Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Wants to get the laugh off his menu when butchers a sitter. Just not a good look.

Reactions: 5 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Maybe the game he had to have to stay humble.
Was Shai of old tonight.
Saying that could have easily kicked 6.

Mantikorr

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006
Wants to get the laugh off his menu when butchers a sitter. Just not a good look.
Yep that really pissed me off. Game in the balance. A little bit of frustration or anger at himself should be the response there, not laugh it off. Lucky we got the result or people would be taking a very different tune here

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Love to live life like this bloke. Does not give a *smile*. Oozes talent. Perhaps it’s all too easy for him and he’s bored?

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Meh kicked 5 behinds. Yeah he had a *smile* night in front of goal but he still makes things happen out of nothing.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Worst on ground.

Had a few of those in the middle of last year too.

Needs to learn how to go back to basics when things aren't going his way, rather than go for extra x factor.

He burned a lot of team mates tonight. Unrichmondlike.

Didn't like his game tonight. Selfish footy IMO. I thought he'd got the vast majority of that out of his game but he let it back in in a big way tonight.

You are totally right he burned a lot of his team mates tonight and it probably cost us at least 2 goals without adding on his poor kicking at goal. He was the difference tonight between a 2 goal win and what could have been a 6-7 goal win.

Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Didn't like his game tonight. Selfish footy IMO. I thought he'd got the vast majority of that out of his game but he let it back in in a big way tonight.

You are totally right he burned a lot of his team mates tonight and it probably cost us at least 2 goals without adding on his poor kicking at goal. He was the difference tonight between a 2 goal win and what could have been a 6-7 goal win.
Agree with much of that. He’s a super talent. Some elite attributes. Always wanted him in the side when he first started with us in the VFL pending getting a tank. Which he’s now developed quite well.

But this year he’s writing cheques he can’t cash and burning team mates. Been caught holding the ball doing that little bit too much this year and executing with fancy across the body and dribble kicks when a simple drop punt will do.

Ok, you don’t wanna stifle his natural flair and talent …. but just make it a tad simpler please Shai and everything will be sweet.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Meh kicked 5 behinds. Yeah he had a *smile* night in front of goal but he still makes things happen out of nothing.
It wasn't the kicking that was the issue. I haven’t seen the replay, so it may not have been as obvious on TV, but the issue was horrible decision making.

For at least 3 of his behinds, he has one or two team mates steaming forward ahead of the ball in easy handball position.

He's a genuine star, but played like he had to be the match winner.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
But he's not maximising his talent for the team. He's got some freakish ability, much like Mr Martin in many ways. But dusty has always got the balance between individual brilliance and teamwork right. And he's earnt the right to do whatever he wants whenever he wants on a footy field. Shai hasn't.

Shai was *smile*.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
For a guy with exquisite skills and talent his goal kicking is decidedly average. George is a better shot, both set shot and snapping. I'd prefer almost anyone else in our side with a set shot to Shai.

Add to it his petulance towards umpires and he's got a lot of growth to go.

Imagine if he can get those aspects out of his game, he'd be a Top 5 player in the game. Maybe Top 3. Maybe No.1?

Reactions: 1 user

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Shai gets off the chain and it's impressive ... but not when it becomes only about him

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I've been a little critical of him in the past, but I don't think this is the game that warrants it that much. As Dimma said post-match, he was getting into the right spots. If he kicks 3.2, he's probably been our best player. Having said that, I'll never understand why smart players like he and Riewoldt do those stupid dribble kicks.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Reckon we can be a bit harsh on Shai , I think we the Tiger faithful have unrealistic expectations on him , because of he’s second to none agility , leap and general all around exciting way he plays the game we talk of him as a superstar, imho he’s not that he’s bloody good and a huge part of our team , however he is far from elite with his kicking and defensive play and still has large parts of games where he goes missing .

Its a fine line with his hungriness around goal and taking best option, probably needs to have a chat with Jack .