Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Quote from Mathew Clarke about Shai:

“His agility is amazing and he likes to jump on heads, but he probably won’t be allowed to do that"

Why the hell not? I for one would love to see Shai jump on heads. Maybe Dimma is applying the handbrake already ;D

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
caesar said:

“His agility is amazing and he likes to jump on heads, but he probably won’t be allowed to do that"

Why the hell not? I for one would love to see Shai jump on heads. Maybe Dimma is applying the handbrake already ;D

Hopefully Clarke was just having a laugh Caesar. *crosses fingers*

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
caesar said:

Sums up Dimma right there.

Mantikorr

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006
asian tetley said:
Certainly the most skilled.
Handy around goal, looks like he can make something out of nothing.
On the downside he's lightly built, and we have the go home factor to contend with should he turn out ok.

Not overly fussed about go home factor at pick 29; if he's any good we'd likely at least get that back. It's more of a concern if it's a top 10 pick as you'd struggle to get an equal value pick back

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
just watched his highlights & for a little bloke a couple of those goals from outside 50 were sensational

Reactions: 1 user

Blackcats

Tiger Cub
Mar 24, 2014
I don't think the go home factor will be there with Bolton, I read somewhere that he went to boarding school for 3 years prior to being drafted, I think Rioli was similar.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004

Dedicated WA talent Shai Bolton set to realise AFL dream

Dale Miller, PerthNow
November 22, 2016 3:48pm

RECRUITERS watching Shai Bolton have seen his speed and mercurial talent.

He is hoping they have also noticed his dedication.

An electric showing in this year’s inaugural under-18 All-Stars exhibition match has catapulted the 17-year-old into the frame as an early second-round selection in Friday’s national draft.

Bolton’s marking ability, explosive pace and tackling pressure have drawn comparisons to idol and Norm Smith medallist Cyril Rioli.

But the South Fremantle forward is at pains to point out he has the work ethic to go with his X-factor, saying he can survive the call of home that affects many young Aboriginal players drafted out of WA. The son of former Fremantle midfielder Darren Bolton, the teenager spent more than three years boarding away from family at Wesley College.

This year he made an 80-minute round journey from Mandurah at least three days a week for training at Fremantle Oval.

Having picked the brains of good friend and Carlton trade recruit Jarrod Pickett, Bolton knows to expect hours in the gym to prepare his light 178cm frame for the elite level.

“Obviously everyone’s going to get homesick now and then, but I’ll be able to deal with it,” Bolton said. “It’s pretty much been my dream since I was little to make the AFL.

“Mum always dropped me off at training and took me to games, but as soon as I turned 17 I ended up getting my licence. I didn’t want to rely on Mum any more.

“I drove up to Fremantle three days a week. I made sure I was at training early.”

An invitation to join the State under-18 academy program convinced Bolton he could make it in the AFL.

It was the boost of confidence he needed after being diagnosed with stress fractures in his back and being forced to sit out football for all of 2015.

“It was pretty tough, but I put all my effort into my recovery for my back,” Bolton said. “I’ve done everything I could to make myself right for this year.”

The diligence has been worth it. Bolton finished this year with a bang, booting four goals in each of his two colts finals for South Fremantle.

Then in the All-Stars match at Punt Road on grand final eve, Bolton collected 16 disposals, seven inside 50s and a goal. The performance prompted a string of calls from AFL clubs.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/dedicated-wa-talent-shai-bolton-set-to-realise-afl-dream/news-story/5b0b1ca2dfde99d85ca3d485365ce20e

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
caesar said:

Where was he quoted bud

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
A Peter Matera or McLeod type would be nice, he certainly has a bit of x factor about him.

E

easy_tiger

Dyer'ere said:

Dedicated WA talent Shai Bolton set to realise AFL dream

Ive got an extraordinaryily good feeling about $hai.

I was talking to snake after the Yaz loss.

snake goes 'were *smile* jinxed. our lucks gotta turn. Surely we'll jag a superstar soon?'

I reckon theres a good chance we mighta done it.

I reckon just the excitement at the base of your gut, after seeing 'DRioli Reiwoldt $hai' forward line in thursdays paper is worth the price of entry.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Althom said:
Genuine talent but not keen on a move away from WA. Major risk.

Shai himself begs to differ, (refer below):

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/dedicated-wa-talent-shai-bolton-set-to-realise-afl-dream/news-story/5b0b1ca2dfde99d85ca3d485365ce20e

But the South Fremantle forward is at pains to point out he has the work ethic to go with his X-factor, saying he can survive the call of home that affects many young Aboriginal players drafted out of WA. The son of former Fremantle midfielder
Darren Bolton, the teenager spent more than three years boarding away from family at Wesley College

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
nikolasmia said:
Where was he quoted bud

Here you go Niko:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-recruiting-boss-matt-clarke-is-confident-shai-bolton-can-play-for-the-tigers-in-round-1/news-story/3f6b64e4927205f5a043f103b0e97f9e

“His agility is amazing and he likes to jump on heads, but he probably won’t be allowed to do that. There are probably elements of Steven Motlop in what he can do - that ground ball twist and turn type of thing.”

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
easy said:
Ive got an extraordinaryily good feeling about $hai.

I was talking to snake after the Yaz loss.

snake goes 'were *smile*ing jinxed. our lucks gotta turn. Surely we'll jag a superstar soon?'

I reckon theres a good chance we mighta done it.

I reckon just the excitement at the base of your gut, after seeing 'DRioli Reiwoldt $hai' forward line in thursdays paper is worth the price of entry.

I think we had a great draft, e,t. Graham and Garthwaite are my top picks and I had Bolton one of four interesting players outside the top ten. More importantly Bully is a fan of at least two of them. ;D

I heart Shai Bolton.

BTW see the side changing? Rioli and Oleg joined by Bolton? Shame we didn't trade into this draft. Could've rebuilt our future this and next year. But I digress to a whinge.

I think we had a great draft. :love

tonemaster

Tiger Rookie
May 10, 2005
He's got really long arms. That's very important in an on-baller.

Long arms make players taller without the weight. Means they can be more agile, faster, and mark over their opponents who are the same height but don't have the reach.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Sounds like Clarke expects Shai to play back pocket :help
You dont try to curb X factor let the kid loose to play on instinct FFS
If we stop him playing his natural game that gives him reason to shop himself around

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
Tigertough1974 said:
Yep love this vanilla pick...

I think one x factor in Rioli isn't enough, if this kid can over time consistently output high quality and with Rioli, wow.... they could actually embarrass forward lines.. Still think over time Rioli will spend more time in the guts..

Love this pick, they said best available and whether we agree or not with Need most experts including our own junior gurus say he was best available!

Spot on.This bloke and Rioli running around together in the future could be delicious.

We were screaming out for small forwards a couple of seasons ago - well,problem fixed.