the RFC selflessness thing through more experience - we seem to end up losing as many goals through over complicating as we do from not exercising the right option. In other words swings and roundabouts. The mark of a forward is in both taking responsibility and then getting the job done and kicking a goal and not a point.

I have no problems with players who are capable of kicking goals having a ping. If anything I reckon we often stuff around too much in front of goals trying to get that extra handball or kick to another player possibly in a better position but with the extra disposal risk factor. Overall Bolton almost has the right balance, he's certainly made something out of nothing many times.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd like to see Bolton dropped this week and wouldn't be rushing out to sign a contract either.

Is chronically selfish and talented, selfish players end up eroding teams.

If he can't change his mindset then he has no place in a successful team.
Rubbish.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd like to see Bolton dropped this week and wouldn't be rushing out to sign a contract either.

lol

I agree he is hungry, but you can’t drop him.

I'll happily wager my Tiger credentials against yours any day.

Now back to the adults, further to my previous post, everything we have done has been based upon a team first culture.

We don't have the most talented 22 on the ground each week but we have the most committed to doing what needs to be done for each other.

Every selfish act puts a dent in that culture and once you get enough it starts to do real damage to it.

At the moment Bolton cares more about his own success than his team mates and if that doesn't change he will inevitably join the long list of players who play well on their terms and do nothing when the going gets tough.

He needs some tough love to change his mindset before he becomes Chris Yarran, in the football sense.

I suppose you know Shai personally also......

He's young and learning. They all do this. The way he plays is more worth keeping in the team than any 'selfish' play you see him do. At least he doesn't hesitate which is more a problem for a player to develop.