Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Not the point.
Would you prefer he goes into the pre season draft n he goes to Mould Coast or Carlscum for nil return or we trade him to the Frockers or Wet Coke and we get some sort of return on our investment in him over the last three years?
That's assuming of course that Shai wants to pack up n leave in the first place.

He won't be going via the PSD, that's my point, I was backing up your statement. Been pretty well documented if he wants to leave he wants to get back home and West Coast would be the destination. No way possible he gets there via the PSD. A suitable trade is the only logical way. We hold a few good cards if he wants to go there. I don't think he will leave and definitely not to go to Carlton.

He won't be going via the PSD, that's my point, I was backing up your statement. Been pretty well documented if he wants to leave he wants to get back home and West Coast would be the destination. No way possible he gets there via the PSD. A suitable trade is the only logical way. We hold a few good cards if he wants to go there. I don't think he will leave and definitely not to go to Carlton.

Why would WC be his only destination if he wanted to go home?
I think I read somewhere that he was a dockers supporter as a kid. Didnt his old man play a few games for them?

His spekky and pass to Lynch in the 2nd quarter was the turning point IMO.
I noticed the AFL website’s 3 “turning point” moments all started with Shai.

My conspiracy hat says Ralph Carr is getting the media to help him pump up his client’s reputation.

Whatever we call it, it’s great how his temperament was a force for good when the heat was on.

Something about Shai reminds me of Dusty.

He seems to have that kind of ego where he’s either a superstar or he’s nothing, and moments like that help him tell himself the narrative of the former.

I would expect Bolton to develop tremendously from this point onwards.

He’s now proven to be influential in a final (albeit with slightly more praise than what is worthy for the action, but we’ll take it).

Posters in here were very clear when we drafted him that he was very young and immature at first. Sky is the limit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
2 things impressed me last night:

The mark: yep great mark. After players take a speccy like that they often go back and consider their options. He took the speccy, got up quickly, played on and spotted the perfect target right near goal, and delivered it just right. Great play. I rate the vision and the pass as even better than the mark.

The shepherd: ball gets tapped on down the field, Rioli is running in to an open goal. Bolton had a choice. He could have let Rioli run on and likely kick a goal; he could have run down and asked for a handpass to get a goal for himself; or he could support Rioli who was in the best position to goal and make very sure Rioli would get the goal. He did the team thing, to the extent that Rioli fumbled but had so much time to recover and kick the goal. Great reading of the situation and very much the right decision.

He plays like this and he is a huge asset.

DS

Spot on. 12 months ago he runs for the cheapie. Evolution.

Really worked into the game with the other smalls after a slow start where all three barely had a touch in Q1 , was quite lively and grew in confidence as did dan and George , we look so much more dangerous when these guys are up and about

Why would WC be his only destination if he wanted to go home?
I think I read somewhere that he was a dockers supporter as a kid. Didnt his old man play a few games for them?

Don't know but it was reported that West Coast were chasing him and had put an offer on the table. But even Fremantle would require 5 teams to pass 9n him before getting to them in the PSD draft.

Don't know but it was reported that West Coast were chasing him and had put an offer on the table. But even Fremantle would require 5 teams to pass 9n him before getting to them in the PSD draft.

So plenty could still eventuate come trade week.WC mightn't be the option if he wanted to head back west.
I wasn't really contemplating the psd. I couldn't see that ever happening in Shai's case

Couldn't see on TV but I bet the players headed for him before Rioli. If that becomes part of his game he will be a star.

yeah they did. He definitely got more love from his teammates than Danny for that goal.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys. He's not leaving. Why would you. We just have to dance with The Merkin.

Shai was brilliant last night. Can't wait to see him on a dry September day at the G.

Reactions: 7 users
WTF. More than happy to keep Shai, he's got some serious talent. But if he wants to leave than we trade him, simple. Pre season draft my arse.
Disagree. If he elects a club and we follow the course of other clubs we will wind up watching him play well against us for the next 12 plus years. Far prefer to get nothing and have him play out his career on the Gold Coast.

So plenty could still eventuate come trade week.WC mightn't be the option if he wanted to head back west.
I wasn't really contemplating the psd. I couldn't see that ever happening in Shai's case

Sure. Sorry I think the context of my original reply to a comment has been lost along the way.

Reactions: 1 user

Shai was brilliant last night. Can't wait to see him on a dry September day at the G.
The Merkin knows this is the best place for Shai to be. The biggest club in the land where the commercial exposure is huge.

The Merkin is just doing his job. Maximising his clients return. Good on him.

Reactions: 2 users

Ralph has a gift.

$hai could sign a deal this week for $50k a year more than last week.

$hai will be champing at the bit to sign. He'll be walking past balmys office spinning a pen.

But Ralph will have a coffee date with $hai on Wednesday, and say to him

'steady on son. you made yourself about a hundred and fifty grand with that mark on Saturday night. eye on the prize lil' bruz. You just keep your twitch fibres twitching, get to bed early, do that *smile* on the G, help the tigers win the flag, and you're set. trust me'

and $hai will go

'yeah. OK'

and then walk past balmy office with his pen.

Reactions: 5 users
Just saw Daniel Rioli walking out of Ralph Carr's office on Lennox St.
Hopefully he has left Shai in there to sign a new deal.

Daniel was walking with no limp by the way, so ankle doesn't look to be troubling him.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Just saw Daniel Rioli walking out of Ralph Carr's office on Lennox St.
Hopefully he has left Shai in there to sign a new deal.

Daniel was walking with no limp by the way, so ankle doesn't look to be troubling him.

Don't tell me Daniel is joining the Ralph stable, that is all we need:eek: