Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Maybe; it's worth a try. What he is doing now is not working and costing us games.

Even just work on his drop punts from straight in front. Practice makes perfect. His goal kicking errors are becoming endemic.
I would suggest that the club has been working on it ever since he got to the club.

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
I just don’t get the whole leaving Shai up forward for most of the game premise. Should be 70/30 with midfield being 70. The bloke is a jet and I reckon he wouldn’t be happy not being a midfielder. Same as Dusty, should still be playing lots of midfield minutes. Cotchy still has 10 minutes of hardcore midfield a qtr in him. Let’s use our assests, especially now we arnt so dependant on the old firm. Let the natural forwards play in the forward line, like Cumberland

Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I just don’t get the whole leaving Shai up forward for most of the game premise. Should be 70/30 with midfield being 70. The bloke is a jet and I reckon he wouldn’t be happy not being a midfielder. Same as Dusty, should still be playing lots of midfield minutes. Cotchy still has 10 minutes of hardcore midfield a qtr in him. Let’s use our assests, especially now we arnt so dependant on the old firm. Let the natural forwards play in the forward line, like Cumberland
Not sure he has the tank to do 70/30. Think 50/50 might be his max.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Great player & one of our best tonight. Makes the freakish look simple. unfortunately makes the simple look freakish too. Still I think he's an absolute talent.
Fact is his ineptitude in kicking simple goals is costing us games. He needs to be better. He is has too much talent to miss those goals. Geez even if he had scored a point with that stupid banana kick we win the game.

He has to be held to a higher account. You want the bouquets? You gotta cop the brickbats.

Reactions: 5 users

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Awful game tonight.
Lazy shots at goal..dumb 50 give aways...he can be a great highlughts reel but useless at meat n potatoes style good basic footy.....
Thought he squibbed a couple of contests tonight. Hadn't noticed that before...

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Fact is his ineptitude in kicking simple goals is costing us games. He needs to be better. He is has too much talent to miss those goals. Geez even if he had scored a point with that stupid banana kick we win the game.

He has to be held to a higher account. You want the bouquets? You gotta cop the brickbats.
Yeah I'm glass half full with Shai.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Surely 5+ years in the system, he has tank to play 70% midfield? Especially when his defensive chasing ain’t exactly ball busting.
Not necessarily. Not everyone has a big aerobic tank. And in his case, it’s never been that great. He got told in 2018 to lift his capacity big time which he did to his credit, (2017 VFL GF he was throwing up everywhere) but you’ll still often see him gassed. He’s ok, but not the level you need to be to play 70/30 I dont think and all the constant 2 way running you need to make. Don’t see him playing the same level of time as your Tarranto’s etc who just never stop.

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
It's official he's a poor set shot & laconic kick for goal. Apart from that can do what many most can't.
Yes but it's a bit like a golfer who smashes it 300 yards up the guts but misses 3 foot putts all the time. No point lasering one to 3 foot from the pin if you can't make the putt.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Yes but it's a bit like a golfer who smashes it 300 yards up the guts but misses 3 foot putts all the time. No point lasering one to 3 foot from the pin if you can't make the putt.
Don't really get the analogy sorry mate. Would you say the same about Cotch who also has a weakness in that one area of his game?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Don't really get the analogy sorry mate. Would you say the same about Cotch who also has a weakness in that one area of his game?
Completely different players. Shai is far more dynamic than Cotch who is reliable as far as the day is long. Just keeps going and going and crashing and bashing. Never gives in. Yeah he is not a great set shot either but he is, or was, a pure midfielder. He doesn't get 20% of the scoring opportunities Shai does; because of the roles they play. Shai does some unbelievable and mercurial stuff but he lets himself down with his inability to kick the most very basic of goals. Like that one tonight in the last quarter.

I would have backed Cotch to kick that goal. It was 20m out dead in front. Piece of p1ss. At least he would have kicked a drop punt and not the ridiculous around the corner kick where your margin for error to miskick the ball is so much higher. If you're gonna kick it like that from that spot you damn well better kick the goal.

Reactions: 5 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Not meaning to snip but you're a braver man than me. Don't disagree they're very different players but set shot goal kicking is a weakness of both.

Shai is a star. He creates a truckload of goals too.
You're a much better chance of kicking that goal with a drop punt. Cotch would have gone the drop punt. Reckon he kicks it from that easy distance but I don't disagree with you that overall he is not a good set shot.

Just listened to Dimma's presser. He gave Shai a bit of a clip over that missed goal. Said if he you are gonna kick the screw punt from there you better kick the goal. It wasn't over the top critical at all but it was fair and certainly warranted.

But yes Shai does create a lot; he's a very good player. Just wish he could finish better. If he kept it simpler he probably would.

Tigermad2005

Tiger Legend
Aug 18, 2004
Ballarat
Completely different players. Shai is far more dynamic than Cotch who is reliable as far as the day is long. Just keeps going and going and crashing and bashing. Never gives in. Yeah he is not a great set shot either but he is, or was, a pure midfielder. He doesn't get 20% of the scoring opportunities Shai does; because of the roles they play. Shai does some unbelievable and mercurial stuff but he lets himself down with his inability to kick the most very basic of goals. Like that one tonight in the last quarter.

I would have backed Cotch to kick that goal. It was 20m out dead in front. Piece of p1ss. At least he would have kicked a drop punt and not the ridiculous around the corner kick where your margin for error to miskick the ball is so much higher. If you're gonna kick it like that from that spot you damn well better kick the goal.
When he goes back to do the around the corner kicks he does not go back far enough off the mark.
That is why his kicks go so high and he is been closed down to fast. If he goes back no issue.

Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
When he goes back to do the around the corner kicks he does not go back far enough off the mark.
That is why his kicks go so high and he is been closed down to fast. If he goes back no issue.
Spot on. He kicks the ball way too high and creates more margin for error than there should be. His high ball drop also creates additional margin for error.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
What a star this kid is.
That said his misses are infuriating.
I think Jackmond needs to do some one on one tutorials with him.
Jack rarely misses the around the corner set shot. Seems to have a wonderful routine and gets good loop on the ball.
Shai's seem to go into outer space they go so high.
Did he also cost us the Geel win last year with a botched around the corner as well IIRC?