Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
CyOrzaiUcAAQmq8

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I was trying to feed my shy, elusive dingo'warrang' last night when his food bowl was mobbed by 2 waring packs of camp dogs. He glided out of trouble gracefully with his tongue hanging out with effortless pace. Had me thinking of shai's highlight reel. I'm thinking of renaming him.

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
JimJessTorp said:
Judging by that pic he'll be a shoe-in to rove from Rioli's taps outs :)
Yep it would be great to see them wax off each other like the Krakouer brothers. Sublime skills and tough footballers those two were.

E

easy_tiger

fastin bulbous said:
I was trying to feed my shy, elusive dingo'warrang' last night when his food bowl was mobbed by 2 waring packs of camp dogs. He glided out of trouble gracefully with his tongue hanging out with effortless pace. Had me thinking of shai's highlight reel. I'm thinking of renaming him.

theRes no way we're calling him Dingo Bolton FB.

Its $hai.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
spook said:
There's no guarantee he'll grow any taller, Turk. Not that it matters.

I disagree , Shai is 178cm and is only going to turn 18 in 2 weeks so he is 8 months younger than Daniel Rioli was when we drafted him

Danile Rioli & Shai Bolton are both exactly the same height with Shai being 3kgs heavier at the time of being drafted

If you have a look at the picture taken with Daniel today, you can clearly see that Daniel is at least 2-3cm taller than shai and shai would have just been measured at the combine recently.

Daniel Rioli looks to have grown around 3 cm since his combine and he was 8 months older,I would be extremely confident that a 17 year old has another 3/4cm left to grow until he is 20/21

I see both Shai & Daniel being 181/182cm and both around 77/79kgs when they are at 22/23 years old. Biys grow until they are 20/21

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Mate, people stop growing at different rates, there's no telling. Some are done at 15,some grow until they're 20.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
turk-d-tiger said:
I disagree , Shai is 178cm and is only going to turn 18 in 2 weeks so he is 8 months younger than Daniel Rioli was when we drafted him

I never grew after 18. I could be abnormal though, many have mentioned this to me.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
tigerlove said:
I never grew after 18. I could be abnormal though, many have mentioned this to me.

I grew at least 2-3 cm but patrick cripps grw something like 10 cm after he turned 18

Feb 25, 2007
Matiger said:
Hate to be a killjoy but I have serious reservations about this pick. It's almost as if they read PRE and have got the message that we are tired of vanilla plodders so they have done a complete 180 and taken the flashiest player out there.

He is a tiny 67 kilos and when he gets to AFL - everyone is fast and will be 20 kg heavier. Will he be able to get big enough? I hope so but he will probably be 5 years away from a serious impact

What r u on about flashy? Bolton is a gun the kid can play don't you worry about that, he's averaged 17 disposals and two goals a game and will have no problem with the transition into the AFL....
Rioli too is light didn't hold him back....kid is still 17, well turning 18 soon but now in the AFL system he will put on size.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
AstuteTiger said:
What r u on about flashy? Bolton is a gun the kid can play don't you worry about that, he's averaged 17 disposals and two goals a game and will have no problem with the transition into the AFL....
Rioli too is light didn't hold him back....kid is still 17, well turning 18 soon but now in the AFL system he will put on size.

For those that may be interested in viewing the AFL Draft Central assessments of Dan Rioli and Shai Bolton side by side it makes for interesting reading. Looking back you have to laugh that they said Dan needed to improve his defensive game. Wow! he was a chase down tackling machine and showed our more experienced players how it is done. Anyway looks like we have two highlight reels to look forward to not one.
PS: Dan was either 179 or 180cm when drafted depending on the source but what is a cm here or there.

https://afldraftcentral.com.au/2015/11/21/2015-draft-profile-daniel-rioli/

https://afldraftcentral.com.au/player/shai-bolton/

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
I would not be surprised if he starts out as a small forward but ends up playing as an outside mid or even in that loose man across half back role that we wanted Yarran to play.

Looks a really good get.

Reactions: 1 user