Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Bolton is a bit like Nahas and George. You can't have him in the forward line and kick points. Had he kicked his easy goals the game would have been blown open early. Teams like West Coast will destroy us if we miss the easy ones. If he had options it just increases the angst. Like his work in the midfield - keep him there, our forward line would have kicked a more goals if he wasn't there.

Think some are going a bit over the top. He has kicked 12 goals 9 this year. Has had the yips last couple of games but prior has taken his opportunities. I remember quite a few missing pretty easy shots last night including Reiwoldt with 3 behinds. He is 8 goals 8 this year.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Really like Bolton. Think he could be a damn good player into the future. Already brings a dynamic to the team.
I m sure the coaching staff will have a talk to him about the team-oriented approach.
That said, until this season he was always on the edge of the 22 and now he has been given a run of games maybe he thinks that to cement his spot, particularly as a forward, that he needs to slot several goals a week as his KPI.
The culture at Tigerland will eventually see him become more of a team player ... but let's not remove all the individuality from his play because he does have that sort of X-factor thst is rare to find and almost certainly can't be manufactured.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The non handball to Butler was probably the worst, Received the ball, moving in Butler's direction, the easiest of gives and Butler just runs into an open goal from 30 straight on front. Deliberately ignores, then shimmys back into traffic and out surrounded by two players and snaps a point. Not good enough and corrosive if left unchecked.
in fairness, he looked and saw that it was Butler so decided to go it alone.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
are we getting a bit Henny Penny over here?
Yep.

Just watched the replay this morning, and the only 'selfish' play was the non-pass to Butler in the first when it least matters. Had we been behind late in the last and he didn't pass to Butler, then we can call that called 'selfish'.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Or Stevie Johnson
Stevie J was a bloody gun player, certainly took the game on n tried to do plenty himself but he was also extremely team orientated. He n Moons had an internal comp going for a few years as to who could provide the most goal assists each year.
Shai could be bloody good, he's got talent dripping, but he also needs to make sure he shares by using team mates instead of trying to look pretty doing it all himself. Most important of all, he needs to bloody nail a few more of the soda set shots when the opportunities present. They're the bread n butter that feeds the team, club n fans. The fancy stuff is cake n cream reward.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Stevie J was a bloody gun player, certainly took the game on n tried to do plenty himself but he was also extremely team orientated. He n Moons had an internal comp going for a few years as to who could provide the most goal assists each year.
Shai could be bloody good, he's got talent dripping, but he also needs to make sure he shares by using team mates instead of trying to look pretty doing it all himself. Most important of all, he needs to bloody nail a few more of the soda set shots when the opportunities present. They're the bread n butter that feeds the team, club n fans. The fancy stuff is cake n cream reward.
If we turned Jack from selfish to non-selfish while in the 1sts, we can do it with Shai. Dropping him is a laughter.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
With the likes of Cotchin Stack, Ross, and Pickett to name a few, all likely inclusions over the next few weeks, it might be prudent of Shai to play the Richmond way.

mainlandy

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2004
Mont Albert
Cemented his spot in the 22, so important to us, had that X factor. I’m sure he will be shown video of those individual acts. Love him

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
If we turned Jack from selfish to non-selfish while in the 1sts, we can do it with Shai. Dropping him is a laughter.
I'm not one for dropping him, but he does need to temper a few little aspects of his game. Needs to learn to share the toys n lollies a bit instead of trying to keep them all for himself. Purely a bit of developing n maturing as a TEAM player that's all.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
No doubt Dimma will make a few pointed observations in the match review meetings. But, this kid makes good things happen from neutral situations.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Just a little piece on Shai today in The Age as an aside to the under 22 AFLPA 40 man squad being named:

Im really looking forward to $hai playing a finals campaign.

His one of the most evasive players I've ever seen.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Im really looking forward to $hai playing a finals campaign.

His one of the most evasive players I've ever seen.
If lights up like he did in the VFL grand final, we are going to have some good viewing.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Now that both Hills are vacanting Freo.
Rumours are they will have the cash to splash to try and get little bolton.
I wouldn't trade Bolton for Pavlich.
We need to off load to keep this kid.
He is a kid if we let go he will burn us in the long run. His isnt Stengle
*Unless he wants out.