Pick 53: Jack Graham | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 53: Jack Graham

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I don’t get the hate for Graham. He’s only 22, had some pretty serious injuries in his short career yet has managed 45 games so far and played some pretty good ones amongst them too. Not quick as many point out, but has a serious tank and is able to roll from contest to contest all game long. His tackling and defensive pressure are also second to none in our side.

His form was trending up nicely last year but the shoulder injury and the cluster fudge that is 2020 have derailed him a bit. I look forward to seeing him back soon and hopefully regaining his form.

Reactions: 1 user

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
Understand him being dropped on form, but thought he might be kept in to run with Bontempelli tonight.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
22 disposals, 14 tackles, 8 inside 50s, 4 goals.

That was only 10 games ago for Jack. He has had another shoulder reconstruction since then and is only 22. Perspective needed. I wouldnt be throwing the towel in about him yet.

Reactions: 4 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014

That was only 10 games ago for Jack. He has had another shoulder reconstruction since then and is only 22. Perspective needed. I wouldnt be throwing the towel in about him yet.
Exactly. Without knowing the stats his tackling numbers are probably down this year, especially his tackling effectiveness because he would still be getting confidence and strength back into that dislocation. Same for Rioli, have not seen him sticking many tackles nor chasing as hard as he used to when his main game was forward pressure, not just kicking goals.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

That's an outlier for Graham. Not the norm.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Career average is under 15 disposals a game. He kicks a goal just over every second game. He averages less than 2 clearances a game. He averages just under 3 clangers a game. He gives away frees almost at the rate of 2 to 1.

People who say he's a tagger/run with player, can you point out (other than the ever glorious GF job on Sloane) some of his scalps? He's not a tagger in the De Boer/Curnow/Hewitt mould - who all get the ball more (esp contested ball) and use it better whilst also shutting down an opponent better.

Can't question his work ethic or committment and he is clearly popular with teammates but not sure what his future is as a tiger. He is only 22 but he moves like a 42 year old.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Always love him for being a part of the 2017 fairytale ,

My main concern with him apart from the shoulders , only young and looks at times like he is running in concrete boots

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Will always be a hero to me for his performances in the GF/PF teams, but I would be curious to see what the Crows would offer for him.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
That's an outlier for Graham. Not the norm.

He doesn't have a norm yet. He's 22 and has had a number of serious injuries.

Graham in finals
2017 QF 9 touches
2017 Prelim 14 touches
2017 GF 16 touches, 3 goals

2018 QF 7 touches
2018 Prelim 8 touches

2019 QF 14 touches

3 games with less than 10 disposals, and 2 with 14 disposals. None of those performances (barring the outlier 2017 GF) tell me he’s a finals footballer.

Rioli in finals

2017 QF - 0 Goals
2017 Prelim - 4 Goals
2017 GF - 0 Goals

2018 QF - 3 Goals
2018 PF - 0 Goals

2019 QF - 2 Goals
2019 Prelim 0 Goals
2019 GF - 1 Goal

4 finals of 0 goals, 3 finals of multiples. None of these are finals footballer stats either (barring 2017 prelim outlier)

Cox’s stats would show similar non-performance with an outlier.

Rioli and Graham are two role players riding the coattails of two one-off performances 3 years ago IMO.

What's the point in these stats? Rioli is a pressure forward that averages more than a goal a game across 8 finals? Do we have anyone better than that? Does any club?

Also, just conveniently ignoring Graham's prelim last year? Not that it would have mattered seeing you're making the totality of your judgement on disposals.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Crows will come knocking this year.
Premiership player (unlucky not to be dual) 22 years of age coming into his prime. We'll have pick one or the priority pick you get for Brad Crouch thanks Crows :mhihi

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
What's the point in these stats?
I outlined that already.

Also, just conveniently ignoring Graham's prelim last year?

I ignored it because he got 7 disposals in a game he played injured. It didn’t add anything.

Not that it would have mattered seeing you're making the totality of your judgement on disposals.

Im happy to not use stats and tell you that I don’t think Jack Graham is very good, if you like?

Hes an inside mid who struggles to win the ball. He’s got the speed of a turtle, and spends half his possession time fumbling the ball.

Is that better?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Premiership player (unlucky not to be dual) 22 years of age coming into his prime. We'll have pick one or the priority pick you get for Brad Crouch thanks Crows :mhihi
Looking at Richmond's recent form, a pick in the 50s will do it

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Confident that Graham will be back soon. Important to the way we play. high possession mids aren't what we're about.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Might be alone but reckon Graham is a big piece in our 2020 flag puzzle. The port game showed us that we need more grunt and a harder edge in the middle. Hoping he gets fit and comes good soon.

Reactions: 2 users

Tiger Hammer

Tiger Cub
Apr 3, 2014
Might be alone but reckon Graham is a big piece in our 2020 flag puzzle. The port game showed us that we need more grunt and a harder edge in the middle. Hoping he gets fit and comes good soon.
Yeah I like his toughness too. Hope he and the medical team can get that shoulder right. Then next step is to work on his leg speed!

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Confident that Graham will be back soon. Important to the way we play. high possession mids aren't what we're about.
It's a bit weird that 'possession' has become a dirty word around here. Sure, I know all about our 'pressure' game and it's what you do with the ball when you have it - like transferring to team-mates by hand and foot - ending with a converted goal, as distinct from behinds.
But hello, Poort beat us in all three last match except we were more efficient but they had a lot more shots/scores (28/17).

Other teams, like PA and even the Saints, have learnt to play our way, with high pressure. Even including a very lowly-ranked and young Freo side where new coach Logmuir just vanquished his master recently by out-pressuring and possessing the skunks, same for Dawks too.

As some teams have balanced up the pressure factor and speedy, attacking footy, of course possession is vital. That's Buckley, Clarkson et al's GP to beat us now: control the ball; use marking and precise kicking; convert to a leading score; flood and block to hold for a win. Geelong does this better than anyone now with heaps of defensive/offensive running by their pack of big, mobile mids.

Ever seen anyone score goals without the ball?

As all things are more equalised as above, now the other factors have become more vital: ball control and skilled disposal/use/efficiency. Really, any half-decent footballer can lay a tackle if they can just run and work out in a gym.

Get the ball; then use it optimally. You will struggle to beat the best teams in 2020 season ceding a heap of possession with shorter Qs. 2017 is 3 years ago too.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
It's a bit weird that 'possession' has become a dirty word around here. Sure, I know all about our 'pressure' game and it's what you do with the ball when you have it - like transferring to team-mates by hand and foot - ending with a converted goal, as distinct from behinds.
But hello, Poort beat us in all three last match except we were more efficient but they had a lot more shots/scores (28/17).

Other teams, like PA and even the Saints, have learnt to play our way, with high pressure. Even including a very lowly-ranked and young Freo side where new coach Logmuir just vanquished his master recently by out-pressuring and possessing the skunks, same for Dawks too.

As some teams have balanced up the pressure factor and speedy, attacking footy, of course possession is vital. That's Buckley, Clarkson et al's GP to beat us now: control the ball; use marking and precise kicking; convert to a leading score; flood and block to hold for a win. Geelong does this better than anyone now with heaps of defensive/offensive running by their pack of big, mobile mids.

Ever seen anyone score goals without the ball?

As all things are more equalised as above, now the other factors have become more vital: ball control and skilled disposal/use/efficiency. Really, any half-decent footballer can lay a tackle if they can just run and work out in a gym.

Get the ball; then use it optimally. You will struggle to beat the best teams in 2020 season ceding a heap of possession with shorter Qs. 2017 is 3 years ago too.
2019 was just last year. Until we are totally exposed and falling down the ladder I want us to continue our style of play that's proven to be so successful. It's what differentiates us from the others.

People were worried that teams had "figured us out" last year after we lost to North by 37 points in rd 11, lost to Geel by 67 points in rd 12, and lost to Adel by 33 points in rd 13. I was one of them. After the bye Dimma doubled down of our style and the rest is history.

Surprised so many are doubting our style.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
2019 was just last year. Until we are totally exposed and falling down the ladder I want us to continue our style of play that's proven to be so successful. It's what differentiates us from the others.

People were worried that teams had "figured us out" last year after we lost to North by 37 points in rd 11, lost to Geel by 67 points in rd 12, and lost to Adel by 33 points in rd 13. I was one of them. After the bye Dimma doubled down of our style and the rest is history.

Surprised so many are doubting our style.
Yeh, our style hasn't changed and is yet to be seriously tested when we have a fit full list to choose from. Not by anyone. We were wound up too early in 2018, Dimma and the fitness staff learned a lesson there. We get the band back together in mid-late Sep and we will give it a massive shake.

The Bris game proved that stats really are irrelevant when we have most of our parts in place.