Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
This might sound silly but is this guy underrated by the afl community? Kid is an absolute superstar in the making - if not already is. He is only 23!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
After Fridays performance at Optus from Shai you can damn well bet London to a brick he is alongside Luke Jackson in their top targets to bring home to the Eagles.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
He’s one of those blokes who can seemingly make time stop around him. He got it a couple of times last night and was able to watch everyone else move around him and hold onto the pill until he decided what he wanted to do.
It's one of those weird things about modern footy. So many players peel off from the ball carrier n try to cover the possible options further down the field, then usually get caught in no mans land. No pressure on the ball carrier n too far from the next option to have any influence so the passage of play generally becomes a coast to coast run. Shai just happens to be extremely crafty in these situations n is more than happy to prop with time n space all around him and simply wait for the best option to unfurl in front of him. Most players will simply continue charging forward n have to rush their disposal or not have the options opening up for them.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
It's one of those weird things about modern footy. So many players peel off from the ball carrier n try to cover the possible options further down the field, then usually get caught in no mans land. No pressure on the ball carrier n too far from the next option to have any influence so the passage of play generally becomes a coast to coast run. Shai just happens to be extremely crafty in these situations n is more than happy to prop with time n space all around him and simply wait for the best option to unfurl in front of him. Most players will simply continue charging forward n have to rush their disposal or not have the options opening up for them.

I'm confused:confused::unsure:, don't you think he is selfish?

By your own admission you have said it before and no doubt will say it again.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
This might sound silly but is this guy underrated by the afl community? Kid is an absolute superstar in the making - if not already is. He is only 23!

I'm sure I'm gonna get smashed for this, but when was the last time Bolton destroyed an opposition team in a big game? He beat up on a garbage west coast but was unsighted against the reigning premiers the week before. I don’t recall him ever having a big game in a final. Last year when Dusty went down, we were all hoping he would step up, but he didn’t.

I love the kid, but sometimes I think people get a bit caught up in his highlights reel. Shai Bolton is not Dusty. Not even close.

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
I'm sure I'm gonna get smashed for this, but when was the last time Bolton destroyed an opposition team in a big game? He beat up on a garbage west coast but was unsighted against the reigning premiers the week before. I don’t recall him ever having a big game in a final. Last year when Dusty went down, we were all hoping he would step up, but he didn’t.

I love the kid, but sometimes I think people get a bit caught up in his highlights reel. Shai Bolton is not Dusty. Not even close.
You have a short memory

Shai has Gary Ayres votes and Norm Smith medal votes

You need to lift

Reactions: 6 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I think BinMan was simply trying to hose down the comparison with dusty. No one in history has done it on the big stage as consistently as dusty. Shai has some nice cameos on the big stage but no dusty like stuff as yet.

But binman should not forget Shai is only 23 and 74 games young. He's still improving.

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

people are getting a little carried away after he dominated a game against EDFL standard opposition, but you are being a little harsh. he got 3 brownlow votes in the last game of 2020- a win which move us up to 3rd and gave us the double chance. his final series was pretty good to, without being amazing.

you are right though, he is no Dusty. but as MD says, no one is.

Reactions: 2 users

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
After Fridays performance at Optus from Shai you can damn well bet London to a brick he is alongside Luke Jackson in their top targets to bring home to the Eagles.
Not sure about that. Think WCE will be very wary after destroying their short term list giving up 2 first rounders for Kelly think they will very wary paying overs again given the state of their list going forward

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
You have a short memory

Shai has Gary Ayres votes and Norm Smith medal votes

You need to lift

I stand by my words, as harsh as it is. Shai is not at big game player at this point of his career. I hope that changes.

16 disposals in the 2020 GF and ranked 7th on the ground. but honestly, i can’t remember anything he did on the day except for the long kick to Lynch in the last quarter.

11 disposals in the 2019 GF and ranked 31st on the ground.

FYI, I actually had to google the what the Ayres Medal was. Never heard of it.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I'm confused:confused::unsure:, don't you think he is selfish?

By your own admission you have said it before and no doubt will say it again.
Pretty sure the terminology was that Shai has bursts where he tries to do it all himself when he doesn't need to, n yep I just said it again. Call it selfish, yep at times he is n plenty of the best players are. Thing is to pick the right moments to be selfish n then make sure you bloody execute when you do.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I stand by my words, as harsh as it is. Shai is not at big game player at this point of his career. I hope that changes.

16 disposals in the 2020 GF and ranked 7th on the ground. but honestly, i can’t remember anything he did on the day except for the long kick to Lynch in the last quarter.

11 disposals in the 2019 GF and ranked 31st on the ground.

FYI, I actually had to google the what the Ayres Medal was. Never heard of it.
They probably should rename the Ayres Medal to the Dustin Martin Medal. He’s won 3 of them.