Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
He’s on super star trajectory.
Think we’ve failed to convince him that the one after next contract extension is the big payday.
Hope we’ve got the funds to keep him.

He’s no Alex Rance.
At the moment he’s playing more like Ray Hall.
So you must've missed Rance's performance in the preliminary final.
Or the day Harry Taylor bent him over.
When Rance had bad days he wasn't Ray Hall, he was Johnny Manton like.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
2017 redo if we picked Allen at 17 and not Balta at 25.

With the 25th pick Richmond draft Charlie Spargo (Or Charlie Constable)

But yeah I believe Balta played most of his junior and even early Reserves career as a forward, so if he hit it up forward early and was kicking a few, then we'd probably have not even brought in Lynch end of 2018 with Jack R and Noah doing the job up front. Swings and roundabouts, we ain't going to bad lately in the drafting and free agent caper :)
Our best result would have been
Allen,Balta,Taylor

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
You’re boring.
You must have only ever seen Rance play once.
Obviously missed his 5 AA years.
Come up with another stupid story to amuse us

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
If you listen to the interview Ralph was the one that convinced Dusty and his old man that he could make up the $2 million difference in contract offer in marketing and sponsorship if Dusty stayed at Richmond.
With Dusty getting all the sponsorship dollars already in Ralphy's stable not sure he could promise the same for Shai so a substantial difference in contract offer could become an issue?
At the same time Carr knows Shai staying at Richmond is marketable , We have more games on TV and more exposure as well as membership
going to west coast / freo is a smaller market and big companies will always concentrate on melb market.

Ralph knows that Shai's next contract is the 'pay day' not this contract

IMO Shai will sign for $500k-$550k 2/3 years but other clubs will have $700k on the table

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Reckon he's been given a bad wrap on here personally. Think he's just been looking out for the best interests of his clients rather than trying to push them to move.
Agree, pretty sure if he was that bad a bloke, he would have convinced Dusty to take the Nawf money and run? We've got three I know of his clients on our books, so can't be too bad.

Reactions: 1 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Brisbane had 1, 15 & 18 so they blew the 2017 draft as well. In hindsight it's great to say we should have drafted....Insert name....instead of...Insert name.

As much as I luv a good draft (NFL one in a few days Go Niners!), drafting is still a crap shot as there's no science in how someone's trajectory will go up or down once going up to the next level.

And the worst thing is the best talent get to go to the worst run clubs, if that club suddenly brings in a good admin, coaches, happy environment they've got a shot at achieving their talent but if it stays the same they're running on a log in the middle of the ocean - nowhere.

And then the other thing is that kid's mental capabilities and strengths as well. Does he want it and how bad? I worked with two ex-Bombers played under Sheedy, one did all the right things to get a game and played over 100 AFL games from memory. He was a robot and focused a lot.

The other fella just has a photo from the paper running alongside Tim Watson at training to show for his Essendoom career, zero AFL games to his name. He admits 100% he blew it with 'hindsight', he was just 18 but not serious about his footy. And tells a good story of being up in Sydney for a practice game and doing a joint and puffing the smoke out his hotel window with a teammate.

So U draft the first guy, lucky you. You draft the second guy, you don't even know you should already be planning next year's draft on his replacement.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Don’t think West Coast can afford him and may not have the picks to get it done either.

Freo maybe. I would argue though that it’s a minimum two first round draft pick deal and one at least in the top ten.

Unless some other club comes along with big money but surely he wouldn’t leave to go to Carlton or Hawthorn or somewhere like that would he?

Thinking about it also makes me wonder how Geelong got three first round picks for Tim Kelly? Thats ludicrous.
Ess and haw you’d think would both have gaps in tpp , given where our list is at I reckon our offer would be close enough to market value given we have big contracts finishing this year and next

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

Bit like Castagna hey!

When he has bad days he is Michael Laffy like.

I'll wager that in 100 games Castagna has had 20 times as many dud games as Rance did across his 200 games.

• Haha

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Bit like Castagna hey!

When he has bad days he is Michael Laffy like.

I'll wager that in 100 games Castagna has had 20 times as many dud games as Rance did across his 200 games.
You’re being very generous with Castagna, Streak.
With all due respect, he’s not fit to be included in the same conversation as Rance

• Haha

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Lest we forget.
Ranking the top 10 defenders since 2010

By Ed Carmine
zerohanger.com
27 April 2021

1. Alex Rance (185 games)

With five All-Australian blazers, a B&F, as well as a premiership medal in 2017, even if his cocksure personality may grate you, there is no denying Alex Rance’s status as the past decade’s premier defender.

Across his 11 seasons at Tigerland, the former first round draft pick averaged more than 16 disposals, five marks and seven one-percenters per game, proving the Western Australian backman was adept at both winning the football and raining on his opponent’s parade.

Although injuries curtailed his career, it would take a bolt from the blue to dethrone the terrific Tiger as the best defender since 2010.

Highlights:

2. Jeremy McGovern (144 games)
3. Corey Enright (157 games)
4. Josh Gibson (160 games)
5. Shannon Hurn (232 games)
6. Harris Andrews (119 games)

7. Dylan Grimes (177 games)

Despite being seen as one of the best contemporary defenders in the game, Dylan Grimes’ early years at Tigerland bore little fruit.

Although the Northern Knights product made his debut in the final round of the 2010 season, it would take him a further four years before cementing his place in Damian Hardwick’s 22.

Still, like a cellared sangiovese, Grimes has only gotten better with age.

Having played the entirety of his career within the bounds of this list’s criteria, the 29-year-old was an obvious choice for our catalogue, due to his three premiership medallions, his All-Australian blazer in 2019 and his ability to lead such a successful back six.

8. Harry Taylor (237 games)
9. Heath Shaw (233 games)
10. Robert Murphy (145 games)

Last edited:
  • Love

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Played the Dusty role. Weapon. In the air and on the ground.

Untouchable.

Reactions: 3 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
F me Jon Ralph is a *smile*. Opens with Bolton is worth 800k a year and the Tigers can’t afford to pay him that. What a *smile*