Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
I predicted 30+ and 3 goals.

Not far off !!

What a superstar. Clubs are going to offer him the world.

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
He'd be worth 5 first rounders on the currency that Kelly, Beams and Cameron attracted.

Reactions: 2 users

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
What a jet - sign him up quick. WA sides will be offering their first born for this kid.

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
When it comes to raw breathtaking game breaking ability , Shai may well be the only player in the league that is good enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Dustin Martin .

Big call, but inside outside goal kicking midfielders are a very rare breed

puts bums on seats this bloke .

taraba

Eat em alive!!!
Jul 27, 2004
Planet Earth
I am slightly concerned about his rising value. He’s going to command top dollar and rightly so. Amazing player.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Gotta be about time he stuck one of those marks, all that leaping n flapping about n then he's gotta recover n win his own ground ball. Making way too much hard work of it all.

Kid is one breath taking footballer. Moves like a prima ballerina while the rest of them are doing doof doof n head bangin.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
When it comes to raw breathtaking game breaking ability , Shai may well be the only player in the league that is good enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Dustin Martin .

Big call, but inside outside goal kicking midfielders are a very rare breed

puts bums on seats this bloke .
Apparently Shai Bolton is the only player that Dusty doesn’t get offended by any comparison

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Thought was really hard to pick the bests last night, until I had a second look , Shai got my bog with the 3 crucial goals

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Lest we forget.
Ranking the top 10 defenders since 2010

By Ed Carmine
zerohanger.com
27 April 2021

1. Alex Rance (185 games)

With five All-Australian blazers, a B&F, as well as a premiership medal in 2017, even if his cocksure personality may grate you, there is no denying Alex Rance’s status as the past decade’s premier defender.

Across his 11 seasons at Tigerland, the former first round draft pick averaged more than 16 disposals, five marks and seven one-percenters per game, proving the Western Australian backman was adept at both winning the football and raining on his opponent’s parade.

Although injuries curtailed his career, it would take a bolt from the blue to dethrone the terrific Tiger as the best defender since 2010.

Highlights:

2. Jeremy McGovern (144 games)
3. Corey Enright (157 games)
4. Josh Gibson (160 games)
5. Shannon Hurn (232 games)
6. Harris Andrews (119 games)

7. Dylan Grimes (177 games)

Despite being seen as one of the best contemporary defenders in the game, Dylan Grimes’ early years at Tigerland bore little fruit.

Although the Northern Knights product made his debut in the final round of the 2010 season, it would take him a further four years before cementing his place in Damian Hardwick’s 22.

Still, like a cellared sangiovese, Grimes has only gotten better with age.

Having played the entirety of his career within the bounds of this list’s criteria, the 29-year-old was an obvious choice for our catalogue, due to his three premiership medallions, his All-Australian blazer in 2019 and his ability to lead such a successful back six.

8. Harry Taylor (237 games)
9. Heath Shaw (233 games)
10. Robert Murphy (145 games)

Thanks for sharing that clip @Dont Argue

I hadn’t seen it before.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I am slightly concerned about his rising value. He’s going to command top dollar and rightly so. Amazing player.
Obviously not helpful when you have blokes like Brereton saying the WA clubs should offer him whatever it takes...... Much prefer Dermot's more sensible assessment of our group as role players and waddlers.

Reactions: 1 user

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
This guy is going to cost us a pretty packet to re-sign.
He will be worth it.

Every single time we ask this kid to step up and do more, he sees the benchmark and passes it. What an inspired draft choice he was.
Match winner right here.