Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Shai played well, he needed to, because he was ordinary in his last game. Good on him.

Prefer to judge youngsters on their whole season, not their last game. Playing that predominant small forward role can be tough. Just ask Rioli.

Reactions: 2 users
Prefer to judge youngsters on their whole season, not their last game. Playing that predominant small forward role can be tough. Just ask Rioli.
Fair point, but with competition for spots he needed to play well.

Reactions: 1 user
Great game from Shai. That electric 180 degree turn and snap (and miss unfortunately) was amazing. Bigger bodies defenders just can't lay a finger on him.
He has improved greatly over the past games. Keep going Shai!

Played with unselfish flair last night... thought he was brilliant.

Best game for the year.

He seems to love the pressure and I like that he has the confidence to take the game on when it’s his turn and has the skill to match.

He could be anything young Bolton and I can see him raising his bar again over (hopefully) the next two games.

Great game from Shai. That electric 180 degree turn and snap (and miss unfortunately) was amazing. Bigger bodies defenders just can't lay a finger on him.
My only real knock on him...no left foot.
Brilliant game. Was in everything after quarter time.
He (and Rioli) would relish the dry ground and ball.

He played well. He needed a good game and he delivered. Can't train that - it has to actually happen. Elevated himself out of the ins and outs player discussion for next game.
Only gets tougher now - and you can't buy that experience.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a lot more comfortable with Shai Bolton up the ground getting clever touches in traffic. Its when he is 30-40 metres out from goal that I think that his decision making and kicking hurts RFC the most. Closer in or further out if he stays busy he is great.

His spekky and pass to Lynch in the 2nd quarter was the turning point IMO.

Thought he wasn't going to complete the mark after the initial attempt, but he kept his eyes on the ball all the way down.

And he quickly played on rather than go back and bask in the moment.

Reactions: 4 users
His spekky and pass to Lynch in the 2nd quarter was the turning point IMO.

Thought he wasn't going to complete the mark after the initial attempt, but he kept his eyes on the ball all the way down.

And he quickly played on rather than go back and bask in the moment.
Agree, I thought it was a huge momentum changer.

Worked his behind off. 58 pressure act points, third most for the Tigers. Great game.

1567852546940_G8O2D71NS.1-1.png

Reactions: 5 users
2 things impressed me last night:

The mark: yep great mark. After players take a speccy like that they often go back and consider their options. He took the speccy, got up quickly, played on and spotted the perfect target right near goal, and delivered it just right. Great play. I rate the vision and the pass as even better than the mark.

The shepherd: ball gets tapped on down the field, Rioli is running in to an open goal. Bolton had a choice. He could have let Rioli run on and likely kick a goal; he could have run down and asked for a handpass to get a goal for himself; or he could support Rioli who was in the best position to goal and make very sure Rioli would get the goal. He did the team thing, to the extent that Rioli fumbled but had so much time to recover and kick the goal. Great reading of the situation and very much the right decision.

He plays like this and he is a huge asset.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
He ain't getting to West Coast via the PSD that's for sure. Anyone see 15 other teams bypassing him?
Not the point.
Would you prefer he goes into the pre season draft n he goes to Mould Coast or Carlscum for nil return or we trade him to the Frockers or Wet Coke and we get some sort of return on our investment in him over the last three years?
That's assuming of course that Shai wants to pack up n leave in the first place.

2 things impressed me last night:

The mark: yep great mark. After players take a speccy like that they often go back and consider their options. He took the speccy, got up quickly, played on and spotted the perfect target right near goal, and delivered it just right. Great play. I rate the vision and the pass as even better than the mark.

The shepherd: ball gets tapped on down the field, Rioli is running in to an open goal. Bolton had a choice. He could have let Rioli run on and likely kick a goal; he could have run down and asked for a handpass to get a goal for himself; or he could support Rioli who was in the best position to goal and make very sure Rioli would get the goal. He did the team thing, to the extent that Rioli fumbled but had so much time to recover and kick the goal. Great reading of the situation and very much the right decision.

He plays like this and he is a huge asset.

DS
Great points, David. I think more than any other team, we typify the team first ethos. This is an illustration of it.

If the preliminary final is in the wet, I wouldn’t play him.
His best games this year have been on dry tracks.