Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The worst snap shot in the side. Kicks the ball way too high on snaps, rarely kicks them.
An off night for the burgeoning champ.
Yep frustrates me no end. 20 metres out and he tries to kick the cover off it. The ball goes 60m in the air and drifts and generally misses. The 50m penalties he gives away are alos terribly frustrating.

He is a brilliant player but has some areas he really needs to work on.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Yep frustrates me no end. 20 metres out and he tries to kick the cover off it. The ball goes 60m in the air and drifts and generally misses. The 50m penalties he gives away are alos terribly frustrating.

He is a brilliant player but has some areas he really needs to work on.
I'll say big change in maturity from when he becomes a father soon.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I wonder if whatever Shai's carrying is hampering him a bit now. Was it his hip?

No centre clearances in the last 2 games and I don't remember him being in there a lot. Does anyone have CBA numbers for him in the last 2 games? He only had 1 inside 50 too, so shows he was playing a lot deeper in the forward line last night.

He definitely needs to sort out the undisciplined 50's he is going away, but just wondering if the rest of his game is being impacted by whatever niggle he has. If so, then maybe the bye is coming at a great time for him.

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I wonder if whatever Shai's carrying is hampering him a bit now. Was it his hip?

No centre clearances in the last 2 games and I don't remember him being in there a lot. Does anyone have CBA numbers for him in the last 2 games? He only had 1 inside 50 too, so shows he was playing a lot deeper in the forward line last night.

He definitely needs to sort out the undisciplined 50's he is going away, but just wondering if the rest of his game is being impacted by whatever niggle he has. If so, then maybe the bye is coming at a great time for him.
Well I did report that Shai was managed for both training sessions this week and hardly did any drills so something was up, hope a bye can do the trick and it is not ongoing for year.

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Yet more evidence to debunk any inconsistency theory from Shai and I am telling you he is not playing at 100% fitness which I have continually reported and may explain less midfield time the last couple of weeks?
Not at training again today.

Reactions: 4 users

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
That list makes a pretty good case for Cotch staying on for another year.

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Not easy to pick out exactly what is wrong with Shai, but with Dion returning from injury and Dusty just easing himself back, you would think that more not less midfield time would be on his plate.
And he is usually a very enthusiastic trainer.
Shorty's progress is helpful but something is not quite right.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Don't see it myself. We have two other greats who are in the same boat. Reaction time, speed and athleticism have slowed significantly in each case.
No value in allowing them to take up space when older types struggle especially against strong teams, and while younger players are deserving of their chance but are confined to the VFL.
I'd add Tarrant to this list but in any event he looks likely to be next years Caddy.

Last edited:

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Don't see it myself. We have two other greats who are in the same boat. Reaction time, speed and athleticism have slowed significantly in each case.
No value in allowing them to take up space when older types struggle especially against strong teams, and while younger players are deserving of their chance but are confined to the VFL.
I'd add Tarrant to this list but in any event he looks likely to be next years Caddy.
Don't see what?:unsure:

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Apologies Julius.
Hit the wrong button. Actually intending to respond to the post about Cotchin playing on.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Yet more evidence to debunk any inconsistency theory from Shai and I am telling you he is not playing at 100% fitness which I have continually reported and may explain less midfield time the last couple of weeks?
Not at training again today.

Shai was ready to explode but in recent weeks he’s been hampered.
No doubt an inability to train due to some physical issue you’ve reported for the last month is restricting his output.
Hope the bye enables him to settle whatever is troubling him down as it’s a long season.
Is a great player who can play better

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Worst on ground.

Had a few of those in the middle of last year too.

Needs to learn how to go back to basics when things aren't going his way, rather than go for extra x factor.

He burned a lot of team mates tonight. Unrichmondlike.

Reactions: 6 users